Florian Lejeune (now playing for Rayo Vallecano)

sempuki

Year left, couple of big injuries and hasn't had a good game in a B&W shirt for years. I can see why he's moved on. It's probably more down to him wanting to go than anything else. He's found somewhere more suited to him after the injuries and doesn't have to put up with Bruce.

Good luck to him.

As good as he was for us, and I don't doubt he could still play a role for us now based on his past performances for us, the fact he's joining Alaves permanently as his next club speaks more to his true calibre and how poor we are defensively that he looked that good in B&W.

Agree like, if he was still in the back line "John Shelf" wouldn't be sitting four yards in front of it doing the same/worse distribution job as he could.

He got absolutely hacked down by England’s Harry Kane in one of his first games with us and missed months. It’s fair to say he never had a great run in the side, but when he did play a few he looked the part. Not the fastest but his reading of the game made up for it.

He looked dodgy after the major injury but that is hardly surprising given the layoff. He clearly had class and good vision. Certainly no less of a liability than Clark or to be fair any of our backline that all have their brainfart moments. Literally zero need to get rid of him other than the fact he isn't a Brucee grafting acolyte. 

I can’t quite get my head around how this obvious mistake has happened. 

So much for him going out on loan to gain match fitness then. Not that we expected anything else. 

He and Lascelles were sensational together when we finished 10th. Remember that awesome assist to Ayoze when we beat Chelsea at home. 

One of my favorites - classy ball playing CB, who had it all. I hope he enjoys living in Spain away from this shit show. 

Guest neesy111

Bruce threw him under the bus, he wasn't mentally ready for those games in short succession after a very long layoff.  Still thought he was the best defender at the club.  Sums up this club.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Newcastle United's upcoming game against Rayo Vallecano may just be a mid-season friendly on paper - but try telling that to Florian Lejeune. This promises to be an emotional occasion for Lejeune as the Frenchman returns to St James' Park for the first time since leaving the club once and for all last year.

"It is a friendly game but one which is brimming in emotion, full of pleasure and a host of other feelings for me as it will be great to catch up with some former team-mates with whom we spent some great times together," Lejeune told ChronicleLive. "We shared a lot of laughs and lots of memories together.

"Also, catching up with the physio and other members of staff at the club. For me, it is really important to have this chance to see them again and to spend a little time with them.

"Unfortunately, I never really had a proper chance to say goodbye to them there so I sincerely hope I’ll get a chance to do it this week. I also really want to thank everyone for all of the great support I received for so many years, whether this was after each game or even when I was suffering from injury. I received a lot of messages and I really do want to be able to thank everyone."

You suspect the competitor in Lejeune will also want to impress. Lejeune even quipped that it was a 'shame' he did not get to play under Eddie Howe because they 'would have struck a chord'.

"When I decided to leave on a loan to Spain, initially, it was a choice I made because it was something I really needed to do," he said. "I had just gone through a second major injury and I hadn’t particularly appreciated the treatment I received during the Christmas period, playing some games when I shouldn’t have. There were a host of things which I didn’t like but, in the end, that is how it is.

"In a sense, it was tough to leave the club permanently a year later because I felt really great at this club and I loved the city, as did my family. We had our circle of friends there and this made it tough, for sure.

"It was all the more difficult for me personally because I knew that I was more than capable of being a big part of the team but, unfortunately, with the manager [Steve Bruce] in place at the time, it was clear that I was not in his plans and we didn’t share the same vision of the game. That is how things are - each manager has his own idea of how to play and some players may see things differently - so I respected the situation entirely.

"But I am someone who needs to play. I can’t simply go for months on end without playing. It is something I need to feel happy. I need to be out there on the pitch and to feel important."

It is three years ago now since Lejeune made his comeback for Newcastle against Palace - of all teams - and looked like he had never been away. However, an injury crisis at the back then resulted in the centre-back starting all of the Magpies' festive fixtures, including two games in 48 hours against Manchester United and Everton.

"It was tough," he said. "Very, very tough. But I didn’t give up, I worked hard and had the support of all my team-mates and particularly my wife, Laury, who was there every day to help me.

"Coming back from my second injury, having to play so many games in such a short period of time, for me, it was something that was incredibly hard. After Boxing Day, the games come thick and fast.

"Coming back just seven months after a cruciate ligament and having to play four games in just 11 days, I honestly think there are very few players who could really manage that. But I did my best and unfortunately in the final match [against Leicester], I didn’t play well at all and we lost the game because of me.

"The most important thing was that I didn’t get injured, but I feel that I wasn’t given the very best chance and everyone knew that, the manager knew that and it is a shame, really, but that is how it is. That’s football."

Yet Lejeune has not let those difficult moments overshadow his time at the club - far from it.

"It was an absolutely unforgettable experience both regarding my career as a footballer and as a person," he added. "I learnt a lot and met some wonderful people during my time there. I always strove to give the very best of myself for the good of the squad and to be as effective as I could.

"It’s no secret that Newcastle are one of the greatest clubs in England and the fans were always second to none. I could never begin to thank them enough for the wonderful support they always gave to us and which they gave me personally. I have nothing but positives to say and only have wonderful memories about both the club and the city."

A good centre half for us who was especially brilliant in that second half of 2018-19 in Benitez' 3-4-3 post-Almiron. Ruined by that rushing back from injury. Remember that Leicester game, absolutely awful experience all-round that was.

Bruce seemed to prefer the plodder style centre halves; seemed to ostracise Schar and certainly did so with Lejeune. He'd be a great squad option now given our lack of good on-the-ball right footed centre halves beyond Schar. Cheers Bruce, you fucking globule.