Florian Lejeune (now playing for Rayo Vallecano)

sempuki

Guest Bordertoon

I may be going against the tide here, and it's certainly not a good tackle but don't think it was that malicious, think it was more he's s*** at tackling and went in way too heavy. Still very possibly a red but didn't look that terrible intent to me, he got the ball as well.

+1 ... Watching live (and then on replay) I thought "definite yellow", but didn't expect a red tbh. Now that others have made the case on here for a sending off, I can see that it has some legs ... just not as many as a centipede.

Straight to work after the match so no beer before or after, totally sober view. At the time I thought a yellow (level 7 view). Having got home and watched it it's a red, it's from behind and very dangerous. Not so sure on intent or malice (and when a tackle is dangerous it doesn't matter!) but from my own experience of playing and I'd guess anyone who's played even park kickabouts, you know how dangerous tackling like that is, it's why the tackle from behind is banned and he still went ahead and done it. Had Deeny, Vokes or Glenn Murray done that it's a straight red, s***, had Mitrovic done it talksport would have been pushing for a custodial sentence

So much for the level of refeering being better at this level. I thought Marriner was very poor today.

I'm coming round to the send off idea - that photo is horrendous. On Neesy's novel scale, I'd say I'm currently dark orange, but by this time tomorrow no doubt I'll be rounding up the posse  ;)

That should be a red.  The reason why it is not a red is because it is EPL where these kinda tackles are "allowed".  We did have players making this a lot in the past and now we are the one suffered.  Simply as that.  In any other leagues this is a sure red.

It's a two-footed scissor tackle through his standing leg, ending in injury. Getting the ball is only relevant in that it suggests intent not to do harm. I don't think Kane meant to hurt him, it's just a bad tackle. Having said that, getting the ball doesn't make bad tackles OK; how many serious injuries have we seen where someone's won the ball with excessive force and followed through.

Is it a red? How refs apply the rules tends to depend on which players and which teams are involved. It makes fans of the top clubs uncomfortable to talk about it, but most other fans seem to agree it goes on.

If you're England's golden boy Harry Kane making the challenge on some randomer like Lejeune, a yellow is probably enough and you'll give him the "benefit of the doubt". Gerrard used to get away with all sorts - there are infinite examples of others. If you're a Shelvey or a Mitrovic (picking our players cos it's easier) with a reputation and you're making that challenge on England's Harry Kane, then obviously you're going to walk. It gets more complicated when you add clubs into the equation. If you have a reputation like Nigel De Jong then a two-footed studs up double leg breaker could get you a yellow or red if the ref's in the mood, but if you're playing for Man City, you might even get off without a free kick.

Considering the above, we have to accept that yellow is a 'normal' decision here, but you will see reds in other games for similar challenges where circumstances are different. I'm just telling it like it is.

For what it's worth, I think that challenge should be a yellow regardless of the player or club. I don't think he meant it and although it's excessive force and clumsy, I've seen far worse. Hope Lejeune is OK - he was having a very solid debut and they hadn't really had a sniff up to that point.

It's a tackle Rooney used to make and get away with when he was an England regular, think we've seen the same thing here.

Rooney kicked Coloccini in the ribs once and nothing was made of it at all. Golden boys do what they want.

Under the current laws of the game it was a yellow card. Anything else would have been both surprising and excessive.

If Lejeune hadn't been injured off the back of it, it would have been forgotten already. Like the Lascelles tackle on Alli.

Ritchie on Alli was the worst of the lot. Thought that was pathetic. Nowhere near the ball, just put one on Alli.

Enjoyed it personally. He was never going to catch him/retrieve the ball and was obviously trying to take him down before he released the ball. Didn't manage it, but 50% success rate.

Under the current laws of the game it was a yellow card. Anything else would have been both surprising and excessive.

If Lejeune hadn't been injured off the back of it, it would have been forgotten already. Like the Lascelles tackle on Alli.

Afraid not.

Only had the presentation from our head of refereeing (IFA) last week, a scissor challenge on the standing leg is 100% a red card now, ball or no ball.

Research has shown that this kind of tackle causes the most injuries in football, or so they say, and its outlawed now (well supposed to be)

I knew there would be this comparison, but thought it would be from Spurs fans trying to justify it. 

Lascelles was side on, going for a loose ball, where neither player was in possession.  He clearly wins the ball with the tackling leg and the other leg then follows through.  Not really a scissor motion, as such.  But pretty sure the ref could have taken a stricter view, judging by what players get booked for these days. 

Kane has overrun the ball, Lejeune is about to get possession, when Kane comes and scissors him from behind.  Both legs pin his foot, hence it twisting and fucking his ankle up.  I really don't see how they are the same? 

Afraid not.

Only had the presentation from our head of refereeing (IFA) last week, a scissor challenge on the standing leg is 100% a red card now, ball or no ball.

Research has shown that this kind of tackle causes the most injuries in football, or so they say, and its outlawed now (well supposed to be)

Wasn't aware of the rule change, I stand corrected.

I knew there would be this comparison, but thought it would be from Spurs fans trying to justify it. 

Lascelles was side on, going for a loose ball, where neither player was in possession.  He clearly wins the ball with the tackling leg and the other leg then follows through.  Not really a scissor motion, as such.  But pretty sure the ref could have taken a stricter view, judging by what players get booked for these days. 

Kane has overrun the ball, Lejeune is about to get possession, when Kane comes and scissors him from behind.  Both legs pin his foot, hence it twisting and f***ing his ankle up.  I really don't see how they are the same? 

Didn't mean to compare the two challenges directly in terms of how bad they are, just that both weren't great challenges for follow-throughs - and as said, if Lejeune hadn't been injured do feel like very little would have been discussed in regards to Kane's.

It's a two-footed scissor tackle through his standing leg, ending in injury. Getting the ball is only relevant in that it suggests intent not to do harm. I don't think Kane meant to hurt him, it's just a bad tackle. Having said that, getting the ball doesn't make bad tackles OK; how many serious injuries have we seen where someone's won the ball with excessive force and followed through.

Is it a red? How refs apply the rules tends to depend on which players and which teams are involved. It makes fans of the top clubs uncomfortable to talk about it, but most other fans seem to agree it goes on.

If you're England's golden boy Harry Kane making the challenge on some randomer like Lejeune, a yellow is probably enough and you'll give him the "benefit of the doubt". Gerrard used to get away with all sorts - there are infinite examples of others. If you're a Shelvey or a Mitrovic (picking our players cos it's easier) with a reputation and you're making that challenge on England's Harry Kane, then obviously you're going to walk. It gets more complicated when you add clubs into the equation. If you have a reputation like Nigel De Jong then a two-footed studs up double leg breaker could get you a yellow or red if the ref's in the mood, but if you're playing for Man City, you might even get off without a free kick.

Considering the above, we have to accept that yellow is a 'normal' decision here, but you will see reds in other games for similar challenges where circumstances are different. I'm just telling it like it is.

For what it's worth, I think that challenge should be a yellow regardless of the player or club. I don't think he meant it and although it's excessive force and clumsy, I've seen far worse. Hope Lejeune is OK - he was having a very solid debut and they hadn't really had a sniff up to that point.

I absolutely detest these tackles. Intentional or not, they can be leg breakers. I think there should be retrospective reds issued after the game when they do damage like yesterday, I don't give a toss if they meant it or not.