Mikel Merino

Disco

Guest Bordertoon

I'm absolutely astounded that people are saying he was s***.

+1

As a young player in his first match for us, I was particularly impressed by the way in which he constantly wanted and presented for the ball, even when he made some conspicuous mistakes - there was no attempt from him to hide or offload responsibility to more established players.

Although the comparison at this early stage will obviously seem ridiculous, I can nonetheless see him as a long term Xavi Alonso work-in-progress for Rafa - a similar style of player imo.

I've no idea how anyone could think he was poor today?

Thought he did fine for his first PL game, he was one of the only players who wanted the ball. Broke up their attacks quite a few times and switched defence into attack.

Thought he did fine for his first PL game, he was one of the only players who wanted the ball. Broke up their attacks quite a few times and switched defence into attack.

Poor defensively, gifted a goal away, poor passing, lost possession too many times, slow at times to get the pass away resulting in him being tackled and created absolutely nothing. There is definitely an argument for him being poor today.

Don't think he can be blamed today, I mean the whole team looked weak asf. No runs, no movement, no nothing. The only thing Merino were doing was either short flank or to cb passes. If the options were there, maybe shit woulda gone different.

Poor defensively, gifted a goal away, poor passing, lost possession too many times, slow at times to get the pass away resulting in him being tackled and created absolutely nothing. There is definitely an argument for him being poor today.

No.

Guest alijmitchell

I thought he was literally the only decent player on the pitch for us. Even with him dropping a bollock or two. He was by far the best at recycling the ball, passing and holding off their fitness robots

I disagree, thought he was our best player today.

It was his debut, he's still young and got plenty of time to develop but I agree with this I will back him no doubt and hopefully he does really well.

But he was shocking today, god knows how people thought he was our best player.

He looked lost

Shocking, wow. God knows what you've made of the contributions of the likes of Colback over the years.

One thing is for certain IMO, he'll get better. Nerves were definitely a factor today and he strikes me as the type who'll learn a lot from Rafa's analysis of where he went wrong.

It was his debut, he's still young and got plenty of time to develop but I agree with this I will back him no doubt and hopefully he does really well.

He looked lost

Are you the type of fan who cheers shoulder barges and long clearances out the box? I.e. You like the tryers?

Just so I know what type of idiot I'm talking to... thanks.

You noticed all those things because he was on the ball a lot. In itself that's a good sign considering a lot of our midfielders of recent times have been noticeable only because you wonder if they're playing.

Guest neesy111

He made mistakes, but at least he tried to get us going.  Brilliant ball to manquilo 2nd half which should led to a goal.

He looked lost

Are you the type of fan who cheers shoulder barges and long clearances out the box? I.e. You like the tryers?

Just so I know what type of idiot I'm talking to... thanks.

:lol:

Guest Bordertoon

You noticed all those things because he was on the ball a lot. In itself that's a good sign considering a lot of our midfielders of recent times have been noticeable only because you wonder if they're playing.

100% agree with this - he presented continuously for the ball, even after he'd made some clear mistakes, which is impressive for a young debutant. IMO, on today's showing he's the least of our problems, and actually the source for considerable hope.

The phrase "this is why we can't have nice things" comes to mind.

Worrying that he might get stick for home games now.

Was about to argue against that but then remembered when I was going to home games it was staggering how many people around our seat seemed to get their information only from Sky and the red tops. I hear Souness slaughtered him today.

Guest neesy111

It's alright to criticise the forrin for the goal but nobody mentions  Hayden who was hiding in between the centre backs. Not one player came out to Mooy before he shot.

I wasn't impressed with Hayden at all, thought he was chasing too much today.

He was at fault for the goal and made some mistakes but on the whole I'd say there were a lot of positives to take forward from his performance today. He always wants the ball, has one hell of a first touch on him and has a very cultured left peg. Better movement ahead/either side of him would be ideal.