Last game you completed and rating

Last Of Us 2, absolutely spectacular. The story hooked me hard, felt every blow at times, and felt genuinely uncomfortable at points. Looking forward to reading the thread when it's back up.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally completed Outer Wilds after ages of playing it on and off. Honestly one of my favourite games of all time, with a genuinely interesting narrative told in a completely unique way. 

I love that the game tells you basically nothing. There's no hand holding whatsoever yet the puzzles flow together seamlessly, always pointing you in the right direction while being subtle enough to make you feel like you have an actual functioning brain. 

The story kept me constantly engaged through to its poignant, bittersweet ending, despite being told almost entirely either visually or through short strings of wall-scribblings from a race of ancient aliens. It's not TOO word-dense or dialogue heavy, and once you have the complete picture is almost paradoxically linear for a tale about quantum mechanics. What's there is drip-fed perfectly and keeps you guessing about what's happening until the very end.

The task of understanding and potentially stopping the 22 minute time loop seemed, to me, genuinely impossible until the last hour or so, when all the pieces came together and the process gradually became obvious, just through tracing what the previous inhabitants of the solar system were doing, thousands of years before you showed up, following their trail in and out of each planet. It's all there from the start too, you could genuinely complete the game in the first hour if you stumbled across things by blind luck, but of course, the design carefully leads you in a direction that means you won't. 

Graphics are nothing to write home about by any means but the game somehow always finds a way to look stunning in spite of it. The dynamic lighting is beautiful. The planets look amazing and have great variety, ranging from the terrifying storms on Giants Deep, the imploding Brittle Hollow, the sand flowing from Ash Twin to Ember Twin, they're antagonistic and your worst enemy, but the urge to explore and conquer them pulls you through the game. Unpicking their secrets was like a quiet, more reflective rendition of figuring out how to get on to the colossi in Shadow of the Colossus.

The only downside to this game is that you could never replay it. Once you know the secret, all you could realistically do is race to do it faster. 

It's a 10/10.

Time limits are one of my number one pet hates so I've never considered this, but that's such a glittering review I'll probably have to give it a go. The pet hate only comes on when it feels like 50 hours of my life might potentially go to waste (I'm looking at you here, Lightning Returns). That's obviously not the case here.

I feel like you won't like it, as the crux of the game comes down to how the overarching narrative grabs you. But then I thought you wouldn't like Death Stranding, so who knows :lol: it's on gamepass though, so it's worth an install. 

I don't mind narrative as long as it's good, but most importantly as long as I don't have to stop playing for five minutes to read pretentious A Level standard gibberish which the developers felt was integral to their game :lol:

It's always been on the Under £8 list, I might bump it up to the Under £13 list :lol:

If it's told mostly visually then I'm sold tbh

Edited by OpenC

Detroit Become Human

Totally loved it, Mrs B watched it from start to finish as the story hooked her in as i played it.

Great story, great voice acting, great game 9 out of 10.

17 hours ago, Andy said:

Finally completed Outer Wilds after ages of playing it on and off. Honestly one of my favourite games of all time, with a genuinely interesting narrative told in a completely unique way. 

I love that the game tells you basically nothing. There's no hand holding whatsoever yet the puzzles flow together seamlessly, always pointing you in the right direction while being subtle enough to make you feel like you have an actual functioning brain. 

The story kept me constantly engaged through to its poignant, bittersweet ending, despite being told almost entirely either visually or through short strings of wall-scribblings from a race of ancient aliens. It's not TOO word-dense or dialogue heavy, and once you have the complete picture is almost paradoxically linear for a tale about quantum mechanics. What's there is drip-fed perfectly and keeps you guessing about what's happening until the very end.

The task of understanding and potentially stopping the 22 minute time loop seemed, to me, genuinely impossible until the last hour or so, when all the pieces came together and the process gradually became obvious, just through tracing what the previous inhabitants of the solar system were doing, thousands of years before you showed up, following their trail in and out of each planet. It's all there from the start too, you could genuinely complete the game in the first hour if you stumbled across things by blind luck, but of course, the design carefully leads you in a direction that means you won't. 

Graphics are nothing to write home about by any means but the game somehow always finds a way to look stunning in spite of it. The dynamic lighting is beautiful. The planets look amazing and have great variety, ranging from the terrifying storms on Giants Deep, the imploding Brittle Hollow, the sand flowing from Ash Twin to Ember Twin, they're antagonistic and your worst enemy, but the urge to explore and conquer them pulls you through the game. Unpicking their secrets was like a quiet, more reflective rendition of figuring out how to get on to the colossi in Shadow of the Colossus.

The only downside to this game is that you could never replay it. Once you know the secret, all you could realistically do is race to do it faster. 

It's a 10/10.

Really enjoyed reading through that, I've had Outer Wilds downloaded for a while, hope to give it a try soon.

On 22/03/2021 at 11:05, Si said:

Last Of Us 2, absolutely spectacular. The story hooked me hard, felt every blow at times, and felt genuinely uncomfortable at points. Looking forward to reading the thread when it's back up.

From your last two posts, I'm guessing you completed Last of us and then went on to Last of us 2.

That's exactly what I did, and it made it so much better. I think when last of us 2 first came out, many hadn't done it this way, and went straight into part 2. I Think I'll still go back and do a full play through again at some point, and play the more challenging setting.

Great game👍🏻

2 hours ago, mighty__mag said:

From your last two posts, I'm guessing you completed Last of us and then went on to Last of us 2.

That's exactly what I did, and it made it so much better. I think when last of us 2 first came out, many hadn't done it this way, and went straight into part 2. I Think I'll still go back and do a full play through again at some point, and play the more challenging setting.

Great game👍🏻

Yeah replayed 1, then went into 2. Really enjoyed both. Absolute masterclass in storytelling.

• 2 weeks later...

Danganronpa is an excellent series. I can't recommend it enough if you're even vaguely interested in the murder mystery visual novel genre. 

3 hours ago, OpenC said:

Are they the Nippon Ichi ones? Nearly bought them loads of times just because it's NIS, though they're clearly not my thing :lol:

Noppon Ichi published them in the west, developed by Spike Chunsoft, you'd absolutely hate them because its 99% people talking with only vaguely gameplay like sections. Honestly they are the type of game thats as easy just to watch someone play as play yourself as beyond one bit in the first game theres only one way to go through them 

• 2 weeks later...

Black Mesa

It stayed fairly loyal to the original. With some changes to some of the levels. Xen got a complete overhaul and they made On A Rail very different.

Otherwise the game was all right. Played like Half-Life, which you would expect. There were some moments where I would get stuck on terrain or invisible objects.

The jumping and the ladders were awkward too.

7/10

Yakuza Kiwami 2

Another brilliant entry into what has thus far been a captivating Japanese action-adventure series.

What the Yakuza games seem to get so consistently right is striking a (seemingly) irreconcilable balance between irreverent humour and wacky side-stories, with serious character drama. 

It's brilliant to not just experience Kiryu's battles with the seedy underbelly of Yakuza conspiracies and violence, but also the joys of helping out the residents of Kamurocho with their everyday travails - such as Kiryu unwittingly becoming a voice-actor for male erotica and another where he has to beat an old man on Virtua Fighter in the SEGA Arcade to help clear his amnesia.

The main narrative meanwhile is a briskly-paced gangster drama that is amplified with the introduction of yet another great central antagonist -  Ryuji Goda (The Dragon of Kansai), following on from Kuze in Yakuza 0 and Nishikiyama in Kiwami 1. 

There's a notable improvement from 0 and Kiwami 1 in how it plays too, the 'dragon' engine gets a big overhaul here with completely retooled physics and more fluid animations in combat.

I found the brawling here to be far smoother and more focused on player empowerment through a streamlined upgrade system.

There are also seamless transitions from entering shops, restaurants and other locales which is a big step-up from other games in the series.

My only real issue with the game is that although the side-activities are varied, the 'big' diversions aren't particularly engaging for my taste, these include a tower-defense style 'clan battle' mode and also a club management sim where you try and turn around the fortunes of an ailing hostess bar. It's obvious from the sheer number of missions and the time-sink structure underpinning them, that the developers foreseen those activities to be something players would keep going back to me, but I just couldn't get to grips with it and went back to the main story.

If you've never played the Yakuza games yet, I'd thoroughly recommend experiencing them. They seem to usually be on offer on Steam, Playstation Store and even on GamePass for Xbox.

8/10

Wolfenstein: New Order

Had a better experience playing this compared to Old Blood. In Old Blood textures always took a second to load whenever you looked at them, making everything look blurry a lot.

While the camera movement could be laggy, making the aiming very unpleasant. Had none of those issues in New Order.

The shooting was solid and the story ridiculous (it is Wolfenstein after all). I feel the game loved a bit too much to surround you in the shooting arenas. BJ is pretty slow even when sprinting, so it is very hard to avoid taking damage when the enemies shoot from all directions.

Doubly frustrating there as the game throws in more hard hitting bullet sponges in those situations the further you get in the game.

All in all I quite enjoyed the game in the end though.

8/10

Resident Evil Village.

I played 2% and watched as my friend played the rest.

3/10.

Why? Spoilers for the whole game.

Spoiler

I thought Lady Big Ti .. Lady D I mean, was the biggest villain. She and the daughters are killed before you even get into the game and I'm not a fan when they become big monsters. Had the game only taken place in the village and the castle itself, it would have been so much better. The rest just felt boring.

Ah, that's a shame. I've never really got on with the traditional Resident Evils, was one of those terrible gamers that preferred 5 and 6 to the rest, but I'd been keeping an eye on this one just because it looked so unique in its style. Good that I read that early :)

Mafia: Definitive Edition

Played it on Classic difficulty, which can easily become a frustrating affair. Especially in the race mission and when you defend the truck from the police cars.

The people who designed those missions in both the original and DE deserve a punch in the face. They were that annoying to me.

The shooting moments on classic were so-so. They tried to blend the original's mechanics with a cover shooter. Which means getting hit very often when you pop out to shoot an enemy.

With the limited health some of those moments can become tricky when you have to go through the rest of the level with dying from one hit since you're all out of health pick ups. Which can take a while, since some sections can be fairly long between checkpoints.

6/10 feels a bit harsh, but all in all I think that is how much fun I had with it in the end.

Posted (edited)

Ghost of Tsushima

Headline: it's another open world game.  They reached their high water mark with Horizon for me and I can't imagine anybody ever doing it better than that - and that was great because the combat was unusual and refined and the enemies were just generally brilliant.  It succeeded despite the open world, not because of it.

This one looks great, sounds great.  The environment is really well done and the weather and sun effects in particular really do make it look amazing at times.  They did a great job with the characters and particularly the expressions and just the faces in general as well.  Really impressive.  The only thing I'd criticise is the guiding wind effect, which was a bit overdone.  A couple of zephyrs through the grass would have been enough to guide you to your next destination - making the wind effect as powerful as they did just made it ridiculous when (for example) clothes were blowing around all over the place despite being in a house with the doors shut :lol: Audio is well done, Japanese dub sounds great.  No idea what the English acting is like. 

The melee combat is pretty much the best I've played in a game of this type, though it looks much more sophisticated than it actually is.  The combos are smooth and switching stances is seamless, and watching it you'd genuinely think that the player is doing a lot more than just hammering at triangle and square.  At the end of the day it's really just about matching stances to opponents and breaking defences, and it didn't ever feel much more complex than that but I don't think it needed to.  I didn't even try it on higher than normal and I don't suppose I ever will - the combat being the best in a game of this type is obviously a pretty low bar.  Maybe Mike is right and it's a majestic game played on higher difficulties.  I feel like lethal mode is probably exactly how this should work, but I can't imagine playing through some of the later battles and being wiped out by archers 50 yards away over and over again.  Some of the fights toward the end were soul-destroyingly long.  Fewer enemies and less signposted unblockable attacks would probably have made for a better game.

It's unforgivable not to be able to skip cutscenes.  Maybe they are master storytellers; as usual, I couldn't really care about what was going on or the backstory of any of the people I met, and although none of the cutscenes outstayed their welcome I would still have liked to just be able to fuck them off and get on with the game.  Stealth sections were pretty shit - guards appeared to just walk past you at the same time as apparently noticing you, so as long as they'd got far enough past without their curiousity gauge filling to the top then you were OK.

Overall it just makes me sad that the setting and the visuals and the combat ended up in another generic open world game filled with mundane shite to do; and foxes to follow through cracks in rocks and if you follow enough then you can use another charm; and merchants to buy the dozens of things you pick up that you aren't interested in finding out what they do.  Didn't use a single wind chime.  Not one sticky bomb.  Not one whatever the other one is, either.  Used kunais until I became indestructible.  The number of times I had to follow footprints in the mud at night just got ridiculous in the end :lol:  Not sure how much of that was mandatory though, I feel like I might have had to do that for some non-essential sidequests.  I played the first act properly, explored the whole place and did loads of the side content before I ran out of enthusiasm for this game's flavour of open world.  When, at the end of the first act, a monk turned up and said "hey, my lads need a hand as well", that was the end for playing it properly.  The second and third acts, if you look at my explored map you'd just see a line connecting the main story quests :lol:

Just alright.  Found it difficult to work up the enthusiasm to write anything about it, it's just so familiar and monotonous.  Somewhere between 5 and 7 depending on tolerance for open worlds and how open worlds inevitably work.  I'd probably be generous and lean closer to 7.

Edited by OpenC

On 12/05/2021 at 09:48, Nattfare said:

Mafia: Definitive Edition

Played it on Classic difficulty, which can easily become a frustrating affair. Especially in the race mission and when you defend the truck from the police cars.

The people who designed those missions in both the original and DE deserve a punch in the face. They were that annoying to me.

The shooting moments on classic were so-so. They tried to blend the original's mechanics with a cover shooter. Which means getting hit very often when you pop out to shoot an enemy.

With the limited health some of those moments can become tricky when you have to go through the rest of the level with dying from one hit since you're all out of health pick ups. Which can take a while, since some sections can be fairly long between checkpoints.

6/10 feels a bit harsh, but all in all I think that is how much fun I had with it in the end.

Just played through this myself. Just did it on medium cos I'm not a big gamer and just wanted to play through it for the story. Just love the setting and the characters. You could see what was coming... 

Spoiler

Paulie getting killed for aspirations/Sam turning bad

... but I still loved it. Kind of a tragic story, really. 

Particularly enjoyed the levels where you had to chase Morello's plane, the racing level, and various others. The one on the boat was good too. Probably got killed the most times trying to escape the prison after snipering the politician, and that one where you've got to sneak around looking for the box of cigars/diamonds.