Ciaran Clark (now a free agent)

Foluwashola

8 hours ago, Heron said:

Sorry to be 'that' guy but I think people are looking at this in a canny simplistic way.

Clark has been a good servant to the club. It may have been stupid what he did today, but he's done it whilst playing in soaring heat more than likely, whilst his PL career (and salary) is coming under much scrutiny and likely going down the pan and has already received a lot of criticism and most likely abuse for Norwich. So there absolutely is pressure for someone like him. 

That being my next point, what he did vs Norwich, whilst again, lacked a consideration for the bigger picture, playing as a CB myself, I'd have probably done the same in that position. It's easy for everyone to say from like 50m away or in retrospect or whatever, but our relegation rivals were in on goal and actually had we won, we'd have maybe argued he'd made the right call there.

I just think there's a higher level of pressure these days owing to the financial element of football. Some will rise to it, others will fall by the wayside. He's tried his best and has served his purpose here. That should be applauded, thanked and both parties should move on... 

I appreciate the measured post. I don’t care much about what he’s done in Saudi, the bloke looked like he rugby tackled him TBF. However, I have to take issue with the red against Norwich. That was idiotic, completely irrational given the context and not the action of a mature, experienced player.

25 minutes ago, Dr Venkman said:

I appreciate the measured post. I don’t care much about what he’s done in Saudi, the bloke looked like he rugby tackled him TBF. However, I have to take issue with the red against Norwich. That was idiotic, completely irrational given the context and not the action of a mature, experienced player.

I think Clark would be a good loan for a playoff pushing Championship club - possibly a Blackburn if the rumours about losing one of their centre halves is true. If Burn comes in, he's now the natural fall guy. 

5 hours ago, Newcastle Fan said:

He shouldn't have played for us since costing us the game against Norwich, really no point in having him anywhere near the squad, bring one of the youngsters in and give him a chance to develop.

I think the game last night was a chance to drop captain calamity and ready Schar for taking his role. Didn't really have any other option but to play Clark on the left. Really should not have been an issue.

I like the lad, he's served us well but that's the end of his career in toon.

13 hours ago, Heron said:

Sorry to be 'that' guy but I think people are looking at this in a canny simplistic way.

Clark has been a good servant to the club. It may have been stupid what he did today, but he's done it whilst playing in soaring heat more than likely, whilst his PL career (and salary) is coming under much scrutiny and likely going down the pan and has already received a lot of criticism and most likely abuse for Norwich. So there absolutely is pressure for someone like him. 

That being my next point, what he did vs Norwich, whilst again, lacked a consideration for the bigger picture, playing as a CB myself, I'd have probably done the same in that position. It's easy for everyone to say from like 50m away or in retrospect or whatever, but our relegation rivals were in on goal and actually had we won, we'd have maybe argued he'd made the right call there.

I just think there's a higher level of pressure these days owing to the financial element of football. Some will rise to it, others will fall by the wayside. He's tried his best and has served his purpose here. That should be applauded, thanked and both parties should move on... 

I honestly don’t care that he’s been a good servant, which in reality is nothing that he himself can lay claim to or own, because that false title is only down to Ashley, Bruce, penny pinching and us generally accepting the likes of Clark as a first-teamer or a good enough squad player because we wouldn’t spend anything to upgrade on him. In the Championship aye, but 6 years on? In short he can fuck off, Gary Speed was a good servant, Steve Harper, players and professionals of that ilk. This dumb cunt should never darken our first-team or reserve side again. He clearly can’t deal with any kind of pressure and if I was his team-mate, I’d have meeted out what he did to their player a long time a go. 

Kinda surprised, given the (valid) vitriol Clark got for his red card in Saudi Arabia, that there’s no discussion of his rejecting a loan move in the face of being deregistered at the Toon.

I’d be perfectly happy to pay out his contract and look forward to an era where the Ciaran Clark’s of the world only come to St James’ Park as opponents.

3 minutes ago, TRon said:

I'm just surprised he wasn't interested in going out on loan anywhere. Whatever his faults, never struck me as the type to sit around to be on a paid holiday instead of playing.

I’m not, he has had it cushy here and will still pick up his wages for an extended holiday basically. He can go to fuck as well, turning down game time and an opportunity to put himself into the shop window.

11 minutes ago, HTT II said:

I’m not, he has had it cushy here and will still pick up his wages for an extended holiday basically. He can go to fuck as well, turning down game time and an opportunity to put himself into the shop window.

I do think there's a hardcore at the club who have had it cushy for a while here, and maybe resent the influx of new players coming in and taking "their" jobs. Hayden's interview comes to mind, and we've also seen Lewis refuse to move elsewhere, even though he could easily have found a club. With Lewis I think he probably thinks he's above championship level now and didn't want to be seen to go backwards. But some of those like Hayden, Gayle and Clark are clearly just clinging on for the wages. They know they are past it.

Always thought he was steady away for us but has went downhill rapidly in the last 18months or so. 

We signed him to get us up and keep us up. He did that and chipped in with some important goals. Shame its ended/ending the way it has. But the right decision no bin him off no matter how you look at it. 

Bit of a sad end to it really. Not nice seeing players who've played their part get kept on past their sell by date to the extent that in the end the fans are pleased to see the back of them.

He leaves a few years ago and I think most would only have good memories of him. 

Can see the same happening with Ritchie and Gayle to a lesser extent and it's a shame considering what they've done in the past.

Edited by Kid Icarus

Blame it on Ashley, should have been moved on a few years ago and now ends like this. Hopefully he gets another club in the summer and moves on at a lower level. 

Edited by HWTL

He was a solid player for where we were at when we signed him, just should have been properly replaced earlier. Arguably he was with Lejeune. Some great goals but equally some terrible gaffes over the years. Good lad before he went full Colo the other week in that friendly. 

Take it he could still play in the reserves helping the bairns? Or is that for registered players only? 

Edited by toontownman