Non-league football

Crumpy Gunt

On 09/11/2022 at 15:19, FCB said:

He was an absolute cunt to the 'volunteers'/group who kept the club running, so using their legally contracted rights they've pretty much disbanded the club.

He still owes 2k iirc to another local club, keeps making excuses not to pay them back.

This isn’t quite right. Bernard is definitely at fault - he’s neglected the club and run it into the ground over the last 9 years as he’s clueless. But instead he’d handed full control to a delusional Australian agent (Chris Tanner) who insulted half the NE non league community on Twitter, got through several club secretaries, and was purely focused on making money out of the club. In 13 games at Step 7 they’d conceded 128 goals. Bernard was finally forced to act when national press took notice of Tanner’s online behaviour and the results after fan pressure.

There is no endgame for Bernard. He’s got no interest, but won’t give up the club for free after investing in the past. He’s now resurrected a previous committee (who do care), presumably in the hope it’ll magically turn around. It won’t until he cuts his losses and let’s someone who cares take charge.

In the meantime, the club have been reprieved by the Wearside League on the understanding Bernard repays the 2k debt to Willington, and the new (old) committee will try to rebuild from scratch. Tanner is now trying to sell all the club strips, tracksuits and kit online as he claims it belongs to him… 

Edited by wharton

On 13/11/2022 at 21:13, wharton said:

This isn’t quite right. Bernard is definitely at fault - he’s neglected the club and run it into the ground over the last 9 years as he’s clueless. But instead he’d handed full control to a delusional Australian agent (Chris Tanner) who insulted half the NE non league community on Twitter, got through several club secretaries, and was purely focused on making money out of the club. In 13 games at Step 7 they’d conceded 128 goals. Bernard was finally forced to act when national press took notice of Tanner’s online behaviour and the results after fan pressure.

There is no endgame for Bernard. He’s got no interest, but won’t give up the club for free after investing in the past. He’s now resurrected a previous committee (who do care), presumably in the hope it’ll magically turn around. It won’t until he cuts his losses and let’s someone who cares take charge.

In the meantime, the club have been reprieved by the Wearside League on the understanding Bernard repays the 2k debt to Willington, and the new (old) committee will try to rebuild from scratch. Tanner is now trying to sell all the club strips, tracksuits and kit online as he claims it belongs to him… 

Ah I see, both in the wrong then (one more than the other) - I was only aware of bits and bobs occasionally posted on Twitter.

Saw a post on FB through the week that North Shields have to commit to some ground improvements before March, otherwise they will be chucked out of the Unibond East. These include

* A two-person turnstile

* Around the pitch fencing

* A covered allseater stand for 150 people

* Covered standing for 200

I think they can apply for a grant to cover 'some' of the cost....... it will be a big ask!

Blyth won 4-2 in the FA Trophy yesterday - Cedric Main bagging all 4. I think Shields lost 3-0 at Worksop Ashington won and are back on top of the northern league.

On 20/11/2022 at 18:26, Big Geordie said:

Saw a post on FB through the week that North Shields have to commit to some ground improvements before March, otherwise they will be chucked out of the Unibond East. These include

* A two-person turnstile

I think they can apply for a grant to cover 'some' of the cost....... it will be a big ask!

Blyth won 4-2 in the FA Trophy yesterday - Cedric Main bagging all 4. I think Shields lost 3-0 at Worksop Ashington won and are back on top of the northern league.

Knowing North Shields, they will probably not bother in order to be relegated. They have refused promotion in the past and only took it this time because they had too.

In all honesty a new small stadium for them at the old Wet N Wild site on the Royal Quays would be ideal.

4 hours ago, Stifler said:

Knowing North Shields, they will probably not bother in order to be relegated. They have refused promotion in the past and only took it this time because they had too.

In all honesty a new small stadium for them at the old Wet N Wild site on the Royal Quays would be ideal.

Do they not already have a new small stadium? 

11 hours ago, Stifler said:

On the basis of what? They sought promotion and are actively seeking help to get this done, which I'm sure they will.

It's certainly a lot less work than a brand new ground on the outskirts of nowhere much.

After deciding eight or nine months of not being a total basket case was far too boring, York have sacked the manager who got them promotion and appointed a guy who has never managed anyone, but was Eddie Howe's Head of Scouting for a couple years at Bournemouth (signed Wilson).

On 20/11/2022 at 18:26, Big Geordie said:

* A two-person turnstile

Shields were let down by a potential invester who had promised to pay the funds required. Something like £45k apparently needs to be raised by March. If it's not raised and the work isn't started then relegation will follow. Strong chance it'll be relegated to NL2 which would be a disaster. They set up a gofundme which has raised £800ish to date. (one donor pitching in £500)

Zero chance they'll raise £45k in my humble opinion unless a sponsor can be found. 

7 hours ago, BUJ said:

Shields were let down by a potential invester who had promised to pay the funds required. Something like £45k apparently needs to be raised by March. If it's not raised and the work isn't started then relegation will follow. Strong chance it'll be relegated to NL2 which would be a disaster. They set up a gofundme which has raised £800ish to date. (one donor pitching in £500)

Zero chance they'll raise £45k in my humble opinion unless a sponsor can be found. 

It's a tough time to be trying to raise that kind of money. :( Guess we will have to wait and see what happens.

National League TV is Live! The Vanarama National League is delighted to announce a two- week trial phase of its new streaming service National League TV.

Fans can subscribe at www.nationalleaguetv.com and start streaming National Division matches from Saturday 10th December 2022.

During the trial phase, match day passes for each round of National League games will be at a reduced price of £4.75. Fans will have the ability to switch between any National Division match streamed on any given match day.

The National League will be using the first two-week trial period, to launch further platform functionalities ahead of its full launch.

https://www.thenationalleague.org.uk/national-league-tv-is-launched-stream-games-now-73711

• 3 weeks later...

Big win for Darlington away at Scarborough, 2-5, to go top of the National North (although Kings Lynn have 3 games in hand on them). That was a regular football league match in my early days, but obviously both have had really tough times these past 20 years, and have been much lower down the pyramid in recent years, but good to see both in promotion contention.