Nintendo Switch

2 hours ago, black_n_white said:

Had a switch bought for me last month with super Mario 3D world and Mario cart 8. Both games really good fun, colours and gameplay are both superb.

Looking to get Zelda BOTW (for me) and Super Smash Bros Ultimate (for the kids) next, unless anyone recommends anything different?

It depends on what your tastes are. The Switch does retro and indie games pretty well. If you are more focussed on Nintendo's own games, then there are a handful worth considering, but the two you have mentioned are probably at the top of the list. Although if you really like Mario then Super Mario Odyssey is the best 3D Mario outing on the Switch.

:thup: Mario Odyssey is a joyful experience like.

I see Nintendo announced some N64 games will be available from October on a more expensive version of their online membership:

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/News/2021/September/Introducing-Nintendo-Switch-Online-Expansion-Pack-2044266.html

9 games at launch and the likes of Banjo Kazooie coming later. I may go in for that having recently completed Mario 64 on Mario All Stars and being pleasantly surprised by how well it had aged. 

I just saw that Diablo II Resurrected came out.  I played the shit out of that game over 20 years ago.  I can't play it on my laptop so I'm going to spring for the Switch.  My son is down in Maryland and he has one so we'll hook up to play some other games together.  After playing FM and OOTP (a text sim baseball) I'm ready to get back into something new (or old, lol)  

• 2 weeks later...

Metroid: Dread has started well. Coming from Super Metroid, it iis unsurprisingly a massive upgrade, but does that Nintendo thing of retaining all the elements of what made the previous game so successful, while still doing something a bit different. The movement and shooting mechanics all feel very responsive. I wasa bit concerned with the EMMI sections in the reveal trailer, as I thought they wouldn't fit into the feel of previous 2D Metroid games. They actually work surprisingly well in practice. The game plays at a fast pace in general, but those sections add both stealth and then sheer panic as you attempt to navigate an escape at speed against the AI without backing yourself into a corner. They actually remind me a lot of Alien Isolation. The third person takes away a bit of the edge, but there's still that element of watching the mini-map and desperately trying to avoid the encounter. They also bring a sense of satisfaction and relief when you are finally given the temporary power-up to be able to fight against them.

The only gripe I've had thus far is that there was a QTE in the first boss fight. It wasn't a QTE in terms of a button sequence, so much as it was utilising the melee-counter function at a particular time. I could be wrong but it felt like the game wasn't going to advance the fight without completing it. ie. After completing it, there was a cutscene. It's a minor thing but I'm not sure the game needed it. 

One area of concern I've not looked at is how the game plays handheld. I play docked and take advantage of the big screen and the pro controller. The controls are really solid with the pro controller, but I think I'd struggle a bit on the smaller joy cons. The game also looks great on a big screen. Similar to the way Donkey Kong Country evolved into Donkey Kong Country Returns, there is a lot of activity in the backdrops in Metroid: Dread. I do wonder if some of that would be harder to pick out playing on a small screen. 

Hopefully the rest of the game continues on at the pace it has started at. Everything moves quickly and the game is constantly adding new mechanics making it a lot of fun to play. Probably the best, and certainly the most polished, Metroidvania style game that I've played.

On 27/09/2021 at 13:50, Consortium of one said:

I just saw that Diablo II Resurrected came out.  I played the shit out of that game over 20 years ago.  I can't play it on my laptop so I'm going to spring for the Switch.  My son is down in Maryland and he has one so we'll hook up to play some other games together.  After playing FM and OOTP (a text sim baseball) I'm ready to get back into something new (or old, lol)  

Bought it on PS. Hate to say it, but the consoleversion sucks. Slow inventory, no lobby and the matchmaking dont work. Gave it 2days before buying the PC-version.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
11 hours ago, rickyprickles said:

I have a Switch but have hardly ever used it. 

Clueless about video games - will that new GTA remaster series be worth buying on the Switch? Loved the OG games obviously. 

I reckon it's as worth getting on Switch as the other consoles - it'll probably be similar on all of them since it's not taking full advantage of next gen hardware.

Whether I get it depends on hearing more about some of the 'modernizations'. I'm happy with the graphics and core game, but I hope the controls, checkpoints and stuff are modernized along lines of GTA5.

14 minutes ago, Cf said:

Not played the SMT series. Is it just Persona without the story?

Not really. The mainline SMT games are much better imo, none of the school nonsense, just straightforward Nietzschean quests to kill god. It’s more like edgelord pokemon. I did enjoy persona 5 but the mainline SMT games are much more my groove. 

22 hours ago, Inferior Acuña said:

I reckon it's as worth getting on Switch as the other consoles - it'll probably be similar on all of them since it's not taking full advantage of next gen hardware.

Whether I get it depends on hearing more about some of the 'modernizations'. I'm happy with the graphics and core game, but I hope the controls, checkpoints and stuff are modernized along lines of GTA5.

On the contrary, the Switch version has awful performance issues and blurry visuals by all accounts.