Mikel Merino

Disco

You can tell he has quality, his touch & passing ability. He was a bit slow on the ball at times & needs to speed up mentally to match the league.

Was probably our best player & really he did OK for this standard. Says more about how bad the rest of the players were tbh.

I liked Merino today although he did have a few dodgy moments. There is no ability playing in front of him though, not a lot he can do about that.

100% agree

👍🏻 Agree with this

Guest Bordertoon

All things considered, one of the few things that I feel optimistic about from today's match.

For a young player, in a new league, in a new country, and surrounded by mediocrity (especially in front of him), I thought that he did quite well today, although he did gift them possession on several occasions - the slip that led to their (thankfully wasted) 3 on 2 could have been particularly costly - and I admit he was rather statuesque on the one-two that led to their goal.

Once he adjusts to the speed of the EPL, and to his teammates, I think he'll prove to be an excellent addition to the squad.

I liked Merino today although he did have a few dodgy moments. There is no ability playing in front of him though, not a lot he can do about that.

100% agree

Get someone to play just off Joselu and I think we'd get some joy out of quick passes into Joselu to lay off for a good number 10.

Disagreed with Souness on the bottling it like. Looked to me he was just bracing himself for the shot and was done by the dummy.

You can't be a PL CM and get done like that.

Compare that to the Chelsea CM's today.  So much faster, braver and alert in similar situations. It were pathetic.

Comparing our new signing to the best midfielder in the league. Brilliant.

Disagreed with Souness on the bottling it like. Looked to me he was just bracing himself for the shot and was done by the dummy.

You can't be a PL CM and get done like that.

Compare that to the Chelsea CM's today.  So much faster, braver and alert in similar situations. It were pathetic.

Comparing our new signing to the best midfielder in the league. Brilliant.

In his first start in a new country, having joined well after preseason started. Plenty of Premier League midfielders will get done like that this season also.

Only bringing Chelsea up because they where campef on the edge of their box for large periods of the game. Similar sitautioms happened time and again.

I would expect more from Colback or Anita in that situation.  Really bad, inexperienced play.  That wasn't a winger or a CB. It was Merino's opposite man an he left him for dead with a basic one-two on the edge of the box.  The type of play I fear from Shelvey.  If we are to stay up we can't slack on such basic play.

The lad is talented but that wasn't good enough and it proved fateful. 

Liked him breaking up play otherwise though. 

Only bringing Chelsea up because they where campef on the edge of their box for large periods of the game. Similar sitautioms happened time and again.

I would expect more from Colback or Anita in that situation.  Really bad, inexperienced play.  That wasn't a winger or a CB. It was Merino's opposite man an he left him for dead with a basic one-two on the edge of the box.  The type of play I fear from Shelvey.  If we are to stay up we can't slack on such basic play.

The lad is talented but that wasn't good enough and it proved fateful. 

Liked him breaking up play otherwise though.

I agree with this except I don't think I would expect more from Colback or Anita.

Think Merino will learn pretty fast tbh, he seems to have the talent and intelligence to along with the right attitude.

He was poor for the goal and gave the ball away a few times but I thought he looked promising for a 21 year old playing in his first start in the Premier League and only his 3rd start in a top division.

Our two central midfielders of 21 and 22 years old have started 3 top flight games between them before today. I know Huddersfield don't have much top league experience but we still don't have much experience and quality there which is a worry