Non-league football

Crumpy Gunt

North Shields v Newcastle U23

This coming Thursday at the morgue. Northumberland senior cup.

Previous game postponed because NUFC couldn't muster a team.

You sure? I'm sure I seen North Shields getting a bit of stick for not being able to fulfil the fixture for some off the field reason (?)

Anyway, I shall be attending. Promised a mate (NS fan) I'd come after he came to previous round Morpeth vs Toon U23s. Morpeth were unlucky in the end after coming back to 2-2. Toon U23s were poor and in my view over coached. You had some young coach barking instructions all game about shape and defence. The young lads couldn't express themselves, Peter Beardsley stood there with hands in pocket had me thinking - bet no one coached him like that! Anyway, since then Newcastle's best player (Callum Roberts) is out on loan so I fancy North Shields to win.

You sure? I'm sure I seen North Shields getting a bit of stick for not being able to fulfil the fixture for some off the field reason (?)

Anyway, I shall be attending. Promised a mate (NS fan) I'd come after he came to previous round Morpeth vs Toon U23s. Morpeth were unlucky in the end after coming back to 2-2. Toon U23s were poor and in my view over coached. You had some young coach barking instructions all game about shape and defence. The young lads couldn't express themselves, Peter Beardsley stood there with hands in pocket had me thinking - bet no one coached him like that! Anyway, since then Newcastle's best player (Callum Roberts) is out on loan so I fancy North Shields to win.

it was definitely NUFC asked the game to be rearranged.

Here's hoping Shields can pull it off. Hopefully a canny turnout.

Stourbridge currently 3-0 up at half time so they'll go into second and 7 behind Blyth having played the same amount of games. They look the only team consistent enough to realistically threaten Blyth. Grantham are in great form but have to much ground to make up IMO.

February is a big month though

Blyth away at Warrington tomorrow and then Stourbridge have a tough away game at Grantham on Saturday.

Blyth go to Stourbridge on Saturday 18th and then go to Spennymoor on Tues 28th. If they come through those 2 fixtures and still have at least a 5 point lead then i'm sure they will win the league

This rain could see it off.

North Shields win 10/ 9 on penalties after a 1.1 draw.

• 2 weeks later...

Blyth beat Corby 4-2 yesterday, to move 14 points clear at the top of the NPL. :) 11 wins on the bounce too. :)

Excellent that!

Good 2-0 win for South Shields yesterday over Shildon with my mate Finnigan getting the 2nd! 21 wins a row!

• 2 weeks later...

We are 50 Norwegians coming over to watch Newcastle - Leeds in April. The match is Friday, which is great, but we are looking for a decent non league match to attend Saturday 15th. It needs to be less then an hour to travel from Newcastle.

Both Gateshead, Blyth Spartans and Darlington are not possible. Gateshead are playing Friday and Spartans and Darlington are playing away. So I found these two alternatives for Saturday 3pm.

South Shields - Morpeth Town, Northern League Division One

Spennymoor Town - Rushall Olympic, Northern Premier League Premier Division

Which one of these matches do you recommend? I know it´s much easier to travel to South Shields, but I think it´s fun to go a bit further out from Newcastle, so thats why Spennymoor is an alternative.

Or do you guys recommend somewhere else? Northern Football League does have a lot of local teams, but I don´t really know if any of the other teams are worth visiting. The quality of the game is not that important. We just need a good place around the stadium to take a drink and just a decent experience overall.

I'd only go to Spennymoor if you've got a fetish for absolutely shit places housing local yokels with atrocious accents.

Shields v Morpeth will probably be a decent game with a big crowd. You might want to get in touch with the club pre-turning up though to sort something out. If you're keen to get out of Newcastle/Tyneside, Shildon v Consett could also be an option.

Looking forward to Coleshill Town v South Shields FA vase semi final tomorrow as I live 20mns drive from the ground. Will have radio and earphones on following our score v Fulham at the same time of course.

There is no love lost between South Shields and Morpeth after the floodlight failure in the Vase so it will be a tasty one, but it will be absolutely rammed.

How long are you guys staying for? There is usually a full set of fixtures on Easter Monday, too.

Haha. No trip to Spennymoor then.

Thanks guys. South Shields v Morpeth Town sounds like a very fine one.

Most of us will be there from Thursday - Sunday, including me, but I´ll guess some will be there Monday as well.

Haha. No trip to Spennymoor then.

Thanks guys. South Shields v Morpeth Town sounds like a very fine one.

Most of us will be there from Thursday - Sunday, including me, but I´ll guess some will be there Monday as well.

Only problem with South Shields is they are currently a bit of a band wagon club and it will be crowded and not so easy to use bar facilities etc.

Shildon v Consett is a good shout as it is a classic old non league ground with an old fashioned club house bar under the stand.

May also be worth considering Berwick Rangers if they are at home. It's a very easy train journey, about 45 minutes, with about 3 trains an hour from Newcastle Central. Although Scottish league it feels "non league" and the standard is not much higher than the northern league. Also plenty of pubs in Berwick and as always it will seem like the beer is free for you Norwegian guys  ;)