Last game you completed + rating

Yorkie

Danganronpa V3. Nah, not for me. Felt like everything was worse than the previous 2. Maybe I'm just burned out on the series? Worst of the lot.

Spoiler

The ending dragged on for far, far too long and was essentially, iT wAs AlL a DrEaM oR WaS iT?! Not as clever as it tried to be and became very tedious. Glad that's over!

Metroid Dread

(Customary gonna list loads of things that I think weren't done well in a game I overall enjoyed warning)

So yeah, this was a solid effort. Starting with some positives I thought the combat was great, especially when it came to the main bosses. Once you got used to their patterns they were generally ok but a decent challenge. And it had that typical Metroid feel of the further you get the more of a God you become. I thought the Space Jump/Screw Attack combo would be considered busted by todays standards but it's here in all its glory. And an interesting order you get the items too. One item in particular I got way later than I was expecting.

It generally controls really well too. Samus feels really responsive and has all the moves to really zip around the environments. I do have a few gripes here though. Firstly it's all arguably a little too fast paced for a Metroid game. It's full on action over perhaps the slightly more ponderous nature of the early games. Not a bad thing per se, but arguably not Metroid (for reasons we'll come on to). Secondly there's a few instances towards the end where the controls become a little fiddly. You get so many powerups you end up having to do things like hold R1 for 2 seconds, then hold L1, then use the stick to aim, then press Y to fire. Things like that. You get used to it but it potentially goes a little far.

I think one of the biggest strengths and weaknesses of the game is its map design. It's very cleverly done in what it's trying to do but unfortunately I noticed what was going on early and it did hamper my enjoyment a bit. Essentially if you were to go and look at its map you'd see this big massive sprawling world - but in reality you're following a very carefully crafted path through it. There's multiple points of no return that lock you into certain areas until you get the item you need to get back out. Then once you have that item you can immediately see the bit you need to use it on, whilst going backwards is locked off. It gives you the feel of exploration without actually requiring you to really explore. Essentially if I loaded Super Metroid, Hollow Knight, Dark Souls, etc, and you took the map off me I'd find my way around no problem as I learned the layout as I played. I wouldn't have a clue where I was in Metroid Dread as I was essentially following a straight line. Not everyone who plays wants to get lost so this is very much a YMMV issue.

Aesthetically I'm not sure it hits the mark. It's gone for the futuristic sci fi look which obviously fits the franchise but it's generic as hell. The 2.5D effect it used to good effect in places but I'd have rather had some hand drawn art, or good sprite work, that sort of thing. The atmosphere issue comes into it here too. For a game called Dread I sure didn't feel any. In Super Metroid you're all alone, with a close up camera, deep in a claustrophobic alien planet, with somewhat clunky movement. Instead here we have graphically impressive areas, a zoomed out camera, Samus zipping around the levels at breakneck speed. It's not bad - it's just different. 

And finally I need to mention the stealth sections. As the game went on I came to not mind these as much, and they even became somewhat satisfying. They were a slog early though. I can see what they were going for but I'm not sure the game needed it.

Overall though I had a blast. In terms of design it's perhaps not how I'd have chose it. But what we got I enjoyed very much.

8/10

Just finished the NES Super Mario Bros. and was presented with a ‘Now try a more difficult quest’. Like the last few levels (8-2, 8-3 and 8-4) was not difficult enough! Great game though, still throughly enjoyable today and a good challenge too.

• 2 weeks later...

Mario Odyssey (main story). As I mentioned in currently playing, I thought the design of the game was really brilliant, and surpassed my expectations. However, from someone who almost never complains about games being too easy, this was too easy. I'm not one for being severely punished, but this was barely a challenge at all, so was missing that feeling of getting a star that you get on other games - the bosses too was almost all a piece of piss. The contrast to previous games was heightened by the fact I played Mario 64 just about 6 months ago. 

On 03/01/2021 at 08:47, OpenC said:

I have a feeling that they essentially nerfed poise with one of the calibration updates. They probably realised that playing like DS1 where a powered up zwei with enough stamina for three R2 swings was essentially god mode (once you got the timing down) if you couldn't be knocked out of the attack animation.

The review is pretty much how I felt about DS3. I enjoyed it and I put hours and hours into it like all the others, but it was the right time to say goodbye to the series until they had some new ideas.

Also :thup: to the relentless attackers. Was it this one or DS2 that had the gigantic knight dudes on the castle ramparts? Similar to the midsize Anor Londo guys (the ones at the top of the stairs from the spinning bridge, not the huge ones outside the O&S door) but faster and aggressive and endlessly attacking? Might have been 2, actually

It was 2.  These guys

Not particularly difficult because they're still slow, but the endless attacks just felt stupid

Oh good. These just look like upgraded versions of the fuckers from the tower of flame. Got that to look forward to :)

The Outer Worlds (Obsidian's capitalistic satire and not the other game)

I feel like this game has gotten more praise than it deserves. Probably because Bethesda has released some rather lackluster Fallout games recently and TOW was the best alternative.

I found he gameplay and combat to be a bit stilty and awkward. Sure, it is supposed to be an RPG and not a pure shooter, but it throws way too many combat moments at you, making the next encounter feel even less interesting than the previous one.

The narrative was also suffering from the constant satire being dripped into everything. From the NPC's you interact with to the messages on the computer consoles.

When this is the only angle you ever encounter the world feels less real or interesting. Either an interesting narrative or interesting characters are lacking in most cases in the game. The whole thing felt more like a series of satirical jokes than an actual story that I could care about.

The Peril on Gorgon expansion did things a bit better with the game, but loses momentum in the later stage of the story while Murder on Eridanos was better than all of the base game. The latter having you running around investigating a murder mystery of an actress in a luxurious hotel and holiday resort.

The biggest let down for MoE was still the gameplay and the abrupt ending that didn't feel like it left any aftermath anyway.

It just ended, not let's forget anything even happened.
Which could probably also be said for the ending of the main game as well. The narrative went from the colony being in great peril to everything worked out perfectly in the end, from just saving a mad scientist and murdering one member of the Board.
And all of a sudden the whole Board dissolves out of nowhere, like it was never there in the slideshow.

The Outer Worlds 5/10

Peril on Gorgon 6/10
Murder on Eridanos 7/10

I would probably have been happy to just play MoE, but you still need the rather underwhelming base game for that if you don't have game pass.

20 hours ago, Nattfare said:

The Outer Worlds (Obsidian's capitalistic satire and not the other game)

I feel like this game has gotten more praise than it deserves. Probably because Bethesda has released some rather lackluster Fallout games recently and TOW was the best alternative.

I found he gameplay and combat to be a bit stilty and awkward. Sure, it is supposed to be an RPG and not a pure shooter, but it throws way too many combat moments at you, making the next encounter feel even less interesting than the previous one.

The narrative was also suffering from the constant satire being dripped into everything. From the NPC's you interact with to the messages on the computer consoles.

When this is the only angle you ever encounter the world feels less real or interesting. Either an interesting narrative or interesting characters are lacking in most cases in the game. The whole thing felt more like a series of satirical jokes than an actual story that I could care about.

The Peril on Gorgon expansion did things a bit better with the game, but loses momentum in the later stage of the story while Murder on Eridanos was better than all of the base game. The latter having you running around investigating a murder mystery of an actress in a luxurious hotel and holiday resort.

The biggest let down for MoE was still the gameplay and the abrupt ending that didn't feel like it left any aftermath anyway.

It just ended, not let's forget anything even happened.
Which could probably also be said for the ending of the main game as well. The narrative went from the colony being in great peril to everything worked out perfectly in the end, from just saving a mad scientist and murdering one member of the Board.
And all of a sudden the whole Board dissolves out of nowhere, like it was never there in the slideshow.

The Outer Worlds 5/10

Peril on Gorgon 6/10
Murder on Eridanos 7/10

I would probably have been happy to just play MoE, but you still need the rather underwhelming base game for that if you don't have game pass.

I loved the Outer Worlds to be honest, but i'm biased it was the game that got me back interested in gaming, prior to playing it it had been a solid 4/5 years since i'd sunk my teeth into anything, so I may be looking through rose tinted glasses. It's not the greatest game in the world, don't get me wrong, but I personally loved the aesthetic and setting of the game, that kind of capitalistic hell-scape that they managed to build over the course of the game was both intriguing and fun, and the story was pretty compelling. It also got bonus points for me for being pretty concise, and not having to do random fetch quests 100 different times, and the maps are pretty rich too. 

I have similar gripes to you mind, the combat is pretty clunky, and some of the enemies get pretty boring and familiar, and some of the dialog can be a bit weird. Would personally rate it at about 7.5/10 ish. Its a nice mix of Fallout and Mass Effect.

• 2 weeks later...

Cyber Shadow. That was difficult in parts, like. You can tell why the publishers of Shovel Knight chose to publish it. Had to summon the megadrive skills of yore.

Couldn't tell you what the story was supposed to be, but if you're in to challenging platformers, give it a go.

3 minutes ago, Facundo Ferreyra said:

few too many "duck behind walls and shoot identical enemies" parts

:thup: it gets so you do a little shiver of dread when you encounter what is obviously an arena for the next interminable gun battle among the rest of the game's design. For me, that holds true for the rest of the series, and TLOU, as well

Edited by OpenC

Spider-Man on ps4, 7/10

Finally got around to finishing this main story is good but good god is there a lot of superfluous shit (I think the challenges were I drew the line and just said nope) in the open world. 

Pro's 

Decent combat

Great fun just going around New York and hopping down on random crimes occurring

Cons

Too much crap lying around open world (60 odd secret photo opportunities fuck that!) 

3rd act feels a bit rushed tbh 

Any MJ or Miles mandatory stealth mission.

The fact in base assaults you can carefully take down each guy stealthily then along comes wave 2 with them already alerted so you wasted your time and might as well have started punching 

4 minutes ago, jdckelly said:

Spider-Man on ps4, 7/10

Finally got around to finishing this main story is good but good god is there a lot of superfluous shit (I think the challenges were I drew the line and just said nope) in the open world. 

Pro's 

Decent combat

Great fun just going around New York and hopping down on random crimes occurring

Cons

Too much crap lying around open world (60 odd secret photo opportunities fuck that!) 

3rd act feels a bit rushed tbh 

Any MJ or Miles mandatory stealth mission.

The fact in base assaults you can carefully take down each guy stealthily then along comes wave 2 with them already alerted so you wasted your time and might as well have started punching 

I really liked it having just finished it with the platinum trophy, but your criticisms are entirely valid.  Would give it 8.5 myself. 

I did like it but just felt like they could have cut the flab a bit, finishing up the dlc as well (got goty edition) which is also good but more fucking challenges with screwball just no fuck that whatever the costume reward is is not worth it. On a more minor criticism too many of the costumes are armour, give us spandex it's spider-man not iron man (though I do like they put in the rami and amazing movie suits that was a nice touch) 

Monster Sanctuary. Got a bit mental towards the end with a difficulty spike, but a bit of team rearranging saw me through.

An indie game worth picking up. Interesting mash up of genres with a good gameplay loop.  Got enough about it to get your money's worth game time wise too.

On 16/01/2022 at 18:24, Inferior Acuña said:

Mario Odyssey (main story). As I mentioned in currently playing, I thought the design of the game was really brilliant, and surpassed my expectations. However, from someone who almost never complains about games being too easy, this was too easy. I'm not one for being severely punished, but this was barely a challenge at all, so was missing that feeling of getting a star that you get on other games - the bosses too was almost all a piece of piss. The contrast to previous games was heightened by the fact I played Mario 64 just about 6 months ago. 

The main story is easy, some of the extra stuff is seriously challenging, particularly the darker side of the moon.

Always the way with the best Marios. The number of people who 'finished' Super Mario World compared to the number of people who found the Butter Bridge and the final stages and actually finished it properly must be very, very different.

Even the much lambasted Yoshi's Story on N64 had a hidden difficulty - you could blast through it in no time but if you did it properly and ate only the melons it was a different thing entirely.

Edited by OpenC

1 hour ago, OpenC said:

Always the way with the best Marios. The number of people who 'finished' Super Mario World compared to the number of people who found the Butter Bridge and the final stages and actually finished it properly must be very, very different.

Even the much lambasted Yoshi's Story on N64 had a hidden difficulty - you could blast through it in no time but if you did it properly and ate only the melons it was a different thing entirely.

I know Marios always have harder stuff after the main game but I feel like World etc, 64, Sunshine, the Galaxies gave a decent challenge in the main game too, whereas Odysee you have to actively go and seek it after putting the time into the main story. I guess it's due to shifting target audience. I'm not really a completionist so was left a bit unsatisfied. Having said that all the game's positives did entice me to go and get enough moons for the dark side of the moon (unusual for me to bother with that) - but then when I found the main tower was a repeat of the old bosses I lost interest. 

Hang on hang on. 

The Mario games are piss easy. Including the extra content, smb2, and whatever else they might throw at you. 

Ok some of it does rise to "a certain amount of challenge" but never more than that. 

I'm just not convicted that's true like Cf :lol: I found them hard enough when I was in my 20s and I'm nearly sure I couldn't do them now, without the benefit of an emulator and save/load states

Edited by OpenC

Lost levels was a challenge (but often in a cheap way), and world's 8 of SMB1/SMB3 were a step up compared to what came before but that's about it. 

World is probably the easiest entry in the franchise. Finding the hidden exits was fun, and a couple of special world levels were tough but the main game never really ramped up. 

Darker side of the moon in Odyssey wasn't too bad either I didn't think. It was just really long with no checkpoints. 

Maybe it was a comment for the hot takes thread. But outside the odd moment here and there the franchise is on the easy side. Find some not shit expert or super expert on Mario Maker to see what it could of been :)

Mario Maker classifications are a good way of looking at it actually. 

Easy/Medium: the majority of the series. 

Expert: the odd level, mainly some of final/special world's. 

Super Expert: the unlocked grand challege runs.