Last game you completed + rating

Yorkie

A Plague Tale: Innocence - really enjoyed this game. Cared about the 2 main characters, the story was decent. Thought it was paced well. Nearly destroyed my PS5 when doing the last boss (it was fucking hard). 8/10.

Stray. Decided to bite the bullet and go for Playstation Plus - 7 day trial to begin with and this was a game I was wanting to get anyway, so thought it'd be ideal to start with. Pretty short, put about 5 hours into it (though didn't get all the extras and secrets). Really enjoyed, fun gameplay, controls really well, cracking setting and atmosphere. Cats are class :aww: 8/10

Yakuza: Like A Dragon

It's one of the best games I've ever played.

Classic stripped down JRPG mechanics in a recent history setting, super serious main story about the nature of legitimate and illegitimate power but competely irreverent in most other regards. I feel like a lot of people will (probably rightly) disapprove of some of the stereotyping on display here but I have to be honest, it just reminded me of a simpler time when games didn't worry too much about that sort of thing.

Fairly easygoing and it never pushes too hard in general but some of the bosses are rough and it's not a complete cakewalk; there are bits where it builds the classic RPG stress of not letting you save after a hard boss battle but I don't think it ever killed me in that scenario unlike other JRPGs I could mention, so I think it's more perceived pressure than actual. The combat is just classic turn based exploiting weaknesses but it's fast paced and well done and I have no complaints. 

I've got a couple of mechanic niggles. It's sometimes hard to target the right person, which isn't an issue when it's an ally since it's turn based and won't push you to act quickly but it can be a nuisance when you're trying to hit a downed enemy before he gets up or pick a good centre for an AoE attack. It does that thing in the open world where you have to be stood in exactly the right place for the action prompt to appear, which is a pet hate of mine. And while the story was generally engaging enough and well done, the baby plot twist was a bit much. The upgrade system felt like a bit of an afterthought but you don't really need to worry about it.

My last complaint is that your character Ichiban is a brilliant protagonist and really well developed but without exploring his jobs, in combat he can be a bit middling. I spent a lot of the game using him as the guy that dishes out the ether to keep the party MP high and while I recognise that a character like that is vital, I'm not sure the main character should be that guy. There are bigger hitters, better elemental attackers and better healers in the party and Ichi ended up being the lad with a suitcase full of MP boosts a bit too often.

Generally though: looks great, sounds great, story is classic gangster fare, mostly an engaging and well fleshed out cast (the only character I wasn't sure was necessary to have in the party was the Chinese dude although he was handy in a fight) with a refreshingly adult perspective on things, though toward the end it was hammering the morality pretty hard.

I loved it, and I didn't even play the minigames. Easy 9.

Edited by OpenC

Aye, I just left him as hero which never got very strong except against people weak to being whacked with a bat. Was thinking that as I posted but I left the Chinese and Korean mafia lads as their base jobs as well and they were both way stronger than Ichiban in no time (although they took way more damage too). I feel like by default he was just a little bit bland and only there to be kept alive sometimes.

Does not detract from what's easily the best new RPG I've played since Lost Odyssey though.

Edited by OpenC