Jacob Murphy

Guest palnese

3 hours ago, Stifler said:

He was bad today, goal aside, but he was being asked to do a job that he quite honestly has no business doing. I have no idea why he’s playing RB ahead of Manquillo.

I don’t think he’s ever going to be good enough to start in the Premier League for us, but he’ll be a good squad player for us. We ruined ours and his chances of getting better by not loaning him out when we bought him. He was far too raw to be put into our team at the time and needed regular football. His brother benefited by playing that year of football and was unlucky to not get a move away when Cardiff went down, which seems to have spoilt his progress as well.

He wasn’t bad though and was RWB rather than RB, otherwise Manquillo would surely be ahead. Playing as a wing-back he has slightly fewer defensive responsibilities but more is expected going forward. He was our most threatening player that started going forward. Scored a great goal, bombed up the wing and put in a few dangerous crosses. He struggled with McNeill but he did have an extra defender behind him and McNeill is very good, so less of an issue imo. 

11 hours ago, Stifler said:

He was bad today, goal aside, but he was being asked to do a job that he quite honestly has no business doing. I have no idea why he’s playing RB ahead of Manquillo.

I don’t think he’s ever going to be good enough to start in the Premier League for us, but he’ll be a good squad player for us. We ruined ours and his chances of getting better by not loaning him out when we bought him. He was far too raw to be put into our team at the time and needed regular football. His brother benefited by playing that year of football and was unlucky to not get a move away when Cardiff went down, which seems to have spoilt his progress as well.

I think it's very unlikely that Manquillo would have got that goal.

Murphy's touch on the ball is dodgy and likewise his positioning in defence. He's still learning the game at that level, but he shows a lot of determination. Sometimes it actually feels like he's trying too hard. 

I think RWB is probably his best position.

19 hours ago, joeyt said:

Worth a new contract?

Yes. He's shown enough genuine glimpses of quality this season to show he can be a player. He's scored some good goals, is now delivering some very decent crosses, and he's always had a turn of pace. Yes he's still raw and has a lot of improvement to do, but I've seen enough to think he can be an asset. 

14 hours ago, TRon said:

Yes. He's shown enough genuine glimpses of quality this season to show he can be a player. He's scored some good goals, is now delivering some very decent crosses, and he's always had a turn of pace. Yes he's still raw and has a lot of improvement to do, but I've seen enough to think he can be an asset. 

Hopefully will come good by 35

On 12/04/2021 at 10:54, TRon said:

Raw? He's 26.

15 minutes ago, Beth said:

Raw? He's 26.

My bad, thought he was about 22. In any case, he does seem to be showing better quality this season, he's got a couple of goals and a few assists in limited appearances. He has been putting in some decent deliveries and shown he can crack a decent shot. 

He's not good enough in the wider scheme, but then very few players are, and that's not going to change until Ashley's gone.

On 12/04/2021 at 11:54, TRon said:

Even if he isn’t in the long term plans, still makes sense to give him a contract so we can get a fee for him

• 2 weeks later...

The fact that he is willing to carry the ball forward at pace is an asset to the team. He is pretty decent at taking on a full back and putting in a great cross at times which we severely lack on either side

• 2 weeks later...
Guest HTT II

He’s got more in his locker under a competent manager, as have most of our players. He’s one to build on. 

Edited by HTT II

Really coming into his own last few games, looked pretty assured coming out with the ball tonight. He's always looked like he's got the tools to be a really good player. Could he be the next James Milner?!