Last game you completed + rating

Yorkie

• 4 weeks later...

Finished Zelda Link's Awakening on Switch last night. Lovely game, beautiful unusual art style, refreshingly like a traditional Zelda game after BotW, but also pretty different with its Mario inspired elements. I got a bit bored and stuck on one of the dungeons and left it for a while, but really enjoyed overall.

Just completed Tales of Arise. If you can manage JRPGs, it's a great experience.

Not too trope heavy or cringe (compared to other games in the genre), great action gameplay and a compelling story. It looks pretty too (with some tweaks on PC to avoid pop in) and I never once got bored of the short battle cut scenes for powerful linked moves.

Also recently completed Deponia, which is canny enough if you like point and clicks. It's always on sale on Steam. Bonus!

Hoping to post in here more that I've expanded my PS5 storage and can get some games completed instead of rinsing Fifa and COD :lol:

Will finish Star Wars Fallen Jedi, get that out of the way - avoiding it as I think it's boring as fuck, but worry it's because I'm just before where it gets good or something.  Then it will be Last Of Us 2. I've got the PS5 patch version now, so can enjoy it in it's full glory. I've picked up lots in the PS Plus free games each month and bought the odd one over time, so I will need to assess what to play after. Probably will go and complete that Detroit: Become Human, as I did a few levels and enjoyed it.

On 22/10/2021 at 21:29, Inferior Acuña said:

Finished Zelda Link's Awakening on Switch last night. Lovely game, beautiful unusual art style, refreshingly like a traditional Zelda game after BotW, but also pretty different with its Mario inspired elements. I got a bit bored and stuck on one of the dungeons and left it for a while, but really enjoyed overall.

Getting this game as a Christmas present off the wife, looking forward to playing some Zelda again.

Meh-troid Dread - 

It's a good game and I have a soft spot for Metroid because of Super Metroid and Metroid Prime, but 2-D Metroidvania's have really moved on leaps and bounds in the last decade and and this feels like it's in this strange grey area of not having the truly great art direction, scope, variety, or depth of Ori or Hollow Knight, but also not really itching any nostagic itch either. Visually it's gone modern but without being anything to write home about. It's well designed, looks decent, the bosses are fun, and the controls are nice, but it doesn't have the atmosphere or sense of isolation that you get in SM/Prime. If it wasn't Metroid I'd probably have gone in with lower expectations, but it's a bit meh. 

7.5/10

The Forgotten City 8/10

Full game of the Skyrim mod and it's rather excellent, don't want to spoil it too much but you end up going back in time to a Roman City around the time of Nero with one rule the many shall suffer for the sins of the one, ie if anyone commits a "sin" everyone is punished for it oh and there is a deadline as someone will commit a sin guaranteed before the end of the day and you have to go back in time to try again. Mostly talking and investigating leads you pick up from people with a minor bit of combat involved (which really doesn't fit but anyway). My main complaint is you have whispers giving hints to you or guiding you to where to go next for some objectives (there is an explanation in game for his) but there's no option to turn these off and that takes away some of the challenge. But well worth a go especially if you have gamepass as it's on that at the moment. 

• 2 weeks later...

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice 8.5/10. 

Very close to a 9 actually, absolutely loved it. The combat system is sublime, once it clicks it just feels so great. A bit more approachable than Soulsborne, which suits me absolutely fine. Never really feel bothered about stuff like crafting or too much RPG stuff, so just this hit the sweet spot with some very light RPG stuff.

Bloodborne is still the best From game I've played (only played about half DS 3, Bloodborne and this), but this is a very strong second.

Dark Souls 3

I'm going to give it a fair run and judge it entirely on its merits, now that the whole series is a bit long in the tooth.  It was received, probably by me too, with a bit of a weary shrug at the time and a lot of people felt it was really just a From greatest hits package.  I haven't played it through since the first time so this replay was a long time coming.

First up, it looks and sounds great I think.  I've only ever played it on a stock PS4 so only seen it running at 30fps but the framerate is good enough, and consistent.  It took the world enhancements first seen in Bloodborne and surrounds the player and enemies with swirling cinders and dust that really do add to the experience for me.  The enemies and bosses are mostly well done, and the sound effects and music are great as is usual for the series (other than the weird squeaky soundtrack of Demon's Souls).

In terms of world design it's another linear experience; the only really significant feeling fork in the game for me is the one at the ruined fort on the road of sacrifices, with one direction leading to the dead end that is the Cathedral and the other leading on to the catacombs and ultimately the Anor Londo remake. The new path that opens from near the first proper boss, and the couple of little bolted on sections, are offshoots and feel designed to be discovered at a specific point rather than well realised new areas which could be explored when the other way gets too tough. You could possibly level the same argument at the cathedral but I feel like that area is big and complex enough to feel like a separate part of the world.

Is it such a bad thing to be more linear, though? Dark Souls had a fairly small but complex and intricately designed world which folded back on and into itself in a satisfyingly revealed way, and other than perhaps Metroid Prime I can't think of an equal to it. Demon's Souls, though, and Bloodborne, both felt more episodic and didn't really suffer for the change.  This is more of the same - it's definitely cut from the same cloth as Bloodborne but I feel like the world hangs together coherently enough and although the bosses stop you from exploiting suicide dashes to pick up advanced gear from difficult areas I don't think it ever felt like the corridor that DS2 sometimes did.

I haven't played 1 and 2 for so long that I can't recall how the stats and character development compare. It works well enough in this. Separating vitality and endurance feels irritating to start with but ensures that if you want to build a tank, you'll have to go the extra mile to get it to hit hard as well.  This was the first Dark Souls in which my first completion wasn't achieved with a zweihander or equivalent - I felt like the regular swords and axes had their place here where I always felt that in DS1 I had to work toward an extreme STR or DEX weapon and ignore the other, I usually finish this one fairly close on both.  Making magic and skill users split their estus flasks was an inspired choice, I thought, and really made the game harder for magic users who generally have an easier time.

Combat isn't quite as satisfying as Bloodborne but was easily the best in the series; still having a huge focus on defence but amping up the offence with quicker rolling and the weapon stances which really do add a dimension. There are plenty of wandering mobs who'll cause problems for less experienced players, and the bosses are generally the same high quality that we've come to expect with From. Only the Crystal Sage and Deacons of the Deep fights stood out as disappointing to me, and even the majestic first Dark Souls had Pinwheel and the Moonlight Butterfly.

There are plenty of viable ways to play it and so much scope to design your character exactly as you want, which is From's real genius for me - any build that you put some thought into will work, if you're good enough.

It looks and sounds great, it plays great, it's consistently at a high standard with no really weak sections (Crystal Cave, anyone?) and its design is up there with From's best work.  When it's at its best - in the castle at the start, in Irythyll, in the Cathedral  - it's the equal of anything else From have made.  It's much, much better than I remembered it being.  9, easily. Let's see if adding a jump button improves matters.

Edited by OpenC

I suspect had DS3 been the first one I played I'd feel more favourably towards it because objectively it's an excellent game. Maybe to newbies to the series you should point them at DS3 first, then the older games that inspired it, because those older games aren't diminished from playing DS3 first and perhaps are enhanced by it.

Deathloop - 7.5/10

Really enjoyed it. Stylish and slick that reminded me of bio shock in some ways.

I only played the single-player mode to break the loop and hope there’s a sequel or another game like it in the future.

Edited by Scribble

Disco Elysium. Very good. Not what I was expecting but really enjoyed it. I was brought up on P&C adventures so its great to see one do so well. I don't think I bought in to it as much as the hype suggested. Not sure whether that is down to finding it too wordy, playing without sound (I can't with most PC games these days, I just get interrupted too much and it causes issues) or the mental health angle picked at a scab I'd rather it not. Overall though glad I went there.

8.5/10

Just finished Life is Strange 2. Although I'm really glad studios are making narrative heavy, choices matter games, it didn't come close to the first one for me.

Still a good game, but the characters weren't as likeable, the choices as believable or the ending as fulfilling as the previous one. 5/7.

17 hours ago, Guybrush said:

Just finished Life is Strange 2. Although I'm really glad studios are making narrative heavy, choices matter games, it didn't come close to the first one for me.

Still a good game, but the characters weren't as likeable, the choices as believable or the ending as fulfilling as the previous one. 5/7.

Best game you've ever played then? 

Pokemon: Brilliant Diamond (Nintendo Switch) - 6/10

It's a remake, but unfortunately nowhere near the class of the Heart Gold/Soul Silver remakes. The game itself still holds up very well. It's not as good a version of this story as Pokemon Platinum, which in my eyes is still the best version if anyone wants to play through the Gen 4 Pokemon adventure. The biggest problem I had is that there is not a huge amount to come back to the Sinnoh region for if you have already played the original versions or Platinum. The chibi style graphics do not work here, like they do in Link's Awakening. They don't look impressive and the art style really doesn't add to the game in any way. In fact, the game switches from the chibi style to the more classic anime style when you go from the overworld into a battle, which feels a little half-baked. 

Is it a terrible game? Absolutely not. Does it feel like a quick annual update to have a new Pokemon game available for Christmas? Absolutely. New Pokemon Snap is still by far the most fun to be had with this series on Switch in my opinion.

Cyberpunk 2077

I liked the characters, most of the writing and the story in this. Story wise the final mission was rushed though.

The gameplay wasn't very memorable however. The driving, the combat, the AI, other games has managed to do those things better.

A lot of the exploring of the map made the game often feel like a Ubisoft game, but with competent writing.

Writing: 8/10

Gameplay: 6/10