UK Politics: The Johnson Decades

At last some logic:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-49655719

This is good news and eminently sensible, but it is a bit depressing to think back on all the furore over immigration which led up to the Brexit vote, to think on the 'hostile environment' and the illicit deportation of thousands of students not to mention Windrush and so on, and to see the government now belatedly taking steps once the political landscape has been coloured. It's right to make the visa system easier for top-tier academics, and right to allow foreign students, who contribute so much financially, to build their careers in the place that they've studied, but these steps should have already been in place and now in the short term at least they won't make up for the loss of students and faculty and collaborative opportunities at the hands of Brexit.

In general Britain needs immigration, and migrants from the EU tend to be well educated, adaptable, and of working age, beyond their cultural value adding a net contribution to the economy. I worry that with freedom of movement out of the way the immigration system will become two-tiered, with easy access for the rich and experienced and very highly educated, with a sort of chattel class whose movement is necessary but heavily regulated. Of course countries will also leverage immigration for the trade deals we'll be desperate to implement.

Scottish parliament have ruled that the suspension of Westminster is 'unlawful' :lol:

Apparently this means parliament technically isn't suspended any more.

It’s an incredible ruling. Some of the highest judges in the UK are basically saying that Johnson lied to, and misled, the Queen.

If the Supreme Court allow this to stand (which they won’t), it makes all the precious constitutional crises look like child’s play.

Surely the Queen has a personal responsibility to not get scammed? If the decision is illegal, she is an accessory.

There is no mechanism in our country to remove him from power if the Supreme Court uphold this ruling.

The only way out would be resignation, VoNC or if enough Tories found their balls and actually stood up to him pissing all over our constitution. 

Am I right in thinking they've overturned it on  separation of powers argument, that he's trying to prevent parliamentary scrutiny of the executive?

Really could go either way in the Supreme Court, but if I was betting I'd say given how reluctant judges are to interfere in political affairs, they'll probably overturn it.

At last some logic:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-49655719

This is good news and eminently sensible, but it is a bit depressing to think back on all the furore over immigration which led up to the Brexit vote, to think on the 'hostile environment' and the illicit deportation of thousands of students not to mention Windrush and so on, and to see the government now belatedly taking steps once the political landscape has been coloured. It's right to make the visa system easier for top-tier academics, and right to allow foreign students, who contribute so much financially, to build their careers in the place that they've studied, but these steps should have already been in place and now in the short term at least they won't make up for the loss of students and faculty and collaborative opportunities at the hands of Brexit.

In general Britain needs immigration, and migrants from the EU tend to be well educated, adaptable, and of working age, beyond their cultural value adding a net contribution to the economy. I worry that with freedom of movement out of the way the immigration system will become two-tiered, with easy access for the rich and experienced and very highly educated, with a sort of chattel class whose movement is necessary but heavily regulated. Of course countries will also leverage immigration for the trade deals we'll be desperate to implement.

I'm most amused by the Tory ministers coming out with "Good on us for dumping this retarded policy... that we instigated five minutes ago..."

I don't think Johnson is a bigger cunt or even as underhand as Farage or Banks, although obviously he's under closer scrutiny. Everybody can be embarrassed but sometimes you see Johnson wince or visibly uncomfortable with the things he's said or the steps he has taken. Unlike Trump, Farage, etc., I think he knows to some degree that he's being an arsehole.

Anyway it's very difficult for him to forge a pact or coalition with the Brexit Party given the outcry that would follow from 'one-nation' Conservatives and the fact that his leadership campaign was predicated on him being strong and charismatic enough to quash Farage's appeal. It would surely lead to a few more defections, and there must be some middle Englanders who it would turn off, even if that group has grossly diminished in number. Perhaps a backdoor deal with Farage is more likely. But I suppose if an election were to take place before Brexit, we could see any number of explicitly temporary pacts or coalitions.

Strong words but I don't believe it at all.

Johnson is a bigger cunt than the two of them...

Also a quote from the editor of the S*n with his double-barrelled private education...

Farage is perfectly acceptable dinner company for Borris.