Christian Atsu (1992–2023)

Kaizero

2 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Yeah I think, but as soon as the PA said Atsu's name people just immediately started clapping.

Aye not on then, it seems to have taken over the last couple of years. You don't get clapping during the Remembrance Day and rightly so. Personally I just don't think it is respectful. 

1 minute ago, et tu brute said:

Aye not on then, it seems to have taken over the last couple of years. You don't get clapping during the Remembrance Day and rightly so. Personally I just don't think it is respectful. 

It has become that automatic. That I was in SJP one year and people started clapping the remembrance day silence 😑 

Just now, et tu brute said:

Agree. Minute of silence would have made way more sense. He didn't win an award, the poor fellow was killed.

8 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

Was it announced before the game there was going to be a minute's silence? I know it's no excuse mind as this wasn't an occasion for clapping. Clapping in my mind is not showing respect in such tragic circumstances. 

I think it was handled badly from our side tbh. We got stuck between honouring Bobby Robson and paying respects to our fallen. Just a really hard day to cope with so many conflicting emotions.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Was just thinking about them the other day because of Liverpool's supporters coming up. Glad the kid is doing ok. Amid all this joy it's easy to forget some terrible things are going on. Would be nice to think the club have given a bit of quiet support in the background.

8 minutes ago, 80 said:

Was just thinking about them the other day because of Liverpool's supporters coming up. Glad the kid is doing ok. Amid all this joy it's easy to forget some terrible things are going on. Would be nice to think the club have given a bit of quiet support in the background.

He came up in my thoughts as well recently. To see one of our recent players involved in a natural disaster is quite a shock to the system.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Really tragic, still so sad. He played with a smile on his face and to his best ability, was clearly a lovely lad.

RIP Christian.

Edited by Amir_9