Persona 5 - PS4

Wullie

Taking my time with royal. Just beat the 5th palace. Fuck that boss. What the fuck were they thinking? That was the complete opposite of fun. The 11/10 is downgraded to a 9/10 for that alone.

• 2 weeks later...

It's not that I didn't like it, it just didn't feel like it had a lot going on other than capitalising on elemental weaknesses; maybe I'm being unfair and didn't see enough but even a £3 cheapie like Child of Light has ways of brightening turn based up with a Grandia themed interrupt system.  I don't mind a basic system at all (see also: I Am Setsuna, for example) but I'm not paying £60 for one because it's got a cool wrapper [emoji38]

I'll definitely get it when it's cheap, but I'll confidently predict that the social and timekeeping side of it will stop me from getting very far through [emoji38]

I got it when it was cheap.  I'm skipping everything I can skip, I've been playing 40 minutes and nothing has happened at all [emoji38]  I maintain that the exact same things which people objected to en masse and very vociferously in Final Fantasy XIII are all present here, but mysteriously overlooked [emoji38] (just to be clear, I personally have no objections whatsoever to these games being on rails)

For the sake of the thread I'll leave it at this, but I still don't for the life of me understand why this appears to have been adopted without question by the world at large but any number of extremely similar games by Compile Heart or Idea Factory or Gust Co., who like Atlus have been making them for years are not [emoji38]  I guess it must be story related since that's the only bit that I never bother with in any of them :)

:yao: that's quite enough of that, what an absolute fucking chore [emoji38] deleted after running through the training dungeon

I completely respect other folks' views, of course, and while it's great that folk can still enjoy a classic jrpg in this day and age, the elevation to the pantheon of the greats for this particular jrpg will forever be a mystery to me [emoji38] it must be a hell of a compelling tale

I'm nearly finished this (I think, I hope) and I wholeheartedly agree with your take. I've largely enjoyed it (though it has now dramatically overstayed its welcome) but I don't understand why it is so well thought of compared to a raft of other JRPGs. I don't think any game that wastes the player's time as much as Persona 5 does should be getting 10/10 reviews.

I love JRPGs and I dearly wanted to love it :lol:  I ultimately played it as far as the end of the first chapter proper, stealing the treasure from the first boss.  Boss fight was a dreadful gimmicky thing and then when it sent me back to the classroom with no real idea what to do next I just never went back to it. 

Respect to those of you who love this, I'm delighted that you can play and enjoy a pure oldschool turn based JRPG.  There are plenty more :)

To be fair to it, the story clearly dealt with more adult themes than other JRPGs and was perhaps more compelling for people as a result (I would, of course, rather have a young boy on a quest to slay the dragon that killed his mam with a more interesting battle system [emoji38]).

• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Persona 4 is finally out on modern consoles, anyone else playing?  From the little I've played so far it's very similar to 5 (transferred to a new school, answered history questions, met a weird Totoro sort of creature in a dreamlike plane of existence), - if you liked that game you'll probably like this too.

The procedurally generated dungeons of P4 look like such a turn off. 

I thought the palaces and their design was one of the best bits of P5. Mementos in contrast was bland af. 

On 21/01/2023 at 15:03, Cf said:

The procedurally generated dungeons of P4 look like such a turn off. 

I thought the palaces and their design was one of the best bits of P5. Mementos in contrast was bland af. 

I'd avoid P3 then because its not multiple well designed dungeons (though there is a monthly mini dungeon for lack of better a word and boss battle) and the only real dungeon is Tartarus which is the mementos prototype as the only real dungeon. Honestly playing backwards through the games is less than ideal as you notice immediately the lack features which later games added