Newcastle United 2-0 Aston Villa - 20/02/17 - post match from pg27

Disco

Can someone tell me how statistics on games are collected?  I saw Darlow make at least 2 saves (tip over the bar 1st half and shot in the 2nd half) but BBC only show 1 shot on target.

They must have decided that tip wasn't dropping in but onto the bar.

Can someone tell me how statistics on games are collected?  I saw Darlow make at least 2 saves (tip over the bar 1st half and shot in the 2nd half) but BBC only show 1 shot on target.

They must have decided that tip wasn't dropping in but onto the bar.

Aye, whoscored.com have them only having one shot on target too.

Pleased with the result and a second half performance which was partly due to them falling away after Lansbury's delightful OG...justice is a quality rarely seen in football and even scarcer at SJP, but this was a great case of the biter bit...and how he deserved it.

First half was dire stuff and we really lack quality up front and in m/f with the exception of Shelvey...we looked like struggling until Gouffran's scrambled effort from what was, I believe, our first corner. Gayle's withdrawal with what appears to be a hamstring recurrence is very worrying in view of the forthcoming fixtures. I did wonder whether they had rushed him back into the side - I remember Beardsley having a bad hamstring and it kept him out for over 6 weeks but once he came back the injury never recurred so to lose Gayle with this would be a concern...we will miss him up front for sure over the next month.

We needed this win and now comes the hard stuff....

The absolute cheek of Villa fans singing about empty seats when they didn't take their whole allocation. Thought we were poor first half but popped it around really well second half.

Fair play to Villa signing anyone who is flavour of the month in the Championship and they can barely build an attack

2,000 empty seats tonight. 1,500 of those were in the Villa end  [emoji38]

That's a load of s****.

The away end holds 3,200. They had 1,700 there.

Considering Villa are the self-proclaimed best support in the Championship, I thought they were absolutely dreadful. 1,700 and the irony that every other song was 'your support is fucking shit', especially when you factor in that they've had to close parts of their own ground because they cant fill the seats.

Their squad is exactly what I thought it was, a bang average Championship side that will probably struggle again next season without good investment. They've signed the 'best players' from very average teams in this league without any thought about whether or not those players fit into the system they want to play or work together. It was like watching 11 individuals that have never played together before.

Maybe I've only ever caught him on bad days, but is Hogan good at all like? Considering he was linked with a PL move, every time I see him he's been very average at best. Absolutely glorious that Lansbury bottled the entire match, was one of the worst on the field and scored the own goal to settle any nerves. Karma.

The fact that they still bang on about sending us down despite being on the verge of a huge relegation battle to League One goes to show how small-minded and obsessed they are.

Our first half performance was poor, but as soon as we scored we never looked remotely threatened at all. A very comfortable win in the end and sets us up well.

The display from Gallowgate flags was brilliant although the atmosphere was pretty flat for most parts, thought the atmosphere against Derby was better.

Ritchie: "To be fair...our performances haven't been good for the past few weeks". Nice to see it's not unnoticed by the team. I reckon it's just a patch.

Spot on, we need to improve ALOT.

But we got those shitty points atleast...

But Rafa need to get this team together for sure..

Hope that's the last we come across each other for a while. The supposed rivalry and banter is just weird with Villa.

It sounds like the infamous banners were the work of one bloke who is a bit of a "I'm all about the humour" David Brent type. So it might be best just to move on and not give him the attention.

Good to see Rafa get a win against them at the third attempt. Who knows how things might have worked out if we'd got three points in that second game last season. It would have put the mackems under more pressure, if nothing else.

Good result last night. I thought Gallowgate Flags and the lads in the corner did a fantastic job creating a good atmosphere for the players but that sort of thing has to work both ways. We were absolutely turgid first half and not mustering a shot or looking even remotely interested really sapped the life out of the place. If it wasn't for Yedlin forcing the issue to win the corner at the end of that half it could have been a very long night.

Lascelles aside from his mistake completely dominated every ball in the air. Colback had the best game I've seen him play all season and Mitrovic worked his arse off and disrupted their back line. I don't get people who seem to maintain agendas against certain players because they've been shit.

Villa have absolutely nothing about them. Their fans on social media are cretinous and given the "banter" they seem to enjoy it sure seems to have ruffled them that we were loving Lansbury's misfortune. I've no idea how Birmingham fans put up with them because my experience of them seems the complete opposite.

Good win but we need to give more over the next couple of weeks if we want to maintain this promotion push.

Bruce looked seriously hacked off with the injury to Hogan, doe she have no other strikers available?

He sold Gestede and McCormack in January. Jordan Ayew too, but at least he got left-back Neil Taylor from that :lol:

D'oh!

:lol:

On the way to the match last night I was listening to the radio and they were saying how the owner has said that the parachute payments from next season won't even account for 50% of the wage bill. The football league have strict rules on FFP as well, so either they get a point deduction, or they sell most of heir squad, including players they bought in January.

A lot of Villa fans are on about how this season is a season of stability and they go for promotion next season, but if they arn't allowed to buy the players to get them back up then it's likely that they will be stuck down there for years.

Guest neesy111

On the way to the match last night I was listening to the radio and they were saying how the owner has said that the parachute payments from next season won't even account for 50% of the wage bill. The football league have strict rules on FFP as well, so either they get a point deduction, or they sell most of heir squad, including players they bought in January.

A lot of Villa fans are on about how this season is a season of stability and they go for promotion next season, but if they arn't allowed to buy the players to get them back up then it's likely that they will be stuck down there for years.

The football league will do fuck all, nothing has happened to QPR.

Atsu needs a full game. He looks very bright when he plays.

Yeah when coming on as a sub, I don't think he's trusted enough to start which says its own story when the comparison is gouffran.

Much as we love him - in some ways Rafa is Allardyce/Pardew.

He likes to play the percentages, he likes hard working players he can rely on and he struggles to trust purely flair players.

If his name was Ralph Bennett....

<\controversial>

QPR sold most of their players.

Guest neesy111

QPR sold most of their players.

That wasn't to do with the FL though.