Still not worthy of a thread

Yorkie

With all the recent managerial changes it got me thinking about the number of England players that have progressed into coaching/management and wondered if it was jobs for the boys or if it is just an age thing where this has always happened.

If you take the 2006 England World Cup squad as an example:

Gary Neville - managerial spell before move into punditry

Ashley Cole - currently with Chelsea academy as a coach and England U21

Steven Gerrard - Aston Villa manager

Rio Ferdinand - pundit

John Terry - coaching

Frank Lampard - managerial career

Wayne Rooney - Derby manager

Sol Campbell - managerial career

Jamie Carragher - pundit

Jermaine Jenas - pundit / TV

Michael Carrick - interim Man United manager

Scott Carson - Man City player

Joe Cole - pundit

Peter Crouch - TV

Owen Hargreaves - pundit

David James - coaching career / pundit

I wonder if the post career guidance around this time was an either or situation on media training or coaching and if we will ever see a transition away from the game fro those young players that are now 16 - 21 and actually make it professionally.

13 hours ago, robbo_11 said:

With all the recent managerial changes it got me thinking about the number of England players that have progressed into coaching/management and wondered if it was jobs for the boys or if it is just an age thing where this has always happened.

If you take the 2006 England World Cup squad as an example:

Gary Neville - managerial spell before move into punditry

Ashley Cole - currently with Chelsea academy as a coach and England U21

Steven Gerrard - Aston Villa manager

Rio Ferdinand - pundit

John Terry - coaching

Frank Lampard - managerial career

Wayne Rooney - Derby manager

Sol Campbell - managerial career

Jamie Carragher - pundit

Jermaine Jenas - pundit / TV

Michael Carrick - interim Man United manager

Scott Carson - Man City player

Joe Cole - pundit

Peter Crouch - TV

Owen Hargreaves - pundit

David James - coaching career / pundit

I wonder if the post career guidance around this time was an either or situation on media training or coaching and if we will ever see a transition away from the game fro those young players that are now 16 - 21 and actually make it professionally.

Possibly that players who make it to pro-levels are generally (not all) not educated or experienced in anything other than football, so by the time they retire they're generally too old to do anything that isn't football related.

Some build property empires and the like, some think they've made enough money to live forever on it and end up bankrupt a few years later.  

I'd imagine some do take further qualifications and have other careers, but you just don't hear about it as they're not in the public eye all the time.

On 17/11/2021 at 12:49, nbthree3 said:

Official 

Was at a wedding on Saturday catching up with a friend I’d not seen in years who told me he had dealings with Hoffman whilst they both worked at Northern Rock. 

Went on to tell me a few stories where Hoffman openly admitted that he hated the North East of England and the people from the North East with a passion. It was all very weird but as we know now makes even more sense with what was going on.

4 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Another ‘how’ve I not seen this before?’. Same match as the famous Ricky Villa goal. You normally see classic FA Cup goals repeated every year, this should be one.

I definitely remember that. Wonderful goal. Great final that one.
Back when the FA Cup Final was a huge deal.

49 minutes ago, gjohnson said:

How are Wrexham doing? Would like to see them progress as Reynolds and McElhatton seemed to have a genuine enthusiasm in making them relatively successful.

In playoff contention, same as last season.