Mikel Merino

Disco

He's a good player. Would upgrade our summer from underwhelming to solid if this happens. Vast upgrade over Colback.

He started two games, out of position, last season. Suggest we'd need a few more stages between underwhelming and solid.

He's a good player. Would upgrade our summer from underwhelming to solid if this happens. Vast upgrade over Colback.

He started two games, out of position, last season. Suggest we'd need a few more stages between underwhelming and solid.

Having caught sight of him during his year at Osasuna and followed the story of his transfer to BVB, I'm confident that he's a talented player and means an area of weakness - central midfield - is addressed, therefore leaving us a striker short of what I consider the bare minimum. It's just my opinion but I think there's a player in there and a first choice rotation of Shelvey, Hayden and Merino would have a lot of promise.

:lol: Douglas now tweeting it sounds like its close and that he's been a long-term target.

Buggers had no clue until about half an hour ago.

We've always been at war with Eastasia

:lol:

Having caught sight of him during his year at Osasuna and followed the story of his transfer to BVB, I'm confident that he's a talented player and means an area of weakness - central midfield - is addressed, therefore leaving us a striker short of what I consider the bare minimum. It's just my opinion but I think there's a player in there and a first choice rotation of Shelvey, Hayden and Merino would have a lot of promise.

:thup: reassuring to hear.

Shelvey

Hayden

Colback

Diame

Merino

Still think we need another midfielder even if he signs, mind.

I know Ryder shot it down but it would be nice if we can get the Greek lad in as well.

Would solidify the midfield and then Rafa can focus at sorting out a AM and striker.

FWIW Ryder seemed to suggest a bit further on that we are in talks for Samaris, just that an official bid hasn't been lodged yet:

Shelvey

Hayden

Colback

Diame

Merino

Still think we need another midfielder even if he signs, mind.

I know Ryder shot it down but it would be nice if we can get the Greek lad in as well.

Would solidify the midfield and then Rafa can focus at sorting out a AM and striker.

FWIW Ryder seemed to suggest a bit further on that we are in talks for Samaris, just that an official bid hasn't been lodged yet:

:thup: Would be class if we got Samaris and got rid of Colback.

Merino, Diame, Hayden, Shelvey and Samaris would be decent group of CMs on paper.

Ok, 35 appearances (6 goals) for Osasuna 2015/16 (29 apps 1 goal 2014/15). Both in second division. Seemingly unsuccessful transfer to Bundesliga (8 apps, only 2 starts at CB). Still not feeling it. Go get Samaris, you thumbheeded knobjockey.

Ok, 35 appearances (6 goals) for Osasuna 2015/16 (29 apps 1 goal 2014/15). Both in second division. Seemingly unsuccessful transfer to Bundesliga (8 apps, only starts at CB). Still not feeling it. Go get Samaris, you thumbheeded knobjockey.

I mean Samaris didn't play much himself this past season. Seems a bit silly to judge a player on stats without actually watching him.

Benitez really does like to have left footers playing on the left side it seems. This guy is left footed, which is hugely encouraging in regards to the end of Colback.

Fair point. But I'd be more enthusiastic if we were taking a player away from a Bundesliga first team (that they'd miss/have to replace) rather than one surplus to requirements/being offloaded. Doesn't mean he's s***. But if he has only been a starter in Segunda Division (not as strong as Championship) he kind of might be/less evidence he has what it takes for PL.

Guest firetotheworks

I have to say, I'm a lot more excited about this transfer than any of the others. Not gonna pretend to know anything about him or anything, but I like the look of him a lot.