Jacob Murphy

Guest palnese

Milner was asked to replace Robert and Solano, was always going to be a failure. I can't really remember anything about his years with us which probably tells something.

He had some nice moments with us from my memory, scored a rocket against Man Utd, put in an absolute peach for Albert Luque to score against Palermo (it was also Tim Krul and Andy Carroll's debut that night) and i remember he ran the full length of the pitch and back in the 119th minute in a cup tie against Sheffield Wednsday if i am not mistaken, he was decent.

Yeah, failure is probably too strong word.

Milner is a good gauge of where we are now. He was frustrating back then because he was below the quality we'd come to expect, however that same raw player would be one of the first on our current team sheet.

Improved with age i think and if everything had turned out right (wasnt going to ref Keegan)  he would have been great for us imho

Milner got a lot of flak because managers like Souness didn't want to blame his big name stars like Owen or Butt for the shit football we were producing. As soon as he moved to Villa he looked twice the player because he had players with pace in front of him.

i think Milner got so much heat because he couldn't take a man on and would cut in on his right when playing on the left. Something like that. If only we had a better midfield then. It was Butt, Barton, Geremi and Parker. Because Milner and NZogbia on the could have worked really well.

Milner was much better for us than Murphy has been (and will ever be). I just don't see anything in him that makes me think he may come good. He's not that intelligent and has no bottle.

This post was brought to you by the PFM society.

I still think Murphy is going to be a good player, quite happy to see him in the side for now. He's still very raw but a run of games might see him come good.

Dunno about how good he will be, but I'm happy for him to force Kenedy to earn his spot back in the team. Murphy looked okay in the first half against Arsenal, in an ultimately ineffectual way.

milner's benefitted from some great coaching since he left us.

He certainly has. Keegan was just beginning to get the best out of him as well I recall until Ashley sold him to pave the way for Sebastian Schweinsteigers arrival.

I remember Keegan playing him in central midfield in that pre season too.

milner's benefitted from some great coaching since he left us.

He certainly has. Keegan was just beginning to get the best out of him as well I recall until Ashley sold him to pave the way for Sebastian Schweinsteigers arrival.

I remember Keegan playing him in central midfield in that pre season too.

You're right he did and he looked pretty good there as well.

Guest Howaythetoon

Milner because of his professionalism, fitness and decent football brain has adapted to become a very good player over the years without being anything outstanding.

While his early years on the wing left or right or in the centre the odd time and constantly used as a utility player while farmed around on loan and back again under lots of poor managers at struggling teams didn’t help his early development it probably has helped him become a better player towards the end of his career as he seems to play a really intelligent game on and off the ball.

KK rated him very highly and as we all know his sale was the final straw. He’s had a very good second half to his career and I don’t have any ill feelings towards him whatsoever.