Jacob Murphy

Guest palnese

I think people are a bit harsh on him and judge him for what he was like before his loan. He looks a lot more robust now, actually tries to make things happen and has won us points when he’s been used in attacking positions despite his limited game time (Wolves, WBA and Villa off the top of my head). He’s absolutely shite at rwb and it’s bizarre he was ever thrown in there when he can’t defend.

Given the system we play it makes far more sense actually playing him in that pressing position rather than Gayle or however the fuck he shoehorned Hendrick in the other week.

He deserves a run in the side until both Miggy and ASM can start.

I think people are a bit harsh on him and judge him for what he was like before his loan. He looks a lot more robust now, actually tries to make things happen and has won us points when he’s been used in attacking positions despite his limited game time (Wolves, WBA and Villa off the top of my head). He’s absolutely shite at rwb and it’s bizarre he was ever thrown in there when he can’t defend.

Given the system we play it makes far more sense actually playing him in that pressing position rather than Gayle or however the fuck he shoehorned Hendrick in the other week.

Actually I have usually stuck up for Murphy as much as I can, but at this stage of the season it's about which players have the balls to show up and win a game. Unfair to ask it from a lad like Murphy who seems to suffer confidence issues to begin with. I think he's much better coming off the bench.

Ironically I'm not usually a fan of Ritchie, but one thing he's not short of is character. He should be playing IMO, but Steve's precious ego would take a hit.

I think people are a bit harsh on him and judge him for what he was like before his loan. He looks a lot more robust now, actually tries to make things happen and has won us points when he’s been used in attacking positions despite his limited game time (Wolves, WBA and Villa off the top of my head). He’s absolutely s**** at rwb and it’s bizarre he was ever thrown in there when he can’t defend.

Given the system we play it makes far more sense actually playing him in that pressing position rather than Gayle or however the f*** he shoehorned Hendrick in the other week.

Actually I have usually stuck up for Murphy as much as I can, but at this stage of the season it's about which players have the balls to show up and win a game. Unfair to ask it from a lad like Murphy who seems to suffer confidence issues to begin with. I think he's much better coming off the bench.

Ironically I'm not usually a fan of Ritchie, but one thing he's not short of is character. He should be playing IMO, but Steve's precious ego would take a hit.

Any attacking midfielder like Murphy, Ritchie, Anderson would have been a better bet in this system than throwing Gayle out there in my opinion.

Two important contributions this season, there was that free kick to get us level and then the cross for Lascelles. We’d already be in the bottom 3 if it weren’t for him.

You could argue that he’s had as much impact where it counts as ASM.

Needs to start against Brighton

I think people are a bit harsh on him and judge him for what he was like before his loan. He looks a lot more robust now, actually tries to make things happen and has won us points when he’s been used in attacking positions despite his limited game time (Wolves, WBA and Villa off the top of my head). He’s absolutely s**** at rwb and it’s bizarre he was ever thrown in there when he can’t defend.

Given the system we play it makes far more sense actually playing him in that pressing position rather than Gayle or however the f*** he shoehorned Hendrick in the other week.

Any attacking midfielder like Murphy, Ritchie, Anderson would have been a better bet in this system than throwing Gayle out there in my opinion.

Still can’t get over Gayle on the wing, man. Fucking idiotic.

Two important contributions this season, there was that free kick to get us level and then the cross for Lascelles. We’d already be in the bottom 3 if it weren’t for him.

Cross for Gayle's winner against West Brom.

Cross for Gayle's winner against West Brom.

👍 that just reinforces the point. His end product is good when he gets a chance

• 4 weeks later...

He's been bright when coming on as a sub and seems like he's one of the only few if not the only one who can put a decent cross in. Was awful today like minus his goal but he's not a full back. I'd say he's worth a new deal.

Edited by HaydnNUFC

31 minutes ago, joeyt said:

Worth a new contract?

Not if we’re going to keep trying to turn him to a wing back. 

I think he’s good going forward - decent turn of pace and probably one of the better crossers of the ball at the club. I’d keep him around providing the dickhead in the dugout doesn’t expect him to spend most of the match defending.

1 hour ago, HaydnNUFC said:

He's been bright when coming on as a sub and seems like he's one of the only few if not the only one who can put a decent cross in. Was awful today like minus his goal but he's not a full back. I'd say he's worth a new deal.

I don’t think he was awful. He’s not a defender, but playing WB with an extra CB he can do a job and he had their best player to mark. Put in several good crossers this week and last week I thought and I’d say his crossing has been a bit under-appreciated tbh. Wouldn’t start him in a back four but plenty of wingers can play WB if they have enough pace and discipline that I think Murphy does. 

Don’t see him more than a good squad player, but worth a new deal. 

was eased off the ball a bit too easily in 1st half but took his goal well.

After he scored only ASM and Fernandez celebrated with him, everyone else seemed to just run back for the kickoff, just found that a bit strange..last week when joelinton scored nearly the whole team mobbed him in celebration

5 minutes ago, johnny36 said:

was eased off the ball a bit too easily in 1st half but took his goal well.

After he scored only ASM and Fernandez celebrated with him, everyone else seemed to just run back for the kickoff, just found that a bit strange..last week when joelinton scored nearly the whole team mobbed him in celebration

A friend of mine pointed out the same with ASM. Scores a great goal and potentially season saving goal and was celebrating alone. 

Don't think it's anything too concerning though. May just be trying to hold back like they were told to due to covid, or just concentrating on winning the game who knows.

He was bad today, goal aside, but he was being asked to do a job that he quite honestly has no business doing. I have no idea why he’s playing RB ahead of Manquillo.

I don’t think he’s ever going to be good enough to start in the Premier League for us, but he’ll be a good squad player for us. We ruined ours and his chances of getting better by not loaning him out when we bought him. He was far too raw to be put into our team at the time and needed regular football. His brother benefited by playing that year of football and was unlucky to not get a move away when Cardiff went down, which seems to have spoilt his progress as well.

I think we can all agree that he’s not a defender but unfortunately that’s the only way he can get in the side in its current state.

Should he get a new contract? Damn right he should. But that’s not a given that he will play.

Ideally we would have a stronger team that would give him the platform to perform better. His end product is excellent at times.

2 hours ago, alexf said:

A friend of mine pointed out the same with ASM. Scores a great goal and potentially season saving goal and was celebrating alone. 

Don't think it's anything too concerning though. May just be trying to hold back like they were told to due to covid, or just concentrating on winning the game who knows.

I noticed the lack of group celebration with ASM more than I did with Murphy. Would find it concerning if it wasn’t for the fact it was such a big game for us and there was a long way still to go. Actually might turn out to of been a good thing.

I like him, he's been one of the few bright spots recently. Definitely better as an impact sub against tired legs but he is getting quite adept at finding a way to the byline. He'll probably look better when he's got Wilson to pick out rather than Gayle/Joelinton. Obviously his progress is always going to be hindered by the "coaching" team but we have far bigger problems than him.