Newcastle United vs Brentford - 15/10/16 @ 15:00 (No TV)

Hopefully it'll pan out to him missing the cup match as he'd probably be rested anyway.

Deliberate yellow card in the Ipswich home game next Saturday?

If he doesn't get one before.

Wouldn't be the least bit surprised

http://www.shieldsgazette.com/sport/football/newcastle-united/rafa-benitez-responds-to-calls-for-him-to-play-two-strikers-at-newcastle-and-addresses-mohamed-diame-s-form-1-8182451?

Rafa Benitez is set to keep faith with Mohamed Diame at Newcastle United.

The midfielder, signed from Hull City in the summer, is yet to find his stride at the Championship club.

Some fans have called for Benitez to play Aleksandar Mitrovic alongside seven-goal Dwight Gayle.

However, United manager Benitez is minded to continue with Diame as a No 10 behind Gayle against Brentford at St James’s Park this afternoon.

“Diame’s working very hard, and he’s unlucky in front of goal,” said Benitez.

“I think he has to keep going, and give more, and he was saying this week that he knows he needs to give us something more in attack. But he’s working very hard. He’s trying to do the right things.

“What would worry me is if he didn’t have chances, but he had chances against Aston Villa to score, and unfortunately he couldn’t.

“If he has chances, he will eventually score goals and that’s not a problem.

“I know everybody says ‘why don’t you play with two strikers?’, but it depends on the rest of the team at the same time.

“Can you control the midfield without this second striker?

“You might be more dangerous with two strikers, but then you have less power and less control in the middle.”

Asked what was Diame’s best position, Benitez added: “He’s not a proper No 10. We know that.

“But he’s someone who is doing a great job and he has the legs to go into the wide areas or around behind defenders and to create spaces for others.”

http://www.shieldsgazette.com/sport/football/newcastle-united/rafa-benitez-responds-to-calls-for-him-to-play-two-strikers-at-newcastle-and-addresses-mohamed-diame-s-form-1-8182451?

The midfielder, signed from Hull City in the summer, is yet to find his stride at the Championship club.

Some fans have called for Benitez to play Aleksandar Mitrovic alongside seven-goal Dwight Gayle.

However, United manager Benitez is minded to continue with Diame as a No 10 behind Gayle against Brentford at St James’s Park this afternoon.

“I think he has to keep going, and give more, and he was saying this week that he knows he needs to give us something more in attack. But he’s working very hard. He’s trying to do the right things.

“What would worry me is if he didn’t have chances, but he had chances against Aston Villa to score, and unfortunately he couldn’t.

“I know everybody says ‘why don’t you play with two strikers?’, but it depends on the rest of the team at the same time.

“You might be more dangerous with two strikers, but then you have less power and less control in the middle.”

Asked what was Diame’s best position, Benitez added: “He’s not a proper No 10. We know that.

“But he’s someone who is doing a great job and he has the legs to go into the wide areas or around behind defenders and to create spaces for others.”

Oh ffs this is the one thing that's pissing me off about Rafa at the moment. What use is that extra man in midfield if he's performing to the level diame has this season. We are at home to Brentford (not the worst team in the world but certainly not one to have to worry too much about them dominating the middle of the park) we should be able to play with 2 strikers. The last time we played with two it did not work out too bad with a 6-0 win.

Can see a frustrating game where we dominate possession yet fail to take our chances and give away something against the run of play. Hope I'm wrong but playing Diame again pisses me off, he's done nothing to deserve his place in the team.

Oh ffs this is the one thing that's pissing me off about Rafa at the moment. What use is that extra man in midfield if he's performing to the level diame has this season. We are at home to Brentford (not the worst team in the world but certainly not one to have to worry too much about them dominating the middle of the park) we should be able to play with 2 strikers. The last time we played with two it did not work out too bad with a 6-0 win.

Can see a frustrating game where we dominate possession yet fail to take our chances and give away something against the run of play. Hope I'm wrong but playing Diame again pisses me off, he's done nothing to deserve his place in the team.

I feel the same. I am also getting annoyed at Mitrovic not getting to start a game. Whatever anybody says about him we look a much better side when he is on the pitch even if he doesn't score.

Guest neesy111

I feel the same. I am also getting annoyed at Mitrovic not getting to start a game. Whatever anybody says about him we look a much better side when he is on the pitch even if he doesn't score.

Aston Villa says hi.

Massive thing with Rafa is "control" which is why he is portrayed as a negative manager, thing is he has the tactical acumen to back this up, though I do think he could learn to go for it a bit more without going too over the top, but would much rather have solid foundations in place for us to go into games with a clear plan control the game and win rather than the Keeganesque tactics of "going for it" it's not sustainable these days.

Aston Villa says hi.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :( I guess you remember what you want to remember...

Personally i'd play Mitrovic instead of Diame! If we attack them and have most of the ball and press them back then his physical presence alone will be a big advantage for us as we would have a focal point.

Having Mitro in there when we lift the ball in would make us so much more dangerous than with Gayle alone against all the orcs.

Hopefully Gouffran gets a rest (can't see it though)

I can't see it happening and tbh I really hope not! Gouffs work rate has been fantastic and he really helps cover Dummett on the left hand side.

Gouffran and Ritchie on the wings with Atsu playing as a no 10 could be interesting but it looks like we are sticking with Diame