Jacob Murphy

Guest palnese

Guest HTT II
10 minutes ago, Kanji said:

Give him a new deal - he's a good player. Would be cool to see LWB of Willems and RWB of Murphy bombing forward. 

Again I rate him, ironically I think Bruce of all managers has revitalised his career and game here at the club and its showing. 

9 hours ago, HTT II said:

Again I rate him, ironically I think Bruce of all managers has revitalised his career and game here at the club and its showing. 

He is useful, likeable of course too. But you wouldn't find him playing for a team in the top half of the table. Higher upside than the likes of Gayle, Ritchie, Krafth, Shelvey and a few others we have but they are all the type of player synonymous with top half championship and bottom half premier league clubs. Will have some great moments bit sure, work hard but ultimately limited.

A true reflection of how far our club has fallen.

9 hours ago, Consortium of one said:

If Clark, Radgie, Gayle, as the over 30 group, get extensions why hasn't Murphy.  He clearly has shown a usefulness to the club as much as the others.

The other 3 would get nowhere near as good a club as us. Murphy might fancy a different challenge at this stage.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest HTT II
22 minutes ago, TRon said:

More than happy to see him sign on, he's shown he can be a good squad player if nothing else. He has some pace and can put in some decent crosses. 

Aye happy with that myself like.

3 hours ago, joeyt said:

Really happy for this to happen regardless of the result of a takeover. Deserves it and deserves credit for turning it round. So many have buckled and walked away.

I see he’s arrived in for pre season 2 1/2 weeks early to put the work in.

Such a good attitude this kid, never any bullshit away from football and in my opinion is making good on the potential now after a shaky start.

I think he’ll continue at right back and make himself one of the first names on the team sheet before he begins to start playing further up.

He knows he can do it here now.

Have to say I’m still not convinced. No brainier to give him a contract as would have been crazy seeing him walk for nothing. Rafa obviously saw potential to buy him (unless he was another 5th or 6th choice on the famous list), but was quick to see him loaned out after.working with him the first season. He certainly does some good things, some of his crosses have been top notch and couple of good goals. He’s 26 and I’ve just not seen any level of consistency over a prolonged period. Few glimpses here and there. With the new contract and if the takeover (and pointless theorising as we know most of the team would be upgraded within a year or two) does not get the green light, then with the alleged possible low transfer budget, it’s probably worth seeing for next year if he can develop to give a level of performance over a more consistent period. No takeover and he will be playing at the start of the season. If the progress is still not being displayed, then he can be moved on for a fee. By then though, if no takeover, I won’t really be paying much interest anymore.

Edited by et tu brute

57 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Yeah he filled in well but I’d be worried if he’s anything more than a squad player. Still prefer Manquillo.

not a big fan of him either, unfortunately I could say the same for quite a few of the squad. It’s what we are though with Ashley 

11 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

not a big fan of him either, unfortunately I could say the same for quite a few of the squad. It’s what we are though with Ashley 

Giving out new contracts to players who aren't good enough to be regular starters isn't good news, and he's definitely in that group. Same with the new deal Ritchie got (despite his strong end to the season) and the rumours of Carroll getting another year. Hardly fills you with hope for the summer recruitment if even the fringe players are staying. 

• 3 weeks later...