Pre-Season 2018/19: Newcastle United 0 - 1 FC Augsburg (FT)

ponsaelius

Same old problems we saw for the last 12 months. Midfielders going AWOL and strikers who make Andreas Andersson look lethal.

I know Rafa loves the 4-2-3-1 but for a formation with two holding midfielders it offers hardly any cover in front of the back 4. I hate the f***ing system, it's awful. Obviously it'll be better with better players but i'm never going to really like it.

Agreed, I f***ing hate 4-2-3-1. It's too rigid and predictable, for us anyway.

I think it just suffocates attacking play at times, and for a fairly rigid defensive formation it's awful in CM at defending, well when we use it.

I always think it's a formation for managers who never really want their team to cut loose.

I think it will only look properly effective when you have some genuine pace up front.

That showed last season, we looked so much better with far superior shape with Gayle up front than Mitro or Murphy.

Yeah, also that formation was probably at it's ruthless best in the Liverpool side with Torres up front. He used to rip us apart whenever we played them.

It's a pre-season away trip to Germany, I wouldn't look into it too much like. We still need a few more players in, obviously.

It's August in 2 days and you'll find people who are 'happy' with our transfer business so far. :lol:

Same old problems we saw for the last 12 months. Midfielders going AWOL and strikers who make Andreas Andersson look lethal.

I know Rafa loves the 4-2-3-1 but for a formation with two holding midfielders it offers hardly any cover in front of the back 4. I hate the f***ing system, it's awful. Obviously it'll be better with better players but i'm never going to really like it.

I think it just suffocates attacking play at times, and for a fairly rigid defensive formation it's awful in CM at defending, well when we use it.

I always think it's a formation for managers who never really want their team to cut loose.

I think it will only look properly effective when you have some genuine pace up front.

That showed last season, we looked so much better with far superior shape with Gayle up front than Mitro or Murphy.

Yeah, also that formation was probably at it's ruthless best in the Liverpool side with Torres up front. He used to rip us apart whenever we played them.

He scored once against us for Liverpool

He scored once against us for Liverpool

Cracking goal though.

Bit dissapointed we're giving Colback starts this late in pre season. In all honesty. Was hoping we'd go with our strongest Lineup and test ourselves. Instead we went with Colback and Diame, the worst two options for that position.

Losing in preseason with Rafa at the helm gives me comfort. He'll have already begun his analysis and correction and etc. :thup: keep getting match fitness, identifying weaknesses and review good cohesion, and hopefully keep players healthy and injury free.

Bit dissapointed we're giving Colback starts this late in pre season. In all honesty. Was hoping we'd go with our strongest Lineup and test ourselves. Instead we went with Colback and Diame, the worst two options for that position.

Attempting to showcase him tbh.

Attempting to showcase him tbh.

tbh if we want to sell him, we would be better off not letting anyone see him play.

If Colback is going to be here then he needs to be fit if the need arises.

Hopefully it won't come to that but it's no different than any of the other dross getting minutes.

It's not about testing yourself, no one gives a shit about pre season other than to get fit and prepare for the new season. Or as Dave said people are much more likely to buy a player if he's had a pre season tbh.

I really wouldn't worry about it. What I would worry about is the fact we are probably 3 or 4 players short, but we all knew that anyway and you can be sure as shit Rafa knows it.

Guest neesy111

It's a pre-season away trip to Germany, I wouldn't look into it too much like. We still need a few more players in, obviously.

Unless you gan to it there's absolutely no point in preseason. Couldn't give a shit.

This basically, all about getting players up to speed fitness wise and new bodies integrated with the squad.  Stuff about tactics etc is done in training.

The game was played at 80% max; all about getting minutes into legs and formations. It was worrying how easy we were exposed down our right and we all know that we really do need a goal threat up front. Lots of triangles played and trying things that wouldn't happen in a competitive game. Rafa knows where we need strengthening let's hope he gets players in. We need goals; we can't be relying on Gayle.

I think we played alright at times, we have played some good stuff this pre- season but we were totally exposed with Colback and Diame starting in midfield today

Luckily that wont be the starting midfield against Spurs but we really do need a tough tackling midfielder next to Shelvey.

A left back is needed too but we need to get rid of Lazaar first with Haidara looking like hes nearly on his way out

I missed all the second half, saw most of the first, so my comments are based solely on that.  Colback really hurts us in more than one way, for a player that's supposed to be defensive, he hardly protected his back four at all, Diame alongside him is a terrible idea. That middle two really stopped us getting any kind of a foothold on the game that I saw. Dummett was downright rank in his strength area, defending ! Mitro, Murphy and De Jong had their moments but not overly effective, neither was Ritchie who will need more game time before the season starts.

At the end of the day it was a friendly in about 100 degree weather with a far from first choice starting 11, if anyone is worried solely on this performance, they are off their heads. One thing that it did highlight for me is the importance Shelvey and the rest of the first choice players play in our season, we may have a lot of players but we don't have a lot of quality depth.

I hope we don't see the likes of Colback starting again with two games left in the pre-season, start a proper team and prepare them for Tottenham.

The first 11 just about started against Bradford, it was never going to be the same team today. Next game we will see it I imagine.

Think there's been a bit of over analysis, like. We weren't even going 100% by a preseason game's standards (looked very hot in the first half), tbh, and we pretty much played our second XI for most of the game. Obvs, we still need some key players for the first squad.

Our defending for those 2 goals was beyond crap, though. Diame and Colback for the first, Shelvey and, to a lesser extent, Hayden & Atsu rubbish for the second. Hayden was out of position and Atsu should've tried to anticipate the danger a little better.