Still not worthy of a thread

Yorkie

7 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Wrexham now have Expedia on the backs of their shirts too. I’d love to see what their sponsorship deals are like compared with some L1/L2 clubs now since they’ve also got TikTok.

Honestly, can't believe that I'm jealous Mac from Sunny isn't our owner. :lol:

Hmm, a bad read. For all I loved the team and the manager and the occasions, the behaviour of some England fans has been so deeply depressing. From the racism to the sexism, to the storming of the stadium, even to the seas of litter on Wembley Way, it's just so frustratingly tarnishing of what should be an outright celebration - even in spite of the sickening climax to the football itself - and saddening/worrying for those who've been subjected to anything inappropriate or abusive. And it makes you feel like we're so far away from having anywhere near the right amounts of collective respect and tolerance in our society.

Huge public events really expose it and make you reflect on it: where there's so many moments of badness which get exposed and documented, but also the countless micro hostilities and moments of fear and discomfort which go unreported and are simply 'experienced' by those in the situation.

I'd have been absolutely ecstatic if we'd won, but there'd be a niggle in there; knowing that I was sharing jubilation with an enormous amount of people with whom I share no identity and whom I think so poorly and shamefully of. Looking around a jubilant crowd and, admittedly probably only on reflection, wondering which ones were sexist, or totally disrespected the place and people around them in some other way, or which ones might have sent Saka a monkey emoji had he been unfortunate enough to have missed his penalty. 

That could be a deeply unfair or unnecessarily cynical way of looking at things, and I suppose speaks to the old adage of a 'minority ruining it for everyone'. I'm sure there were tens of thousands who had wonderful unforgettable experiences at England games this summer, and who represented themselves in all the ways you'd want and expect from people you share such a profound common interest. But, based on what has been reported, there's just too many that didn't and no one seems to know what is required to repair it. Or, in the case of our government, anywhere near the inclination to. 

My most eye-opening experience watching England was in 2016 (big up those also in St Etienne for the Slovakia shitfest) and it was utterly grim, like. I felt so out of place as I wasn't completely off my face, nor was I obnoxious and felt I was better than everyone in the town who wasn't English.

Think I've posted about it before, but I was stood next to some fat middle-aged Chelsea fan (he was singing Chelsea songs) in a beer-stained Weekend Offender t-shirt who swayed for 90 minutes and at one point decided to remove his shite Lonsdale trainers (you know the ones, those martial arts things) to reveal odd ankle socks. He could barely talk and what he said that I could understand were profanities with the occasional racist remark thrown in (not just towards our black players, but regularly referring to the Slovakians as gypsies).

To use a popular Twitter/internet tagline, all I kept thinking was "someone collect their da, ffs".

What happened in the final has definitely put me off going to watch England in Europe, as I'm sure these sort of morons will likely appear again. The likes of Brazil and Russia would appeal because I think it's a step too far for a lot of them. Unless something changes soon, Germany in 2024 is going to be another level of grim.

Guest HTT II

I doubt I’d take my boys to an England game like, to have to explain racism to my 9 and 7 year old boys at their age is fucking hard I’ll tell you, my boys are mixed race and I’ve had to tell them look, because you’re not white you’re gonna get abuse throughout your life and although sticks and stones may break your bones… luckily they have me fighting their corner because God help anyone who dares racially abuses my boys… my poor 7 year old who is footy daft and clued up on all footy matters asked me literally is it because they are black, aye son, sorry! Btw, my two, I try not to bring skin colour into it but as they get older they know they are neither white or black, my youngest says he’s a dark pinkish, but now they are well aware they are not white and more black and that’s not on! Fucking arsehole racist cunts who use football to demonstrate their fucking bigotry, tarnished the whole tournament for me and what should have been a celebration of our team, even if we lost. Cheers fuck faces!

Edited by HTT II

24 minutes ago, Disco said:

The Athletics most recent England pod is a decent listen on this.

Broken record but Set Piece Menu's run-through of English singing/booing/behaviour inside the grounds etc was a typically engaging listen. 

18 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Broken record but Set Piece Menu's run-through of English singing/booing/behaviour inside the grounds etc was a typically engaging listen. 

I’m already aboard albeit I think they went OTT on the pre final episode which was somewhat reigned in thereafter despite events.

At the same having an almost single background voice bar a very select few in football journalism responding to what were obviously unsavoury events doesn’t hugely sit well with me. Yes it was shite and yes it’s a good news story but there’s been more than a few perspective lost pieces.

Ah come to think of it I only heard the most recent one, where they were touching on the topic again after it had presumably been discussed in more detail in the previous episode - which I assume you are referring to. 

Not with you re your second paragraph mind...

https://www.ara.cat/esports/barca-renuncia-patrocini-motius-politics_1_4059712.amp.html?__twitter_impression=true

Barcelona have ruled out H&M as a sponsor because the Swedish clothing retail company had earlier denounced China for using forced labours and exploitation of Uighur Muslims. Barça don't want to create any conflict with China.

Well they can just get absolutely to fuck. Sorry @Village Idiot