Dalian Atkinson (1968-2016)

Tsunami

21 hours ago, ED209 said:

This bit is from the BBC, looks like the defence would probably have a reasonable argument that the cops didn’t cause Atkinson to die with their actions. 

All three of the prosecution's medical experts, the court heard, agreed that while Mr Atkinson's enlarged heart meant that he could have died at any time, the prolonged period of Tasering and the kicks to his head made a "significant contribution" to his death.”

I'm sure there'll be a good case made for the police who are the finest in the world no doubt, but I read that there were witnesses who claimed that the police involved in this case kicked Atkinson in the head when he was prone on the ground, and his partner also whacked him with a baton while he was on the deck. 

2 hours ago, Robster said:

I want to believe that typo wasn't deliberate.

It's a common quantifier. A punch of posts, a fist of comments, a headlock of messages etc.

Edited by Candi_Hills

• 1 month later...

To be fair the prosecution will always accuse defendants of not telling the truth, the same as the defence will always accuse witnesses of not telling the truth. 

Edited by ED209

• 2 weeks later...

Turns out it’s not justifiable for a police officer to kick someone in the head then… :dog:

An absolute shitshow of a situation though, which could possibly have been avoided with properly funded mental health care in this country. Another one for the Tory government to sweep under the carpet.

Will be intrigued to see the verdict on the other police officer though, from what I saw/read the evidence was much less compelling.  

10 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

Turns out it’s not justifiable for a police officer to kick someone in the head then… :dog:

Dunno, if it's a terrorist trying to detonate a bomb vest, probably, if it's just because you're angry because the other officer is your girlfriend and you felt humiliated in front of her, as the Crown sucesfully argued in this case, probably not.

12 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

In THIS instance, then obviously no, it wasn’t justifiable. In another incident with different circumstances, then yes, it could well be justified, as we’ve discussed before.

13 minutes ago, Manxst said:

In THIS instance, then obviously no, it wasn’t justifiable. In another incident with different circumstances, then yes, it could well be justified, as we’ve discussed before.

Which is what I maintained - it’d need to be a very unique set of circumstances that are so infrequent it’s near on impossible.

Not including terrorism as that’d super-seed everything.

My word. Fantail Breeze talking absolute hogwash again. 

of course under the right circumstances it can be lawful and justified to kick someone in the head. 

This case however is another nail I the coffin for me. I will think seriously about carrying taser, using driving exemptions, pursuing cars etc etc etc in future.  If there’s a risk of going to prison for putting myself in harms way doing my job I just won’t put myself in harms way any more. It’s simply not worth it. 

Edited by ED209
Added more

7 minutes ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

Super-seed [emoji38]

As well as having a poor grasp of written English he has no idea of the law around use of force. 

Whether an incident is terrorism or anything else has no bearing on use of force legislation. The law allows you to use a level of force that is reasonable in the circumstances of a situation, whatever that situation may be. 

It doesn’t say that you can kick a terrorist in the head but if the bloke who is trying to kill you isn’t a terrorist then you can’t 

39 minutes ago, ED209 said:

My word. Fantail Breeze talking absolute hogwash again. 

of course under the right circumstances it can be lawful and justified to kick someone in the head. 

This case however is another nail I the coffin for me. I will think seriously about carrying taser, using driving exemptions, pursuing cars etc etc etc in future.  If there’s a risk of going to prison for putting myself in harms way doing my job I just won’t put myself in harms way any more. It’s simply not worth it. 

Which I have said in the post above.

The latter part of your post is bollocks.

Seems like a pretty sensible verdict. Jury felt that the officer acted unlawfully, but could not be sure he intended to cause a really serious injury. I suspect the officer was given more latitude than Joe Soap would have been regarding a kick in the head and intention to cause serious injury but that is speculation. Proving intent to the criminal standard is a difficult issue to Prosecute particularly so in a homicide, and particularly where there is no motive or evidence toward pre-meditation. 

1 hour ago, ED209 said:

What exactly is bollocks about it?

Because you’re completely protected providing you’re using reasonable force, as we’ve been around several times.

There’s a distinct difference to kicking someone in the head and pursuing cars.

This officer didn’t use reasonable force and he’s correctly been prosecuted for it.

17 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

Because you’re completely protected providing you’re using reasonable force, as we’ve been around several times.

There’s a distinct difference to kicking someone in the head and pursuing cars.

This officer didn’t use reasonable force and he’s correctly been prosecuted for it.

can you explain to me what protection UK law gives me if I pursue a car and it goes badly wrong?

(the answer is none)