Pre-Season 2018/19: Newcastle United 0 - 1 FC Augsburg (FT)

ponsaelius

Guest ElCid

I know it's only a friendly but this team is going to really struggle next year so many poor players in that squad

Good runout, tbh. Hot conditions, top division team, high pressers, they've switched shape and styles a couple of times, as have we. So glad we've brought another CM in, like, Colback and Diame were so tragic defensively. Mind, Hayden and Shelvey didn't do much better for the second.

If we are going to be playing a three with Hayden and Merino with Shelvey in front, then we really need to sign another CM. as soon as Colback or Diame come into that team, we will struggle to pick up points, they are both that bad.

Same old problems we saw for the last 12 months. Midfielders going AWOL and strikers who make Andreas Andersson look lethal.

I know Rafa loves the 4-2-3-1 but for a formation with two holding midfielders it offers hardly any cover in front of the back 4. I hate the fucking system, it's awful. Obviously it'll be better with better players but i'm never going to really like it.

Same old problems we saw for the last 12 months. Midfielders going AWOL and strikers who make Andreas Andersson look lethal.

I know Rafa loves the 4-2-3-1 but for a formation with two holding midfielders it offers hardly any cover in front of the back 4. I hate the fucking system, it's awful. Obviously it'll be better with better players but i'm never going to really like it.

It'll look a lot better with midfielders who can actually run.

I know Rafa loves the 4-2-3-1 but for a formation with two holding midfielders it offers hardly any cover in front of the back 4. I hate the f***ing system, it's awful. Obviously it'll be better with better players but i'm never going to really like it.

Agreed, I fucking hate 4-2-3-1. It's too rigid and predictable, for us anyway.

It'll look a lot better with midfielders who can actually run.

Aye but i wish it was one proper DM and the two in front roaming to create. I have an irrationall hatred of 4-2-3-1, i'm just spouting off.

Guest palnese

I know Rafa loves the 4-2-3-1 but for a formation with two holding midfielders it offers hardly any cover in front of the back 4. I hate the f***ing system, it's awful. Obviously it'll be better with better players but i'm never going to really like it.

That's all on the manager, mind.

I think it just suffocates attacking play at times, and for a fairly rigid defensive formation it's awful in CM at defending, well when we use it.

I always think it's a formation for managers who never really want their team to cut loose.

I think it just suffocates attacking play at times, and for a fairly rigid defensive formation it's awful in CM at defending, well when we use it.

I always think it's a formation for managers who never really want their team to cut loose.

I think it will only look properly effective when you have some genuine pace up front.

Agreed, I f***ing hate 4-2-3-1. It's too rigid and predictable, for us anyway.

I think it will only look properly effective when you have some genuine pace up front.

That showed last season, we looked so much better with far superior shape with Gayle up front than Mitro or Murphy.

Aye and creative number 10. I know with Rafa it's about controlling possession and hence the game, which you do with better players to be fair.

It's not the formation so much as the way we play it, with the wide attackers fairly fixed and having to get through plenty of defensive work, while of the central midfielders only Hayden is capable of carrying the ball forward - and even then, it's a bit hit and miss as to whether he does that or simply sits deep splaying passes. We're not very good at keeping the ball, moving off the ball, or bringing the number 10 into play.

Agreed, I f***ing hate 4-2-3-1. It's too rigid and predictable, for us anyway.

That's all on the manager, mind.

That's rafa though. His team's always frustrate the hell out of fans but he usually creates effective and successful teams given time. Last bit is pivotal in any job.