Last game you completed + rating

Yorkie

Recently finished playing through mario 1 and 2, difficulty level was just right for me. 3D world was easy in comparison bar a few levels in the bonus worlds (not sure I’ll ever complete champions road!) I’ll give mario 3 a go next though I’ve heard it’s one of the harder mario titles?

Started going through the Souls games lately - Dark Souls 1, 2 and 3 "completed" in the sense that I've beaten the games, and entered NG+. Cba trying to platinum though :lol:

I'd already finished DS3 on PC, but wanted to play them all on PS4.

Ratings:
DS1 = 9.5/10
DS2 = 8.5/10
DS3 = 9/10

Started Bloodborne - loving it, very similar to DS3 with the fast combat and such.

7 hours ago, Cf said:

Lost levels was a challenge (but often in a cheap way), and world's 8 of SMB1/SMB3 were a step up compared to what came before but that's about it. 

World is probably the easiest entry in the franchise. Finding the hidden exits was fun, and a couple of special world levels were tough but the main game never really ramped up. 

Darker side of the moon in Odyssey wasn't too bad either I didn't think. It was just really long with no checkpoints. 

Maybe it was a comment for the hot takes thread. But outside the odd moment here and there the franchise is on the easy side. Find some not shit expert or super expert on Mario Maker to see what it could of been :)

I mean I'm not an especially talented gamer but I've played quite a lot of games for reference and just don't find most Mario games 'piss easy'. I gave up on SMB3 just last year when went back to it. I finished main Mario World and Yoshi's Island but with persistence and frustration at various points. Mario 64 wasn't mad hard but there were numerous parts I had to give a good few goes, including the last boss which I maybe had to try 10 times. Mario Sunshine I got stuck (and bored) at some point and gave up. Galaxies I know there were some points I needed to persist. Odyssey was very noticeably a coast for me, in particular in comparison to 64 which I only played right through less than a year ago.

1 hour ago, SiLvOR said:

Started going through the Souls games lately - Dark Souls 1, 2 and 3 "completed" in the sense that I've beaten the games, and entered NG+. Cba trying to platinum though :lol:

I'd already finished DS3 on PC, but wanted to play them all on PS4.

Ratings:
DS1 = 9.5/10
DS2 = 8.5/10
DS3 = 9/10

Started Bloodborne - loving it, very similar to DS3 with the fast combat and such.

I haven't platinumed any of them either. Collecting all the rings and what have you man, as if :lol:

Uncharted 2. 

Fucking relentless. A massive Hollywood thriller in video game form which constantly gets more and more ridiculous. It still suffered from the same "shoot loads of blokes, move to another area and shoot loads more blokes" problem that the first did but it's a massive step up and a couple of hours longer. Had to use a guide to collect all 101 treasures because some of them were in impossible to find locations :lol:

Solid 9/10. I can see why it was critically lauded as one of the best PS3 games of all time. 

It's often referred to as the best one of the ps3 trilogy. It's definitely much better than the first one.

I havent played them in a while, but I remember really liking 4 and 4's spin off. If you're going to play the rest of the games in the series, you're in for a good time!

11 hours ago, Facundo Ferreyra said:

Uncharted 2. 

Fucking relentless. A massive Hollywood thriller in video game form which constantly gets more and more ridiculous. It still suffered from the same "shoot loads of blokes, move to another area and shoot loads more blokes" problem that the first did but it's a massive step up and a couple of hours longer. Had to use a guide to collect all 101 treasures because some of them were in impossible to find locations :lol:

Solid 9/10. I can see why it was critically lauded as one of the best PS3 games of all time. 

That's something that always annoys me about games that try and tell a story but ignore the ridiculous death toll.  RDR2 is a tale about Arthur Morgan trying to change his ways and become a better man, but he kills literally hundreds of people while doing it.  Nathan Drake is a laid back, wisecracking treasure hunter with a kill count that makes John Wick and Rambo looks like amateurs.  I don't know what bothers me more, that Drake has killed thousands of people without it affecting him at all, or that every other treasure hunter in the world apparently can afford to hire thousands of mercenaries.

At least TLOU2 showed there were consequences for the murder spree in the first game.

Edited by Troll

On 06/02/2022 at 12:23, Troll said:

That's something that always annoys me about games that try and tell a story but ignore the ridiculous death toll.  RDR2 is a tale about Arthur Morgan trying to change his ways and become a better man, but he kills literally hundreds of people while doing it.  

That's one of the few negatives I have for the game. I wish the number of enemies during some of the missions were scaled down, and that the combat was more challenging to compensate for fewer enemies. They should have nerfed the dead eye durations and accuracy of the weapons, and increased the damage you take and efficacy of tonics as a minimum.

• 2 weeks later...

Persona 5 Strikers. If you liked Persona 5 for the characters and music, then you should give it a go. If not, it's one to avoid. 

I discovered that I don't care for this type of 'Musou' style gameplay where you just fight waves and waves of baddies in real time. Doesn't have the same kinetic feel as fighting a group of enemies in say Shadow of Mordor or the Arkham games etc. 

Also, I'm pretty sure this game was written by the Japan tourism board because all I want to do Now it eat all the food mentioned at the locations it showcased [emoji38]

Was a canny play through, but definitely a one and done kind of deal. Got no intention to revisit it.

I loved Persona 5. Beat it and then platinumed Royal. 

But I did the introductory visit to the first palace and just wasn't feeling the gameplay at all. 

And despite Persona 5 being 50% (or more!) dialogue I need the gameplay itself to be engaging. 

18 hours ago, Cf said:

I loved Persona 5. Beat it and then platinumed Royal. 

But I did the introductory visit to the first palace and just wasn't feeling the gameplay at all. 

And despite Persona 5 being 50% (or more!) dialogue I need the gameplay itself to be engaging. 

Totally get it. The dungeon gameplay was a slog for the most part. 

Is Royal worth getting if you've played through 5?

17 minutes ago, Guybrush said:

Totally get it. The dungeon gameplay was a slog for the most part. 

Is Royal worth getting if you've played through 5?

Oh yeah definitely. So long as you fancy another playthrough. It improves on vanilla in so many ways.

Nice. I've been holding out for it to come to PC, because Golden did, and then Strikers, and now it's some sort of Persona Anniversary year. By the time it comes out I'll have probably forgot everything and be ready for another play through [emoji38]

Dark Souls II

Actually finished this a couple of weeks back. Was intending to finish the DLC too but have been short on time and elden ring is just around the corner. 

Overall really enjoyed this. Felt more like dark souls than dark souls 3 did. In many ways it brought back some demon's souls features (world layout, hollowing curse) that perhaps would be jarring coming from DS1 but I didn't mind. 

Level variety was decent, and mostly designed well. A few frustrating areas... Black Gulch, iron keep route to smelter demon both spring to mind. But solid overall. 

Despite the lack of interconnected world there was still a strong feeling of exploration as you could go off in many different directions and there were lots of hidden goodies to find. 

I think the Nexus is the best hub world but Majula is a very close second. 

I put this above 3 and Bloodborne, and about on par with 1. Bloodborne I felt was a little samey throughout and also 30fps. 1 had a superb opening but the second half of the game felt a little lacklustre in comparison. 2 never really hit the heights of 1 but was consistently good throughout. 

9/10

Life is Strange: True Colours. A return to form. It's captured and improved upon the vibe of the first one. The world looks fantastic and there's a great story driven narrative with strong characters. Empathy as a 'super power' and game mechanic is interesting too.

Is it for everyone? Nah. People could knock it for being excessively hipster, or perhaps a caricature for small town living ala Gilmore Girls, or dislike the genre as a whole, but I don't care. Great bit of escapism. It's a shame the game isn't longer.

If you've played the first one and enjoyed it, you'll like this. Plus, it has the best protagonist of the series. Recommended!

• 3 weeks later...

Horizon Forbidden West

Really enjoyed this thought it was an improvement in pretty much every way over the first game (eh maybe except the main story itself), like the first game the pacing is an issue, takes a while to really get going. On the plus side the biggest improvement for me is the side quests even the mundane go and kill some random machines here ones have a bit of story behind them so I wasn't skipping them like in ZD. 

9/10

• 2 weeks later...

Jack N Jill DX - A casual platformer where you only use one input button but it's not an endless runner. I played it on Vita but it's on every platform going. Surprisingly good and quite relaxing once you get into a rhythm. 

Shantae Half Genie Hero - A platformer with a hub level and some backtracking. Seems to be a series so I'm sure I missed out some character development... luckily I wasn't playing it for that and the platforming was good, some unique mechanics and fun levels. Didn't take itself too seriously either. A decent game if you can play it for free/cheap.

Far: Lone Sails.

Little 2D puzzler platformer which may well be too slow and abstract (and easy) for some but which I've really enjoyed playing through. Shares some similarities with Limbo and with the brilliant Journey but it's entirely its own thing, a left to right traversal of a barren and frequently hostile landscape in a weird car/train/ship hybrid that find at the start and have to keep moving along and get past the various obstacles that you encounter.

You find the sail of the title not long after starting out and when it's up and the wind is blowing the world just trundles by but you can't always use the sail - you can use ropes to pull the vehicle along with you but a lot of the game revolves around finding things you can throw into the vehicle's engine/reactor/whatever to create power and using the various switches on the vehicle to fire up the engine, or drop the anchor, or blow off excess steam and a variety of other things. You also have to fix things as they break. The way you have to worry about managing the vehicle, running around the various rooms pushing (and avoiding) switches while watching for precious burnable items passing by reminded me of nothing so much as Lovers In A Dangerous Spacetime, which I also loved. 

In contrast to that joyous experience, this has a very sombre, subdued style to it though, which is often beautifully done. The stark and industrial landscape and the Heath Robinson contraption you're pushing through it make for a striking little journey.  There's no real point to it; it doesn't tell or even imply a story particularly. You spend a lot of the game with the Zoom In button held down just so you can see what you're doing, and it comes to an unusual and abrupt ending which doesn't tie up or justify anything you did before. A lot of the game is spent just watching the world roll by and stopping to pick up boxes and oil drums to throw into the reactor. I'm pleased i played it, although I'm not sure I'll ever play it again.  It's not really one to score, it's more of an experience than a game, but if I was pushed I would give it an 8 or a 9 just for bring brave and different. Brilliant, and much more straightforward than its still good but overcomplicated sequel.

Edited by OpenC

• 2 weeks later...

Still playing through some classic SNES titles on switch online, latest one was Kirby super star. Thoroughly enjoyed this, the Great cave offensive and return of meta night mini games were the pick of the bunch. Only attempted the arena a couple times, boss rush isn’t my kind of thing. One of the best Kirby games. 8 out of 10.

Edited by black_n_white