Nintendo Switch

Mole_Toonfan

seems reasonable to me tbh, must be another processing unit in that stand thing to get it up to 1080 so to keep it running at a stable framerate on a handhelds hardware 720p sounds fine

This is really what I want to know. Is it just a tablet connecting to a screen, or is there additional processing power in the stand thing that it connects in to. The latter is innovative and interesting. The former is RIP Nintendo.

Though a 720p screen on that thing is a little shit still like.

I have no interest in the portability thing at all, but if they're making a console to rival PS4 with Zelda etc on it, I'm in.

Probably just you, yeah. :lol:

I probably wouldn't even play it out and about, I've just wanted a normal, straight down the line Nintendo console since the Gamecube, and that's the nearest it's got to looking like they've gone back to that.

This basically.

Guest neesy111

I have no interest in the portability thing at all, but if they're making a console to rival PS4 with Zelda etc on it, I'm in.

It won't be able to do anything like the PS4 in terms of RAW power.

seems reasonable to me tbh, must be another processing unit in that stand thing to get it up to 1080 so to keep it running at a stable framerate on a handhelds hardware 720p sounds fine

This is really what I want to know. Is it just a tablet connecting to a screen, or is there additional processing power in the stand thing that it connects in to. The latter is innovative and interesting. The former is RIP Nintendo.

:thup: I'm assuming that stand isn't just a glorified HDMI port, I'd take back my hype if it is.

Guest neesy111

The framerate will suffer a lot jumping from 720 to 1080 though. People are constantly moaning about publishers choosing 1080p & 30fps over 720p & 60fps.

Depends whether it's just a console or will it do other functions?  If it's only a 720p screen then they'll need to reflect it in the price.

I'm out of touch with the PS4/Xbone, are they running 1080p with a decent frame rate as the norm these days?

Either way, I can't imagine Nintendo have managed to get the processing power for that into a 6in tablet form factor. Even the newest console revisions are miles away from those dimensions.

I'm out of touch with the PS4/Xbone, are they running 1080p with a decent frame rate as the norm these days?

Either way, I can't imagine Nintendo have managed to get the processing power for that into a 6in tablet form factor. Even the newest console revisions are miles away from those dimensions.

They're both releasing 'new' consoles this year because they're massively under-powered.

Xbox Scorpio & PS4 Pro

Guest neesy111

They're both releasing 'new' consoles this year because they're massively under-powered.

Xbox Scorpio & PS4 Pro

Scorpio is next year.

Phones had 1080p screens in 2012, five years before this will have come out. They could scale down the resolution on games to retain the frame rate if they need to, but the screen really doesn't have an excuse of being that low.

Rather have 720/60 than 1080/30 tbh, especially on a small screen like that

People expect more than that these days though, as neesy mentioned. Am I right in thinking they could put a 1080 screen in it and upscale 720 for games (keeping the framerate?) and then allow 1080 for media?

As an example, Sony Xperia z5 had a 4k screen last year, but only used the full 4k for videos and photos, the rest of the time it operated in 1080p.

Samsung will probably do the same next year, but possibly having 4k only in VR.

Phones have 1080p screens but not 60fps performance on AAA games. Neither do consoles in the majority of cases. There's no point looking pretty if they can't maintain a stable frame rate. A 720p game on a 720p native screen looks fine and runs butter smooth. A 720p game on a 1080p screen on the other hand looks cack

Guest firetotheworks

That's video output, ie to the TV. 720 would surely be fine on a handheld?

Yes, but considering you can buy a phone with a 1080p screen for less than 100 quid, it's poor.

Phone's don't display graphics like that at 1080p though.

Guest firetotheworks

Nah, at best they're hitting 1080p at 30fps or 720p at 60fps, sometimes it's even 720p at 30fps. The newer versions are aiming to hit 1080p at 60fps, but holding Nintendo to account on the handheld element isn't really fair imo. resolution capability and processing graphics at a resolution are totally different things.

Guest firetotheworks

Phones had 1080p screens in 2012, five years before this will have come out. They could scale down the resolution on games to retain the frame rate if they need to, but the screen really doesn't have an excuse of being that low.

They could display 1080p resolution yes, but it's not at all a fair comparison. My phone will display 1080p resolution and so will my PC, but only one of those will play The Witcher 3 (for example) at +60fps. The comparison isn't at all relevant.