Mikel Merino

Disco

It's alright to criticise the forrin for the goal but nobody mentions  Hayden who was hiding in between the centre backs. Not one player came out to Mooy before he shot.

I wasn't impressed with Hayden at all, thought he was chasing too much today.

Did okay in the last 30mins of the first half I thought, can't remember him doing much at all second half apart from that shot over the top. I do like him but the pressure is really on this season for him to make an impact because steady away won't cut it when the stakes are so high.

The phrase "this is why we can't have nice things" comes to mind.

Worrying that he might get stick for home games now.

Was about to argue against that but then remembered when I was going to home games it was staggering how many people around our seat seemed to get their information only from Sky and the red tops. I hear Souness slaughtered him today.

Souness rightly slaughtered him. A crap manager but he's rarely wrong about central midfield defensive situations. 

The phrase "this is why we can't have nice things" comes to mind.

Worrying that he might get stick for home games now.

Was about to argue against that but then remembered when I was going to home games it was staggering how many people around our seat seemed to get their information only from Sky and the red tops. I hear Souness slaughtered him today.

Souness rightly slaughtered him. A crap manager but he's rarely wrong about central midfield defensive situations.

He has the talent but it was a yard behind play by the second half. He had holidays but very little pre season so was expecting that yard but booting balls in to players legs etc due to that and not knowing the team. He needs time. Souness called Shelvey but was shown to have been a dirtier player himself going by social media this week.

If he was 70% today he will be better in a couple of weeks so expect a big improvement then. His back to back is Hayden so expect better balance when Shelvey is back

I've no idea how anyone could think he was poor today?

Thought he did fine for his first PL game, he was one of the only players who wanted the ball. Broke up their attacks quite a few times and switched defence into attack.

Poor defensively, gifted a goal away, poor passing, lost possession too many times, slow at times to get the pass away resulting in him being tackled and created absolutely nothing. There is definitely an argument for him being poor today.

It was his debut, he's still young and got plenty of time to develop but I agree with this I will back him no doubt and hopefully he does really well.

But he was shocking today, god knows how people thought he was our best player.

He looked lost

Are you the type of fan who cheers shoulder barges and long clearances out the box? I.e. You like the tryers?

Just so I know what type of idiot I'm talking to... thanks.

:lol: :lol:

Irony, with your last sentence mind

I've no idea how anyone could think he was poor today?

Thought he did fine for his first PL game, he was one of the only players who wanted the ball. Broke up their attacks quite a few times and switched defence into attack.

Poor defensively, gifted a goal away, poor passing, lost possession too many times, slow at times to get the pass away resulting in him being tackled and created absolutely nothing. There is definitely an argument for him being poor today.

It was his debut, he's still young and got plenty of time to develop but I agree with this I will back him no doubt and hopefully he does really well.

But he was shocking today, god knows how people thought he was our best player.

He looked lost

Wut ? hopefuly Agnes Skinner smashes you overhead with a vase, you clearly need it.

So was it Manquillo at fault as he has been for all 3 goals, Merino's, or Hayden's for hiding between the centre-backs.

Or was it just a clever bit of play by someone who showed a moment of ingenuity and class?

Got to admit, aside from the one-two and shot seeming like what he was 'obviously' going to do (easy to say in hindsight), at the time I didn't think it was any one player's clear mistake. Bit harsh to point the finger directly at anyone in particular IMO. :dontknow:

So was it Manquillo at fault as he has been for all 3 goals, Merino's, or Hayden's for hiding between the centre-backs.

Or was it just a clever bit of play by someone who showed a moment of ingenuity and class?

Got to admit, aside from the one-two and shot seeming like what he was 'obviously' going to do (easy to say in hindsight), at the time I didn't think it was any one player's clear mistake. Bit harsh to point the finger directly at anyone in particular IMO. :dontknow:

Aye there were several things you could moan about with the goal, my biggest moan after Merino lost Mooy, was Clark turning his back with his eyes shut coming out to block the shot, utter shite from a CB.

Absolutely. Was a good goal

I just think Merino made it really easy for Mooy to run into the box and should have tried to block him or make him go round him or something so he didn't just have a free run to get into the box. Instead he just watched him.

Don't want to be too down on the lad because I thought there were more positives than negatives with him was just disappointed with him in that moment

Guest firetotheworks

He's only just turned 21 as well remember. It was something for him to learn from, the main attributes to his game still look very good. As far as thrown in the deep end debuts go, he did well and just needs to learn from his mistakes. He certainly seems to have the intelligence and attitude to do so as well.

He doesn't hide like the ginger wart, always showed for the ball, always wanting it, also noticed him telling Clark to get in postion so he was available for a pass, Clark was wandering back and Merino had a go at him.

The team was shite, he was less shite than the rest along with Mbemba. Very promising imo.

Guest reefatoon

The stick he is getting is unreal. Yes he was at fault for the goal, but to say his game was shit/shocking is fucking crazy. Some right demented fuckers on here like.

I just thought he was a mixed bag, tbh, barely worthy of much more analysis than that. He looks like he might have decent tekkers, likes to make a forward pass, doesn't look remotely physical. My issue is that he doesn't give us a single thing we don't already have; such is the state of our ridiculous operations over the summer.

I liked the way his play became better as the game wore on. Neat/tidy in possession, good close control, ability to play under pressure, and decent to good distribution. Need to see more, but he reminded me a little of a young Redondo (no comparison of course). Looks a classy player potentially if he can develop, although I've gotten used to NUFC as a club castigating/refusing to develop young central midfielders who show a bit of promise and opting to stick with grafters who we know are shit.

Which is why we desperately need to keep Rafa so we can have natural footballers (like Merino seems to be) signed and developed, and a team made out of them, instead of going with the status quo and opting for grafters because that's all we and a big chunk of our fanbase seemingly know/appreciate. On an ironic side note Rafa is the manager who signed Mascherano for Liverpool from West Ham, back when Pards had binned Mascherano to the reserves because he wasn't good enough (and Hayden Mullins was too good).

Good start. Messed up once, misplaced some passes. Then instead of crumbling and let the game pass him by he stepped up and played really well second half - intercepted balls, drove team forward, some lush passes.

Looking forward to see how he develops. Looks more like he could become our improved, more diciplined Shelvey.

It's obvious he reads the game really well. He's going to need some time to adjust to the league, but I think once that happens, he shakes off some rust, and settles his nerves he'll be a solid player for us.

Guest Howaythetoon

He looks like a footballer which is the main thing, the rest can come later. Mind he's no Colback like..