Last game you completed + rating

Yorkie

Yakuza Kiwami - Aye, decent. I thought I'd hate the real time fighting compared to the turn based style of Like a Dragon. Turns out it was clunky but still enjoyable.

Didn't care for all the baddies suddenly having firearms towards the end of the game when I thought it was agreed the game was a hand to hand combat affair. Made some of the climactic battles a little naff.

Like a Dragon still seems like the best entry point to the series for me, but Yakuza Kiwami has all the same vibes. Humour was a bit different, and it somehow had more melodrama but it's canny enough if you like the series.

I enjoyed Kiwami 2 a lot more than the first, I think that’s down largely to it having an amazing antagonist for Kiryu.

With regards to the fighting mechanics, I actually think the detective spin-off series Judgment feels much smoother in combat. You have a skillset that allows for greater agility and crowd control moves. 

Edited by TheInfiniteOdyssey

I can't get away with Judgement's fighting at all, don't know what it is about it. Really liked Yakuza 0 and 6, but when I played Kiwami it really started feeling its age.  Agree about the introduction of guns late game though, that was also a thing in 0 and it nearly tipped me over the edge just being constantly downed by gunfire :anguish:

Going back to them soon though, they're brilliant games :)

Edited by OpenC

• 3 weeks later...

Sonic Frontiers. I can't recommend this game, but it's really fun.

Tone is all over the place, art direction is a weird mix up of 90s cartoon mascot and unreal engine tech demo, loads of half baked ideas cribbed from more well realised Nintendo games.

And yet, the gameplay loop is fun. Movement is great, sense of speed is good and timed platforming is satisfying. And both music styles have some nice relaxing tunes and some bangers.

Again, without a love for platformers or nostalgia for mascot games, I csnt recommend this. But, it's what a games supposed to be, which is fun.