Last game you completed + rating

Yorkie

100% completed Mario Odyssey yesterday. All clothing, 900 moons, all captures, all purple coins, all shop items and all music. The very last post-credits level (The Darker Side) is up there with the hardest bits of gaming I've played in years. 15 minutes of precision platforming with no checkpoints and insta-deaths gallore. Massive difficulty spike compared to the rest of the game, but really satisfying to beat at the 600th attempt :lol: masterpiece of a game.

Guest firetotheworks

100% completed Mario Odyssey yesterday. All clothing, 900 moons, all captures, all purple coins, all shop items and all music. The very last post-credits level (The Darker Side) is up there with the hardest bits of gaming I've played in years. 15 minutes of precision platforming with no checkpoints and insta-deaths gallore. Massive difficulty spike compared to the rest of the game, but really satisfying to beat at the 600th attempt [emoji38] masterpiece of a game.

Wew, there are 900 moons. I stopped for a break when I got to 500, thinking the difficulty was going to get too much. The last bit of The Darker Side sounds mental as well. I thought I was near the end of that the other day. The five bosses on the dark side have been the most challenging part of the game so far. I still haven't fully got the jumping stuff down either, I find the whole diving onto the the cap bit really awkward, considering you throw by holding Y but then use Y as part of the dive, it feels really hard.

• 2 weeks later...

Shadow of the Colossus.  Starting to feel more awkward to play than gamers who started with PS3s or later would maybe be prepared to put up with, but still an awesome experience and unlike anything else.  My rating is: pretty fucking good.  Looks incredible, although the player character model is a bit cartoony and lifeless.

Shadow of the Colossus.  Starting to feel more awkward to play than gamers who started with PS3s or later would maybe be prepared to put up with, but still an awesome experience and unlike anything else.  My rating is: pretty f***ing good.  Looks incredible, although the player character model is a bit cartoony and lifeless.

I never played the original so looking forward to picking this up. Looks fantastic.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided - 7.5 - good but nowhere near as good as Human Revolution, and strangely easy on the standard difficulty, even without taking advantage of most of the new abilities.

This deserves another 0.5 if you include the DLC. I think it's the 'sandbox' of Prague I don't really enjoy about the main game, and the DLC missions are much more of what I wanted without needing to wander round looking for people to give me irrelevant shit to do.

Prague is small but it still suffers from the problem I usually get with open world games which is the fear of missing out on significant sections of the game because I happened not to read the right document, or talk to the right NPC, so I end up tediously walking round checking which characters have a name other than 'Civilian' and therefore may have some content hidden behind them. I can get away with it more in bigger games, Skyrim for instance, because I can't be arsed dotting every i anyway. With this game, when I got to doing the storyline missions that warn you any missed side-quests will no longer be available, I end up having to check a guide to find out which particular non-descript electronic billboard I failed to walk past that triggered a substantial mission.

I don't replay games generally because I've got too many to play, I want to complete the game and not miss out on anything in the meantime so I find this kind of structure increasingly irritating.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest firetotheworks

Mario Odyssey - 8/10

Almost certainly a personal thing for me, because although it's a great game with some fantastic sections and a full tool-set of moves to pull off and puzzles to solve, in the end it was only really the challenge sections, the sections that were specifically designed to test your platforming skills, or your use of a new mechanic, that I really enjoyed, they were absolutely fantastic. I still got a lot out of the 2D sections, turning into enemies, and levels like Bowser's Kingdom, Metro Kingdom, and Luncheon Kingdom, but there was just something missing for me in that the game flow was still stuttered and I felt like I wanted a more immediate experience that you get in the challenge sections. In the end it was The Dark Side and its more Mario 64 style instant access to challenges that I probably enjoyed the most. In contrast, The Cloud Kingdom and Ruined Kingdom are just filler, and imo The Wooded Kingdom is just flat out bad - a disjointed, overly complicated mess that all looks too similar to make head nor tail of where everything is, and heavily relies on you transporting to other sections - the music in that level is also awful and repetitive, I had a real dislike for that level. :lol:

In all honesty this is probably more a personal criticism of this sandbox style of 3D platformer in general, because Odyssey is certainly the best one I've played. It certainly has more to do, more to discover, more to work out and so on, and none of it in the proper levels is really filler aside from the lazy moons that are in there. The main meat of the game does these things at a very high level and gives you a huge challenge. Basically, a game based around the final challenge section in The Darker Side, with all of the wider innovations in the game thrown into that situation would have been perfect for me. So yeah, it's definitely a personal thing. It's still a great game despite the tone of this rambling review and I still got plenty out of it, but personally I don't think it's the groundbreaking masterpiece that everyone seems to think it is - that award still goes to Mario 64 for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Kingdom Hearts - 9/10

Got the 1.5+2.5 collection because I've never played 2, fully expecting to play 1 for the first time in 15 years, find it really clunky and struggle to finish it as I did when I went back to the FFX collection. That didn't happen, KH1 is still fucking class.

Started Re:Chain of Memories now but the card-based gameplay makes little to no sense so far.

Assassin's Creed: Origins -- 8.

Once I got to grips with gameplay I loved it.

Really pissy complaint:  read a note on a table at a bandit lair that read "loose" instead of "lose".  :rant:

Kingdom Come: Deliverance - 8/10

Rather liked this game, from start to finish. Fortunately I did't run into any game breaking bugs like many others have.

Though the quest to get Brian Blessed was a bit of a scrape. Every time I tried to talk to the guard guarding him the game froze. Good thing sneaking was an alternative.

Monster Hunter World.

Even though it doesn't ever really finish, I've put over 150 hours into it and have reached the meaty end-game grind. It's a really satisfying, deep, co-op heavy game. I played through most of it with a mate, as well as jumping into random SOS quests (think summons from Soulsborne). It's one of the most fun co-op experiences I've had on modern consoles, up there with raiding in Destiny 1. It definitely requires a lot of grinding, but I didn't really mind that, as the rewards for doing so were always clearly identified and worth your time. At the highest levels of the end-game, it can get a bit reliant on RNG being in your favour to get gems (which are used to enhance your gear and further customise your weapon skills etc.), but even then, there are ways and means to offset that potential problem. Bearing that in mind, I can see this game not being for some people. But, if you like co-op and enjoy the gameplay loop of "kill monsters -> make better gear -> kill bigger monsters -> repeat", it's a really, really good game. :lol:

9/10

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Shining Force 8/10 Sega Mega Drive

Nice and pretty simple strategy RPG that was very relaxing to play with no permadeath and balanced difficulty. Grinding is possible if you get stuck. The biggest negative was the ridiculously clunky item management (thankfully it's been fixed on the sequels) and repetitive music but in the end I really enjoyed the 20 hour campaign.

Panzer Dragoon Zwei 8/10 Sega Saturn

Gave up on the first game as it was just too hard. This was a lot easier and basically everything but the music has been improved. Different paths add replayability which is nice as my play-through took roughly two hours. Have huge nostalgia for this series despite never playing these before  as I remember 10 year old me drooling the reviews of these on a game show on TV. :lol:

• 1 month later...

Shadow Warrior 2013 - 7/10

This game would have fared better from being shorter in my opinion as it was dragging longer than it should. Resulting in it being a bit repetitive.

The gameplay was fun though. Lots of ways to kill your enemies with sword techniques, ki (magic) and guns.

The writing was very corny in an 80's action movie kind of way.

• 3 weeks later...

Contrast

Liked the concept in this 3D to 2D jump puzzle hybrid.

You play as Dawn, an imaginary friend of a little girl who can switch between the real world and being a shadow who can make use of other shadows to reach her needed destinations.

The controls were a bit janky and imprecise a few times, which only made the puzzles a bit frustrating since it would make some puzzles harder than they needed to be.

The idea behind the story was more interesting than the story itself. Where it would have been a very typical plot if it wasn't for the game's concept.

The game is short too, took me 4 hours to finish, but I think it is to its favour.

7/10

• 3 weeks later...
Guest firetotheworks

Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze.

As mentioned in the I'm Currently Playing thread, I think it's a solid platformer with a lot of level design and gameplay mechanics that are original, but in practice barely registered with me as anything to really notice, let alone anything to write home about. It felt like a continuation of the DK SNES series to me, which is absolutely fine by me as someone who loved those games, but it comes warts and all with cumbersome controls, repetitive gameplay, and the lauded originality and innovation on display isn't executed in a way that really improves the experience. With the controls in particular I think assigning the roll and the ground pound to the same button is stupid, I think not being able to change your move mid cycle - e.g. stopping mid-roll - is stupid, and I think having a bounce animation for if you roll or spin into a wall is stupid. I know the counter-argument to that could be that you have to adjust, that it's a clumsy ape, and that it's part of the challenge, but as much as it’s probably just me, I don’t enjoy losing through controls that feel archaic. It’s fine when it happens in the SNES games because they have the excuse of not being released in 2018.

Overall, it’s still a solid platformer with lovely visuals and a few reminders of Rayman Legends, which for me remains the best 2D platformer I’ve ever played.

6.5/10

Don't particularly understand why anyone can criticise it for repetitive gameplay. It's one of the least repetitive platformers I've played, there's literally nothing which is repetitive about it.

Old SNES platformers are way more repetitive as is the new Rayman game. Also if it's level design is nothing to write home about I struggle to think of a 2D platformer which does then.

I can understand not liking how it controls even if it never bothered me and I definitely never felt I failed due to said controls but criticising it's level design and gameplay repetition is something I can't fathom.

Everyone has their own opinions though I suppose.

Guest firetotheworks

Don't particularly understand why anyone can criticise it for repetitive gameplay. It's one of the least repetitive platformers I've played, there's literally nothing which is repetitive about it.

Old SNES platformers are way more repetitive as is the new Rayman game. Also if it's level design is nothing to write home about I struggle to think of a 2D platformer which does then.

I can understand not liking how it controls even if it never bothered me and I definitely never felt I failed due to said controls but criticising it's level design and gameplay repetition is something I can't fathom.

Everyone has their own opinions though I suppose.

For me it’s just a new DK SNES game, which would be great in 1998 or whatever, but isn’t that big a deal 20 years later. There’s nothing really additional in there that I thought was all that great or fun or a real huge progression from those games. I get the whole multiple mechanics thing – throw water on fire>swing on a rope>throw water on a rope that’s on fire>swing on rope for example– but the outcome of that didn’t hit home for me in terms of it actually being fun or flowing nicely.

As for repetition - The bonus rooms? The cart levels? The rocket levels? The same recycled picture piece hiding places? I wouldn’t mind if it was the repetition of things that are fun – e.g. the music and chase sequences in Rayman Legends, or the bash jumping sections in Ori, but they weren’t. I’m not trying to convince you otherwise because obviously you love the game and I know I’m in the minority on this one, but the lauding of it is bizarre to me and I think there’s plenty in there to at least understand why I’d see it as the same old, same old - the jumping, throwing, rolling, swinging, climbing, swimming, hovering is all just from previous SNES DK games and not really reimagined or improved upon in any new and interesting ways.

I dunno, just having played Rayman Legends, Ori, and even Unravel within the last 5 years, Tropical Freeze just felt like a step backwards from those games into old hat platforming, and all of the things that it’s lauded for didn’t really seem like that big of a deal at all. 

Nah I'm not trying to convince you otherwise either, I'll be honest I didn't try many of the bonus rooms and even most of the barrel levels I found mostly unique even they still involved barrels :lol:

I thought the level design was absolutely fantastic though, not so much the mechanics themselves but how each level would usually go through multiple points each having different things it demands of you and obviously that evolves through the levels.

Most platformers including Mario I didn't get that experience.

In terms of why it's praised, this video explains it better than I ever could tbh

Plus obviously the music and visuals are fantastic, I have no issue with your opinion tbh. I was trying to understand it really, this isn't like Witcher 3 where I can fully see why some may not like it. :lol:

Guest firetotheworks

Yeah, I'm a huge fan of Mark Brown and that video, along with the glowing reviews on here, was part of the reason I ended up buying it. I totally get how it's different, it just didn't feel different in practice. I wasn't going through the varying mechanics and combination of mechanics and thinking that it felt like anything new or groundbreaking, or even fun tbh. It just didn't hit home with me, which is a shame.

It's probably an inflammatory comment like, but I don't think it's even in the same league as Rayman Legends.