Non-league football

Crumpy Gunt

Gateshead need a point from their final two matches, or Brackley not to take 6 points from theirs, so looks almost nailed on. Both play Hereford, Gateshead at home, Brackley away.

Spennymoor have an outside chance of the playoffs.

Great news about Consett. That league (positively) lost Marske today, but there will be an extra former Northern League team there next year with N Shields and Consett, making it to 6 (N Shields, Consett, Hebburn, Shildon, Dunston, and Stockton), and that's got to be great news regarding travel and costs. Hopefully a few more join in the coming years.

Quite the result from Blyth that mind , looked the biggest home banker of the day .

Curzon Ashton tomorrow, will be at this one , no doubt will lose :lol:

On 30/04/2022 at 23:34, Optimistic Nut said:

Was not expecting that.

Gotta draw the line somewhere, especially if they help us get promoted - one hell of a beautiful goal from JJ I must admit.

I've often thought, if, hypothetically, Gateshead came into a little bit of money, and ended up a solid enough League One club, like say a Fleetwood, but on a slightly larger scale where they could maybe have the potential to go even further, would that impact Newcastle in any way? Like in terms of support, or viewing the club differently instead of being a small, local club who you like to see do well, to hmmm, wait a second... 

Edited by Paullow

3 hours ago, Paullow said:

I've often thought, if, hypothetically, Gateshead came into a little bit of money, and ended up a solid enough League One club, like say a Fleetwood, but on a slightly larger scale where they could maybe have the potential to go even further, would that impact Newcastle in any way? Like in terms of support, or viewing the club differently instead of being a small, local club who you like to see do well, to hmmm, wait a second... 

I honestly don’t think they would have the support base to be a League One team, or sustain it. Gateshead despite being classed as a separate town is very much Newcastle, it is like saying Byker isn’t Newcastle. Also a successful Newcastle would also mean that it would be competing against a giant.

Thats not to say that it wouldn’t have Newcastle fans based on Gateshead looking out for them as a 2nd club though. I do think though that Premier League games need to shift to Sunday fixtures, as this would help smaller clubs lower down the football pyramid and even non-league games.

How good would it be for NUFC to have a day like yesterday for Non-League day every year?

Imaging having 2 games on the same day, or even 4 games over a weekend when Newcastle are not plying of local teams like a Gateshead, North Shields, Hebburn, Morpeth etc? Get them in for cheap, get the fans geared up for these games. Give them a big weekend.

Edited by Stifler

24 minutes ago, Stifler said:

I honestly don’t think they would have the support base to be a League One team, or sustain it. Gateshead despite being classed as a superset town is very much Newcastle, it is like saying Byker isn’t Newcastle. Also a successful Newcastle would also mean that it would be competing against a giant.

Thats not to say that it wouldn’t have Newcastle fans based on Gateshead looking out for them as a 2nd club though. I do think though that Premier League games need to shift to Sunday fixtures, as this would help smaller clubs lower down the football pyramid and even non-league games.

How good would it be for NUFC to have a day like yesterday for Non-League day every year?

Imaging having 2 games on the same day, or even 4 games over a weekend when Newcastle are not plying of local teams like a Gateshead, North Shields, Hebburn, Morpeth etc? Get them in for cheap, get the fans geared up for these games. Give them a big weekend.

Yeah, Gateshead definitely contributes to the 'one club city' factor, as well as North Tyneside, because without those, the popn is just around 300k and around the same size as Coventry or Leicester where the one club city is never mentioned, whereas with them, it's nearer 700k who's primary club will be Newcastle.

Probably the obvious links between the two settlements as you say, the whole Geordie identity etc. differentiates the situation, but there are far smaller places with successful FL clubs - Forest Green, based in Nailsworth, popn 8k, will have League One football next season, Fleetwood average around 3,500 and that town's popn is only 25k and about most of those fans would be new fans, Accrington 35k popn with a lot of significant clubs around it, likewise Morecambe with the same popn.

I remember when they got to the Conference play off final a few years back, I was wanting them to get promoted as it would have been really good to have another north east side in the football league, but I definitely did have those thoughts at the time of what if.

Guest HTT II
1 hour ago, Paullow said:

They have a sizeable element who are/were NUFC and give it up under Ashley, a minority of hardcore fans and the rest are still Toon fans who go to their games for the craic, and how accessible and cheap it is. What they have now is probably as good as it gets, they would get 3k max in the league on a good day which isn’t sufficient. They will sadly yo-yo between the non-league divisions. 

What's going on with these National North and South divisions? I assume covid has affected clubs in the past few years, but looking back at 2018/19 and prior seasons, there were 22 teams in the league, and 3 went down, but why are only 1 of the 22 teams going down this year - will the leagues be 24 teams going forward? The National League and South both have odd numbers of teams, so I assume they must have lost a team along the way, but it does look a bit of a mess.

A full round of fixtures at 3pm in the 5th tier and then the regional divisions. Stockport look like they are making a pigs ear of their title charge, losing 3 of their last 4 games, and if they drop points today at playoff chasing Chesterfield, the title could be in Wrexham's hands as they still have to play each other, and Stockport have other tough games after that as well. Relegation is all sorted.

Gateshead can officially seal the title and promotion with a win, or if Brackley fail to win, or they can all but confirm it with a point if Brackley were to win. Spennymoor can put pressure on those above them if they beat relegated Guiseley.

It's also Scarborough Athletic vs Warrington for a place in the National North next season.

10 minutes ago, Paullow said:

What's going on with these National North and South divisions? I assume covid has affected clubs in the past few years, but looking back at 2018/19 and prior seasons, there were 22 teams in the league, and 3 went down, but why are only 1 of the 22 teams going down this year - will the leagues be 24 teams going forward? The National League and South both have odd numbers of teams, so I assume they must have lost a team along the way, but it does look a bit of a mess.

A full round of fixtures at 3pm in the 5th tier and then the regional divisions. Stockport look like they are making a pigs ear of their title charge, losing 3 of their last 4 games, and if they drop points today at playoff chasing Chesterfield, the title could be in Wrexham's hands as they still have to play each other, and Stockport have other tough games after that as well. Relegation is all sorted.

Gateshead can officially seal the title and promotion with a win, or if Brackley fail to win, or they can all but confirm it with a point if Brackley were to win. Spennymoor can put pressure on those above them if they beat relegated Guiseley.

It's also Scarborough Athletic vs Warrington for a place in the National North next season.

Yeah; they’re both going to 24 teams from next season hence why it’s a bit of a mess and obviously a bit of a hangover from the last couple of years where things have been if not more of a mess.

Brackley 2-0 up, and Gateshead 0-1 down, so looking like it's going to the final day at this stage, but still time for the Heed to get the point they need.

Scarborough 1 up in their final. Just realised there's a legit stream with commentary if anyone is interested. Probably not many apart from possibly @Yorkie

Edited by Paullow

Their ‘local’ derby will be against Halifax next season (assuming they don’t go up), some absolutely brutal away trips n all to Yeovil and Torquay and the SE. 

Possibly York or Spennymoor, although the latter aren't doing their playoff hopes any good being held at relegated Guiseley.

Scarborough (I still kind of half see them as local, especially as I used to always go there as a lad, and the town is featured on Looked North) are 1-1, but Warrington have been down to 10 men for about 20 mins.

Gateshead now 2-2. 

Hereford have pulled one back against Brackley, 1-2.

Edited by Paullow

Scarborough 2-1

Christ, Guiseley 1-0 Spennymoor, that's Moors knackered.

Actually Guiseley aren't already down, so it was a harder match than it first looked, still disappointing though.

Edited by Paullow