Mikel Merino

Disco

Guest firetotheworks

Interesting to not see many people wanting Rafa to try him at 10 behind Perez.

I've stopped thinking of football in this way since Rafa's come in tbh. I now understand that he's completely unsuited to that role.

I sincerely think that something is wrong with this lad behind the scenes, he hasn´t even made the bench in the last half of the season. We all know he is a classy player, still young and prone to mistakes, but the quality is there, I can´t help wondering why he isn´t good enough even for the bench given that hayden seems to have regressed and we don´t have other midfield options apart from diame and shelvey.

Bilbao are very keen on renewing their midfield, it was one of their really low points this past season, all of their central midfielders were well below par. They have a lot of money to spend so 15M  € would´nt scare them and it is possible Merino´s head has been turned (see first paragraph?).

I would really like to see this lad progress as he is potentially a great player in the making, and I can´t see us getting anything similar for the money we might get from Bilbao...

There has been quiet noise about him leaving for a good few months now through various internet sources and i’m sure i’ve heard the presenter on Totalsport mention him leaving on 2 or 3 occasions so there could be some truth to it.  What i don’t understand though, is that he was only on loan here initially, so why did he sign permanently if he didn’t like it here?  It’s a weird situation.

FWIW i really hope he stays as i think he could be a top class performer in a couple of years.

Physically again he’s strong on the ball and with the ball, but stamina and fitness is an issue. He’s not exactly a free flowing mobile player not that he needs to be and his fitness and stamina will improve with experience of the league as will physicality. You hope anyway because it has to if he is to succeed in this league and for us.

Mentioning his passing is what makes me question his suitability. He’s more of a snappy, quick over a shorter range give and move type passer and for that you need mobile and interchangeable players moving around him and on his wavelength which we just don’t have.

It works with Shelvey at current because he’s playing a transitional game, not pass and move, he gets the ball, looks up and sets a player away. That’s our game, we sit deep, soack pressure, look to intercept and hit fast and and on the counter.

We even do a lot of that when we press high up although when we do that it’s often Perez or Kennedy who intercept and advance forward running with the ball or by playing quick forward passes into space and positions rather than Shelvey who is of course often deeper.

Merino is someone who needs to be on the ball, who can carry it, make more incise and intricate passes than say Shelvey and who is basically more involved. The way we play, starting him, he will be a passenger for periods and that’s a problem because he can’t do what Shelvey or Diame can who we can let be a passenger of sorts because all he needs to do is get the ball, look up and look for a counter from a front runner to effect the game/do his job. Diame can be a passenger because his game is to be well positioned to protect space and when he can, to go to his man to intercept/tackle and of course pick up loose balls. Doing his job basically.

That’s how I see how we play or try to at the moment anyway and how those 3 players fit in or in the case of Merino don’t quite. I’m hopeful Rafa bought him for the future though if you like as someone who can do a job in a more expansive, possession based style of play which he used at Valencia to great effect and had Liverpool playing at times which again I hope we move towards because he’s a classy player is Merino and one I enjoy watching. My type of player basically.

That is absolutely not true. Before his injury at least he was the one who put in the most effort in the whole team. Don't think there was a game where he wasn't topping the distance covered and he rightly got praise for his stamina and always making himself available, even towards the end of a match.

One thing is how we are set up now at the moment, so agree with you and hoping Rafa also has a plan for how we play when we get better players and aim to get up the league. Merino imo is a crucial part of that.

Not going anywhere by the look of this:

Merino out to build on first season as a Magpie

Newcastle United midfielder Mikel Merino has set his sights on becoming a key part of the Magpies side as he looks to build on his first season at the club.

The 21-year-old arrived at St. James’ Park from Borussia Dortmund in July 2017, initially penning a loan deal before making the move permanent in October.

Spanish under-21 international Merino made an immediate impact at United, but found his opportunities limited towards the end of the campaign due to the form of Jonjo Shelvey and Mohamed Diamé.

And he said he would be aiming to kick-off 2017/18 at “a high level” as he bids to make himself a fixture in the Newcastle line-up.

“I’ll try to improve myself, I’ll try to play more minutes, to be an important piece in the team and an important player,” he told nufc.co.uk. “I want to increase my offensive skills, try to make more goals, try to be more confident with ball and try to make my teammates play better.

“In the summer I will work on my less strong things, like using more of the right foot and things like that, and in the pre-season I’ll try to improve myself even more and start the season at a high level.”

In all, Merino made 25 appearances in 2017/18, scoring once – the winner against Crystal Palace in October – and he also featured for his country in their European Under-21 Championship qualifying campaign.

And he feels that while his first season in black and white has been something of a learning curve, the future could be bright for Rafa Benítez’s side.

“It has been a big season for me. It was my first season as a professional player in the highest division and, for me, I’ve learned a lot,” he said. “I’m happy because I’ve been in a really good group with really good players, learning in arguably the best league in the world, and I think I’ve got a lot more things to improve. But it’s been a very good first year for me.

“When you play against the best players in the world, at this level, where every single thing and every single mistake counts, you learn a lot. The pace, the tempo and the intensity is amazing, and with those minutes you play you learn a lot. I think it’s going to be a really good season next season, and in the future.”

Source: https://www.nufc.co.uk/news/latest-news/merino-out-to-build-on-first-season-as-a-magpie

• 2 weeks later...

Mikel Merino is the man who likes Roberto Olabe to reinforce the midfield of Real. The midfielder from Navarra was already in the crosshairs txuri urdin last season, when he changed Dortmund for Newcastle and this summer, after a season that has not been as important as he would have liked to the North of England, looks for a new change of scenery From the club txuri urdin have been in contact with the environment of the football player to be interested in their situation and to know if he would like to come to Donostia and under what conditions would agree to participate in the new project of Asier Garitano. The predisposition of the soccer player is not bad, he wants to go out, but he has other offers and in the race to take the pamplonica, the Real is not in the lead, but he has to come back through the summer, mainly against two clubs, Betis and Athletic. The process to get hold of the young midfielder is still in the preliminary phase for the entity that presides over Aperribay. The contacts, for now, do not go beyond a mere call to gather the basic information in order to undertake their hiring. There has not been any conversation at the moment with Newcastle, although in Anoeta, through the environment of the football player, they are aware that an entente with the magpies would always be above 12 million euros. The advantage that Betis has over Roberto Olaberadica's work team is basically that the Betic team has gone further and is in negotiations with the British. Few dates ago, Quique Setién and Lorenzo Serra Ferrer met in Madrid with the agents of Merino to agree on the conditions in which they would sign for the Betic squad and the tuning was good. Neither this stage nor that of speaking with Newcastle has still covered the Real. However, and although after finishing the league has not yet moved tab, it could be the Athletic who more road would have walked to sign the former Osasuna. The Ibaigane club was about to sign him in the winter market, but finally Rafa Benitez did not let the midfielder leave. But until the coach's refusal, the Atletico club had advanced the terms of the contract with Merino and the economic basis had been established with Newcastle. Therefore, it can be said that Athletic has practically all the work done and, if at a given moment it decided to reactivate the possibility of hiring Merino, its starting point would be perhaps the one that closer to the signing would be among the three suitors that has in the League the U-21 international. The player likes the Real Merino, on the other hand, does not see badly the possibility of going to the Real, but the interest of the Blue and Whites has yet to materialize. For now, he rests on vacation and it will be July 6 when he has to return to training with Newcastle. Whatever the outcome of this story, it would be complicated to give it before that date. The Anoeta club is in a position to reach a good port with this signing, but must take the initiative with respect to two teams that began to move before.

It's a pity how the only realistic transfers in the rumour mill are outgoings. Mitro, Mbemba, Merino - all seems entirely plausible that they'll go meanwhile there's next to nowt on the incomings side of things. Reckon Rafa's been told he needs to clear a load out before any incomings, a la last summer? Suppose it went well last time, we were nowhere near the drop come May.

It's a pity how the only realistic transfers in the rumour mill are outgoings. Mitro, Mbemba, Merino - all seems entirely plausible that they'll go meanwhile there's next to nowt on the incomings side of things. Reckon Rafa's been told he needs to clear a load out before any incomings, a la last summer? Suppose it went well last time, we were nowhere near the drop come May.

Preparing to offload players like we’ve already got a deep squad.

Wonder if he is the reason we're being linked so much with the Turkish lad.

Had same thought. Can’t see Rafa sanctioning the sale of players like Merino without a replacement lined-up. Can see him doing so if he thinks he can get comparable/better replacements, and perhaps generating funds to improve other positions (same re Mbemba and Skrtel rumours).

Wonder if he is the reason we're being linked so much with the Turkish lad.

Had same thought. Can’t see Rafa sanctioning the sale of players like Merino without a replacement lined-up. Can see him doing so if he thinks he can get comparable/better replacements, and perhaps generating funds to improve other positions (same re Mbemba and Skrtel rumours).

Yeah, you'd imagine it's a prerequisite from him in dealings this window. Replacement in before sale.

Hopefully Ashley dies from the shock when he finds out how much the extra few weeks wages are costing.

Not sure what happened to him. Went off the boil once the move was made permanent. Thought we'd stick with him and see him through so must be down to the player wantibg to leave.

Sad this but he must've not settled which I guess can happen. Big generalisation but the Spanish seem to be particularly bad for this, met loads over the years that constantly moan about how Spain is so much better than England and they hate it here. :lol:

Sad this but he must've not settled which I guess can happen. Big generalisation but the Spanish seem to be particularly bad for this, met loads over the years that constantly moan about how Spain is so much better than England and they hate it here. :lol:

In all fairness, if I could achieve a decent standard of living, I know where my arse would be sat

I'm half Spanish, half English and live in Canada. It's a different lifestyle completely that's all, no better, just different. I used to go to school for example from 1pm to 7pm. Mallorco where my family is from just didn't do mornings back then, things may have changed. Getting used to the weather is also a big issue, after 10 years over here I still hate winters in Canada and can't imagine retiring the full 12 months of the year here and having to shovel snow every other day in my 70's. English and Newcastle weather in particular are far removed from even northern Spain where Merino is from, it's a hard climate to get used too and can be pretty depressing to have so many days where the sun never shines.

Having said that, it's not been a problem from Rafa or Perez, who have adapted to life in England and the  North East easily. It's more about the individual than the country they come from, some people just struggle to adapt for various reasons.