Javier Manquillo (now playing for Celta de Vigo)

Parsley

Guest neesy111

I'd be interested to look at the Ciaran Clark thread when we signed and compare and contrast. I'd imagine it'll make for similar viewing.

While true, I'm sure people were happy enough with Sels, Gamez and Lazaar who have turned out to be duds.  Not one made a contribution to us.

He might be shite but I'd hazard that Rafa and his scouts have weighed up the pros and cons of signing him. I'm sure there's been plenty of phone calls to Spain and Liverpool about him.

If it's one more position, that Rafa wants covered, ticked off the list then halle-fucking-lujah.

He's a young defender that had a bad time at a laughably incompetent football club, I won't hold it against him too much given his record in Spain's youth system. Some people that know what they're doing obviously think he has talent.

I'd be interested to look at the Ciaran Clark thread when we signed and compare and contrast. I'd imagine it'll make for similar viewing.

While true, I'm sure people were happy enough with Sels, Gamez and Lazaar who have turned out to be duds.  Not one made a contribution to us.

It's about the bigger picture. So long as they are Rafa's dude, I dont mind. Every manager has hits and misses.

He's a young defender that had a bad time at a laughably incompetent football club, I won't hold it against him too much given his record in Spain's youth system. Some people that know what they're doing obviously think he has talent.

Hopefully this is it. If you've witnessed how much Dummett has improved under Rafa then this guy will probably be starting for Spain in a couple of years :lol:

Basically filling the squad with poor to average or unproven players. Quite concerning looking at the squad ahead of the new season in just over 3 weeks. Like some have said, they may work out, but as things stands I think we are definitely looking at a relegation battle to some extent.

Hopefully this is it. If you've witnessed how much Dummett has improved under Rafa then this guy will probably be starting for Spain in a couple of years :lol:

He's been rubbish at every club he has been at, not just Sunderland.

During Rafa's entire career he's made these weird shite signings, like. Luckily they usually end up having a bit of foresight to the decision to sign them and contribute to competent teams/squads. That or they never really play and just fill a squad place.

We could really do with a couple of big, quality signings though. It's getting worrying that we'll have a big squad with little actual quality.

Basically filling the squad with poor to average or unproven players. Quite concerning looking at the squad ahead of the new season in just over 3 weeks. Like some have said, they may work out, but as things stands I think we are definitely looking at a relegation battle to some extent.

Unproven is very different to poor though.

Yeah, still a massive risk for us given our poor our squad is and considering we have just come up. Obviously they could turn out to be great, I just think in our position we needed proven players.

Yeah, still a massive risk for us given our poor our squad is and considering we have just come up. Obviously they could turn out to be great, I just think in our position we needed proven players.

I agree we could do with a couple. I do think we have enough quality to have a decent season, but I'd feel a lot more comfortable if the next two signings are biggies.

Guest neesy111

During Rafa's entire career he's made these weird shite signings, like. Luckily they usually end up having a bit of foresight to the decision to sign them and contribute to competent teams/squads. That or they never really play and just fill a squad place.

We could really do with a couple of big, quality signings though. It's getting worrying that we'll have a big squad with little actual quality.

He does have a high turnover of players at most of his clubs, I'm guessing this is something not liked by Ashley etc, means more work for them to do.

He played a handful of games during the season Madrid won the league didn't he? He also played a fair amount of games for Liverpool. Any player would struggle playing at the back for Sunderland. I am happy enough with this signing.

He played a handful of games during the season Madrid won the league didn't he? He also played a fair amount of games for Liverpool. Any player would struggle playing at the back for Sunderland. I am happy enough with this signing.

A very limited amount and then he broke his back.