Persona 5 - PS4

Wullie

Only reason I'm not gonna flat out say you should buy it C because outside of everything Mike says there's lots of dialogue. No more than any other RPG but I know how you feel about that stuff so I can't flat out recommend it to you.

If that doesn't bother you then it's flat out amazing game, the average review of 94 it has is very accurate. The only thing I'd add to what Mike says is the tone of the story is very dark (big plus point for me) but I won't go any further on that.

Guest Open_C

What really puts me off is I'm nearly sure I've never played an Atlus game i really liked. They always get close but fuck it up somehow for me.

I love Japanese and i love turn based and as long as you can skip the cuts and the dialogue then it can be as heavy as it likes [emoji38] will keep an eye on it, have only ever played the shit Persona fighting games

I think the mainline Shin Megami Tensei games would be better suited for Open C than the Persona games. SMT Nocturne is on PS2 and there's two mainline games on 3DS (IV and IV: Apocalypse). Pretty sure you would really like them actually. :lol:

I love Atlus though. Forgot about the SMT: Digital Devil Saga games for PS2 too. Minimal storytelling, not much dialogue, amazing battle system and they are very challenging.

What really puts me off is I'm nearly sure I've never played an Atlus game i really liked. They always get close but fuck it up somehow for me.

I love Japanese and i love turn based and as long as you can skip the cuts and the dialogue then it can be as heavy as it likes [emoji38] will keep an eye on it, have only ever played the shit Persona fighting games

The dialogue comes in fits. It's never overwhelming. I've yet to be like "Oh my god shut the fuck up." Even in the neverending intro, it was paced well.

:lol: I've thought to myself "C would love this. :lol:" at least twice that I can recall while playing it.

Guest Open_C

Imagine you have just switched it on for the first time in two years. Is there something which will point you in the direction of the next mandatory action to advance the story?

Imagine you have just switched it on for the first time in two years. Is there something which will point you in the direction of the next mandatory action to advance the story?

:lol: The rails only go one way. Every aspect of the game, even the side stuff is (so far) in service of the story.

:lol: I fucking hated FFXIII, so I dunno what to say. They're running the old silent protagonist with a hidden power play (you occasionally add to the conversation with selected dialogue.) So far it feels legit, man. Nowadays JRPG's are sleeping pills for me and I didn't dare doze off when I was playing this one.

I'd be happy if I had some more freedom to explore the city, but I've come to understand that if I go into the dungeons without a plan I'm gonna end up wasting time. I think the game will open up a bit more from here. Honestly fucking excited to see what it has in store.

After an hour or two, I can confidently say this is the best JRPG in about a decade.  Last one I enjoyed this much must have been Lost Odyssey.

:lol:  I've gone into someone's dream and met a talking cat.  It's like playing a Murakami novel.

Would have convinced me too if mike hadn't made a ridiculous post in the last couple of weeks saying "i can't believe you didn't like Nioh, it's great" before the obvious truth of the matter dawned on him [emoji38]

:lol:  If anything, Mike was selling this game short.  It's fantastic.  You like JRPGs, therefore you'll love this.

Can you just skip the dialogue and still find your way to the next story battle?

Yeah, there's a fast-forward button that appears onscreen during all the dialogue.  Think you can skip cutscenes too.  Not tried either, obviously, but looks like the options are there.

After an hour or two, I can confidently say this is the best JRPG in about a decade.  Last one I enjoyed this much must have been Lost Odyssey.

:lol:  I've gone into someone's dream and met a talking cat.  It's like playing a Murakami novel.

:lol: I didn't want to say Lost Odyssey because once you do you can't take it back.

The game dialogue and story is what makes the game great C, if you skipped all that then I wouldn't bother with the game as it's about as on the rails you can get, it guides you through everything even outside of the palaces, I'm 50 hours in and I still don't feel like I have too much choice tbh :lol:

Incredible game though, love it!

Guest Open_C

that's pretty much what I'm thinking clay :thup:  not even particularly bothered about exploration though, in truth; it's all about the battle system, the gear and stats, and the levelling up for me :)