Still not worthy of a thread

Yorkie

We weren't even that well liked before, tbh. How many years of brainless "the fans expect champions league every year" comments did we deal with? Or the disdain for being "Everyone's second team" or "having great away support" commentary from pundits ... as though we invented those labels for ourselves?

I'm done giving a fuck what anyone else thinks.

Edited by thomas

The idea of 'being everyone's second team' is a misnomer. 

What that basically means is, that team is fun to watch, I don't mind if they win this game I have no stake in. We were a fun watch under Keegan and then Sir Bobby, plus we were also going up against more established sides so it was fun to see the relative underdog win. Look at Ken Early's piece on Man City, they have become so dominant that now people find them boring to watch and actively root against them. 

As for the vitriol we face now, that's to be expected. We were taken over by a middle eastern state fund. Sure, some of the disdain is envy that we are supposedly on a rocket to the moon in terms of investment, but there's also a lot of anger because it's a seemingly insurmountable foe. We can outbid any club in the world right now. I'm not for a moment saying we will, but that's a kind of power that will instigate hate. I also believe there are legitimate folk that dislike our ties to PIF because of Khashoggi and what Saudi Arabia represents. I get that, it's entirely valid, and why I won't twirl around a Saudi flag or hail them as saviours. 

I will say, when Man City were taken over, I didn't give much thought to the geo-political undertones of it all. I was far more irked by their ability to jump up the table and now bid for any player they fancied, (including Shay Given). It was pure envy. I will now get a litmus test for my thoughts back then about it becoming soulless. 

My point is, we were never as loved as you think. As for now, forgive me if I don't weep at losing Rod Liddle's respect. The man has done some reprehensible things, both behind a keyboard and to those he supposedly loves. The fact Sunderland fans would clamour to clap him shows how some of that lot will cheer anyone that plays the hits for them. 

Edited by Thiago

Disappointed a committted racist like Rod ‘the one thing stopping me from being a teacher was that I could not remotely conceive of not trying to shag the kids’ Liddle doesn’t like us anymore. A real shame.

As for anyone else; totally understandable and likewise who cares?

We are the most hated club in the UK , Talksh*te are typical of the haters, any opportunity they start, on a previous occasion we were called Saudi State controlled Newcastle , the 10.am show every time we get mentioned the show is negative towards ud, only Trevor Sinclair who is described by them as Newcastle United ambassador is the only guy I know national wise who defends us. I hope if we survive this season we stuff the whole lot of them.

2 hours ago, Decky said:

Couldn't give a fuck about other clubs and their fans so its water off a ducks back to me. 

Same here. Would rather be hated than be one of those non entity clubs that nobody gives a toss about like Southampton, Burnley etc.

I think it’s class , let’s be honest 99% of football fans would love to have been taken over by PIF, they now just use the Human Rights stuff as I stick to beat us with because they know eventually we are going to catch and overtake them , anyone who says they wouldn’t be happy with our owners are only lying to themselves . I get why the mackems do it as I would be totally rattled if roles were reversed .

1 hour ago, Disco said:

Disappointed a committted racist like Rod ‘the one thing stopping me from being a teacher was that I could not remotely conceive of not trying to shag the kids’ Liddle doesn’t like us anymore. A real shame.

As for anyone else; totally understandable and likewise who cares?

I've just looked up the Spectator article. Only from 2012. How the hell is Rod still in a job after that!?

30 minutes ago, Geogaddi said:

I think it’s class , let’s be honest 99% of football fans would love to have been taken over by PIF, they now just use the Human Rights stuff as I stick to beat us with because they know eventually we are going to catch and overtake them , anyone who says they wouldn’t be happy with our owners are only lying to themselves . I get why the mackems do it as I would be totally rattled if roles were reversed .

Personally, I think we need to be on better footing with this stuff - some of us do actually give a shite about ‘human rights stuff’.  As a human, human rights strike me as important. It is actually possible to care about other human beings - some of the shite levelled at Amnesty by some of our support was nothing short of disgraceful. I’m not at all happy with who now owns our club.  Personally, I despise despotic govts and would happily see the cunts in charge in Saudi Arabia overthrown and replaced by a secular democracy.  Nothing would make me happier than football clubs not being owned by the dregs of humanity.

But that would need to be applied across the board - not just to NUFC.  I don’t see the need for us to be singled out. English association football survived for well over a century without gangster oligarch, despots and Wall Street scum.  It would comfortably survive if they were all kicked out.

Don’t get me wrong though, I’m under no illusions that the entire population of Sunderland suddenly became HR activists overnight.  Plenty of them would have grabbed this with both hands. 

edit: I don’t give a shite what others think about NUFC.  Wouldn’t waste my time thinking about it.  

Edited by MarkyMark

People need to realise that the internet, social media and the media in general are not exactly a good barometer of the thoughts, opinions and reflections of anything or anyone in the ‘real life’ world outside of the Internet. Most fans of other clubs around the country couldn’t give a fuck about any club other than their own, and most other fans I’ve encountered off line have nothing but good things to say about Geordies/NUFC fans and the club and city.

We should know, we were universally anti Ashley/Pardew/Bruce on here but that wasn’t reflected on the stands or around the city in general. I wouldn’t worry about what others think or don’t about anything related to our club. That and most people are gobshites.

I’m more worried about how the online world is making people more and more deranged while being online when it comes to politics, immigration, race, conspiracies, Covid and other stuff. I mean just look at RTG, how mental they have become labelling NUFC fans terrorists, murderers, 9/11 co-conspirators and all kinds, that’s not hate, that’s how deranged the world (in their case, NUFC and football) is making people become while glued online 24/7. 

That’s why I don’t engage with other fans on other forums, or read Twitter, or engage with footy stuff on social media. N.O is my safe haven if you like for my NUFC chat/debate fix and that’s because most on here are sensible.

Edited by HTT II

For example a good friend of mine, a Geordie sadly who is a Man Utd fan who to be fair to him does get to as many games as he can and it was through his dad I believe that he ended up supporting them, without fail every time we play will make some snide mostly funny posts about NUFC and the hate that follows is ridiculous.

In a pub it would be banter between two rival fans, a laugh and a joke, online it’s war and the bile and the outrage and the fume is absolutely the levels of deranged. It’s good to have some self deprecation as a fanbase and even as a club.

If a mackem said your team is shit, I hope you go down, I’d say we are shit, you want us to go down because you support SAFC, I’d be the same. But when they start adding that I’m a murderer, terrorist with blood money on my hands… thankfully not one normal SAFC I know or have encountered in real life would say that.

I’d honestly reboot the internet and start it over and ban social media or do something, you can see how it traps people and I’m surprised so many aren’t in a padded cell with how crazy it can make people become.

16 minutes ago, triggs said:

Its completely normal and understandable that this version of Newcastle are hated

It’s not, I don’t really hate any club or set of fans, not even based on who owns them. I can dislike a club, a player, a manager or fans from other clubs, but hate nah…