Still not worthy of a thread

Yorkie

Just because something is a custom somewhere doesn’t make it immune from criticism. Bull fighting is a Spanish tradition and it’s f***ing garbage, shouldn’t be afforded any kind of special treatment because it’s entrenched in their culture. That’s a completely facile argument. If you apply that argument unilaterally we can’t comment on any issues outside of our own, which is patently completely ridiculous.

Nobody said just because it's a custom it should be immune from criticism. However, if we are going to criticise something in a different culture we should perhaps look at a bit of context first. For the "blacking up" example Wullie made,  why should that be seen as racist in Spain based on something that was happening in a different country with a different language and culture years and years ago? For the Bilbao players referring to Inaki Williams as "darkie" why is that any different to nicknames based on something else in a person's physical appearance? It's only different because we have been taught that it's different, there is nothing inherently wrong with a nickname based on the colour of someone's skin, no moreso than a nickname based on somebody's height, etc.

I mean there definitely is a difference. No one was ever hung or persecuted based on their height. That comparison doesn’t work at all

To someone who is from an English speaking country it doesn't

Just because something is a custom somewhere doesn’t make it immune from criticism. Bull fighting is a Spanish tradition and it’s f***ing garbage, shouldn’t be afforded any kind of special treatment because it’s entrenched in their culture. That’s a completely facile argument. If you apply that argument unilaterally we can’t comment on any issues outside of our own, which is patently completely ridiculous.

Nobody said just because it's a custom it should be immune from criticism. However, if we are going to criticise something in a different culture we should perhaps look at a bit of context first. For the "blacking up" example Wullie made,  why should that be seen as racist in Spain based on something that was happening in a different country with a different language and culture years and years ago? For the Bilbao players referring to Inaki Williams as "darkie" why is that any different to nicknames based on something else in a person's physical appearance? It's only different because we have been taught that it's different, there is nothing inherently wrong with a nickname based on the colour of someone's skin, no moreso than a nickname based on somebody's height, etc.

The context is Spain & Portugal are two countries with a history that actively partook in the enslavement trade of African people and the colonialisation of Africa. This hasn't happened in isolation - it's based on a caricature and dehumanisation of African people that enables racism.

Even if I accept what you're saying. In some countries, it's perfectly fine for grown men to marry 13-year-old girls. If they have a period, they are technically women so there's nothing inherently wrong with that I guess? When you're in a country, you must abide by the laws and norms of that society.

You don't get drunk and leary in public in Dubai and you don't post African caricatures for public consumption in Manchester. Criticism by people is going to happen in both societies.

I was going to say, I don't think you can really excuse the Balthazar stuff just because it's a tradition. You certainly can't just write off any critique as anglocentric bias. Spain's colonial and racial history is pretty similar to the UK, and as such any tradition that involves blacking up in such a way comes across pretty badly in a post-colonial European nation that now has a quite significant black population.

I'm seriously a little confused here, a picture of his team mate as a child looks a bit like a character from a well known Spanish chocolate brand. Team mate responds and finds it funny.

Perhaps a little naive to put this on Twitter, but the reaction is crazy.

So are only white people allowed to be used for funny/joke comparisons? I really don't get the jumping all over this and don't see any racism.

The whole over reaction is incredibly cringe worthy, but totally expected nowadays.