Sexual Abuse in Football

Tooj

Happy you managed to share with someone Lush Vlad. Keeping that stuff bottled up can be so damaging. Sorry you went through that.

This stuff is just so awful. Taking advantage of young kids that have been placed in their trust that way is just the worst thing.

It's a big problem in the USA youth sports setup too. Even more harrowing over there as at a young age these kids go for tournaments out of town and so have overnight stays away from home.

Glad things like this have come to light.  It's fucking sickening, TBH.  But it needs to get highlighted. 

I was abused by a so called 'family friend' when I was younger and only told the missus about 5 years ago and my Mam earlier this year.  It really is hard to put it into words when trying to explain it.  You feel guilty and ashamed of yourself and for years, I just buried it in the back of my mind.  Can't imagine what it is like for people that have suffered far worse and for those that have to come out and speak to the public to raise awareness.  It is a terrifying thought, for me.  So I have ended up just announcing it on here instead.  Solid logic :lol:

Fuck it.  I am seeing this stuff in the media all the while and I watched Spotlight earlier this year and decided I have had enough of keeping it bottled up.  Feels good to get it off my chest. 

Takes real courage to open up about something as intimate and difficult as that. Glad to hear that doing so helps you. Was watching the Victoria Derbyshire show this morning and watching those brave men talking about it all for millions to see was very moving. Fucking awful what's been going on all this time.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38093421

Glad things like this have come to light.  It's fucking sickening, TBH.  But it needs to get highlighted. 

I was abused by a so called 'family friend' when I was younger and only told the missus about 5 years ago and my Mam earlier this year.  It really is hard to put it into words when trying to explain it.  You feel guilty and ashamed of yourself and for years, I just buried it in the back of my mind.  Can't imagine what it is like for people that have suffered far worse and for those that have to come out and speak to the public to raise awareness.  It is a terrifying thought, for me.  So I have ended up just announcing it on here instead.  Solid logic :lol:

Fuck it.  I am seeing this stuff in the media all the while and I watched Spotlight earlier this year and decided I have had enough of keeping it bottled up.  Feels good to get it off my chest. 

Takes real courage to open up about something as intimate and difficult as that. Glad to hear that doing so helps you. Was watching the Victoria Derbyshire show this morning and watching those brave men talking about it all for millions to see was very moving. Fucking awful what's been going on all this time.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38093421

Just caught a bit of that on BBC News earlier. Horrific.

Do think this all coming out will help others speak/deal with their memories, think its hugely important and deserves a lot of respect.

Theres something really 'normal' about football, when these players come out it will help encourage a lot of people to talk about what they might have suppressed for a very long time.

From the highest levels of government to the church, from the entertainment industry to professional sports, it's a pretty damning fucking indictment of our society that this shit is as prevalent as it is.

I don't think anyone could imagine what you went through, but you have nothing to be guilty or ashamed about, you were a victim. I hope the person who did it to you gets what they deserve.

From the highest levels of government to the church, from the entertainment industry to professional sports, it's a pretty damning fucking indictment of our society that this shit is as prevalent as it is.

there will always be people who look to exploit positions of authority, you do everything you can to prevent it and I do think things would have improved on that front in the last 20 years but I'm not sure you can ever be sure of 100% wiping it out.

Guest alijmitchell

What a great thing to see Vlad feeling like talking about things on here and the forum being so genuinely warm. Massive props all round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bennell coached Speed. I really hope that had nothing to do with how things went.

:(

First thing I thought of. Alan Davies was the second. These "people" are monsters. :(

Yeah, I must confess, I spoke about Alan Davies to a couple of Manchester United followers at work today. Suffice to say that despite both being over 40, they'd never heard of him. Even after I informed them that he was part of their 83 Cup winning side.