Nintendo Switch

Mole_Toonfan

Guest firetotheworks

Phones have 1080p screens but not 60fps performance on AAA games. Neither do consoles in the majority of cases. There's no point looking pretty if they can't maintain a stable frame rate. A 720p game on a 720p native screen looks fine and runs butter smooth. A 720p game on a 1080p screen on the other hand looks cack

:thup:

Exactly this.

That's video output, ie to the TV. 720 would surely be fine on a handheld?

Yes, but considering you can buy a phone with a 1080p screen for less than 100 quid, it's poor.

Phone's don't display graphics like that at 1080p though.

Aye exactly :lol: a handheld console running modern AAA games at 720p/60 would be very impressive IMO

I wouldn't worry about frame rates with Nintendo, they care about it more than any other major developer I can think of.

Third party might be an issue though I suppose.

Exactly, that's why the screen is 720p

Guest firetotheworks

That's video output, ie to the TV. 720 would surely be fine on a handheld?

Yes, but considering you can buy a phone with a 1080p screen for less than 100 quid, it's poor.

Phone's don't display graphics like that at 1080p though.

Aye exactly :lol: a handheld console running modern AAA games at 720p/60 would be very impressive IMO

Aye, extremely impressive considering the current performance of the PS4 and XBox One.

Guest neesy111

I'm not talking about playing games at 1080p but a handheld device that only has a screen resolution of 720p is poor considering how cheap they are to manufacture.

Are they just touting this a pure gaming device or will it turn into a tablet for other tasks?

Guest firetotheworks

Not to mention that if those stats are correct, the video output is 1080p at 60fps or 4k at 30fps, which (providing there's extra juice in that docking thing) means that it's there or abouts the PS4 Pro and XBox One Scorpio with those two specific specs.

Guest firetotheworks

I'm not talking about playing games at 1080p but a handheld device that only has a screen resolution of 720p is poor considering how cheap they are to manufacture.

Are they just touting this a pure gaming device or will it turn into a tablet for other tasks?

A 720p game on a 1080p screen on the other hand looks cack

Guest firetotheworks

Hard to tell with Nintendo these days, my guess would be that there'll be some form of other integration, but they might still be shit scared of someone working out how to put an emulator on it or something. Hence the ds style cartridges maybe.

It's a handheld games console though, not a phone or a tablet. The native resolution of the screen needs to be fit for its primary purpose even if it doubles up as a tablet or whatever, because otherwise the games will look rubbish on it if performance dictates they need to run at 720p. 720p on a 720p screen looks nice, whereas it looks garbage and muddy on a native 1080p screen.

Guest firetotheworks

I'm not at all convinced by those stats anyway tbh. I'd be really, really surprised if they ended up releasing games at 4k with a solid 30fps. If they do that I'll be buying one without hesitation because that's seriously impressive for a maxwell GPU.

Guest neesy111

I'm not at all convinced by those stats anyway tbh. I'd be really, really surprised if they ended up releasing games at 4k with a solid 30fps. If they do that I'll be buying one without hesitation because that's seriously impressive for a maxwell GPU.

Apparently the mobile versions of nvidia's newest chips are giving same performance as the desktop counterparts.  Not sure how they've achieved that.

Guest firetotheworks

Not a chance of that IMO, if they do similar to the PS4/Xbox One then I'll be impressed considering Nintendo's history :lol:

Hmm, I dunno. Some Maxwell GPUs will hit 4k at around 30 or 40fps with low settings like, it's doable if they optimise. Agree about Nintendo's history though, it's just not in their nature to go high spec.

Guest firetotheworks

The whole 1080p 60fps, 4k etc thing is really weird anyway tbh. The technology is still way behind everyone's requirements and budget at the moment, but I can't imagine that it'll stay like that for long, affordable 4k gaming at 60fps is what a lot of people want, so they're obviously going to get there asap...then it'll be 8K probably, with the Chinese already showing off about it :lol:

Guest firetotheworks

Apparently the mobile versions of nvidia's newest chips are giving same performance as the desktop counterparts.  Not sure how they've achieved that.

Really? I saw a predator laptop with 2 GTX1080s in it, but a mobile doing anywhere near to that sounds insane. Do you have a link?

Guest neesy111

Really? I saw a predator laptop with 2 GTX1080s in it, but a mobile doing anywhere near to that sounds insane. Do you have a link?

I'll have a look.  Mobile for them might mean laptop mind.

Guest neesy111

Interesting. That makes it sound like a Nintendo branded Nvidia Shield.

That was my thoughts.  It's just a shield with a unique controller aspect.

The timing is right for this kind of machine from Nintendo. They have admitted that the 3DS is being pushed to the limit by the next pair of Pokemon games and potential competitors like the nVidia Shield are starting to show how dated the 3DS is. New technology from nVidia etc is opening the door to advances in the portable market.

On the other hand the home console market has been a two horse race for over a decade. Nintendo are unlikely to break into the market and thrive against two solid competitors that are producing expensive hardware that many people already have invested in. (It will be interesting to see how many reinvest in their updated consoles) For me it's a smart move to go with a hybrid machine that explores the potential of taking mobile gaming to a new level but still allows the player to hook up to a TV when at home.

There are obviously a great number of risks involved including pricing, battery life, technical specifications, onboard storage space etc but equally there are a great amount of opportunities to explore. The tech advances are making portable gaming an expanding market and one in which Nintendo has a massive advantage because it has it's own library of exclusive titles which competitor devices such as the nVidia Shield do not. Effectively other devices are limited to running third party titles which are also available on home console/PC butlook much better on those devices. Should more portable specific games be produced by the likes of Activision/EA etc then they are likely to find their way to Nintendo's machine anyway. Add that to the fact that working on just the one system should ensure that the machine sees a lot more quality software than either the 3DS or Wii-U has over the years.

Still a lot of speculation out there and not many details. The only thing we really know now is what the machine looks like as most of the previous leaked data was correct. I'll cross my fingers that the information regarding Mario, Pokemon games etc was right too.

Guest firetotheworks

I was just about to show the Wii sales figures and then noticed that it came out in 2006. Fucking hell, it doesn't feel that long ago.

On the other hand the home console market has been a two horse race for over a decade. Nintendo are unlikely to break into the market and thrive against two solid competitors that are producing expensive hardware that many people already have invested in. (It will be interesting to see how many reinvest in their updated consoles) For me it's a smart move to go with a hybrid machine that explores the potential of taking mobile gaming to a new level but still allows the player to hook up to a TV when at home.

Although I agree here, I think the Switch needs to be at least matching the PS4 & Xbox One - if not the PS4 Pro and Xbox Scorpio - when it's docked. A substandard console with good portable features will fail badly imo.

Interesting. That makes it sound like a Nintendo branded Nvidia Shield.

That was my thoughts.  It's just a shield with a unique controller aspect.

Unless the docking station has extra processing power in it, like JD says. If it doesn't, and it just projects the tablet to your TV, then it's pretty shite imo.