Mikel Merino

Disco

People slating him, Hayden and Manquillo but for me the main problems were the audit show in front of centre midfield. Perez, Gayle, Ritchie and Atsu offered absolutely fuck all when they got the ball.

We are desperate to get an attacking midfielder and need crosses from byline which means possibly Aarons starting

People slating him, Hayden and Manquillo but for me the main problems were the audit show in front of centre midfield. Perez, Gayle, Ritchie and Atsu offered absolutely fuck all when they got the ball.

We are desperate to get an attacking midfielder and need crosses from byline which means possibly Aarons starting

We badly lacked width. Every time he got the ball he looked for the wide ball but the option wasn't there very often. Will be interesting when we have Yedlin and hopefully get more balance and space down both wings.

I've no idea how anyone could think he was poor today?

Thought he did fine for his first PL game, he was one of the only players who wanted the ball. Broke up their attacks quite a few times and switched defence into attack.

Poor defensively, gifted a goal away, poor passing, lost possession too many times, slow at times to get the pass away resulting in him being tackled and created absolutely nothing. There is definitely an argument for him being poor today.

It was his debut, he's still young and got plenty of time to develop but I agree with this I will back him no doubt and hopefully he does really well.

But he was shocking today, god knows how people thought he was our best player.

He looked lost

Are you the type of fan who cheers shoulder barges and long clearances out the box? I.e. You like the tryers?

Just so I know what type of idiot I'm talking to... thanks.

:lol: :lol:

Irony, with your last sentence mind

Not gonna answer then?

Really encouraging for a 21 year old's debut.

A lot of posts here seem to underestimate the ability to constantly be in a space to receive/want the ball. He was our go-to player whenever we had possession and wasn't fazed at all when he had 2-3 Hudds players hustling him. That's really promising considering he's only trained with this squad for what 3-4 weeks? Once the understanding improves with our forward thinking players I'm certain he'll be playing intelligent forward passes too.

Fans calling him 's***' may as well give up with watching football. If you don't see that he's got huge potential and is worlds apart from Colback you'll never understand the game.

This.  Full credit to Rafa for getting this player.  It's his first competitive debut in his career in top tier football to be fair.  His time at Dortmund are limited to rubbish matches FYI. 

Fans calling him 's***' may as well give up with watching football. If you don't see that he's got huge potential and is worlds apart from Colback you'll never understand the game.

This. He'll be our most important player this season.

Early to say but from the little I've seen he's way more intelligent with and without the ball than any of our midfielders. Not a huge feat considering who he's up against but clear improvement anyways.

Surprised so few have mentioned (JP did above) that he was everywhere yesterday, Kanté style. Wherever the ball was, he was close. Didn't matter if it was in attack or in our own half. You could always see the number 23 shirt. He ran way more than anyone on the pitch, was up at 10.5 km with more then 10 min left of the game. In the last 10 min, when they kicked the ball away he was first one to get down to help Elliot and Clark to get back up again. Seconds later he was helping our attack. He did a few mistakes during the game, but you can clealry see we have a class player at hand if he continue to work the way he did yesterday.

Was encouraged by his performance, always wanted the ball, and never afraid to receive it in tight situations. The people slating him, need to understand he is a 21 year making his first full start in a new league, a league widely accepted to be the most physical and hard to compete in. It seems if a player doesn't instantly shine in their first appearance for us then they are shit, yet top-level Premier League players such as Vidic, Evra, Pires, to name a few off the top of my head took months and months to settle to the demands of the League.

He clearly has real potential, loved that he always wanted the ball, and was composed and calm when he had it, and it was good to see our players were happy to give him the ball in tight spots and had trust in him. Given some time to settle into and understand the league, I think we have a real player on our hands. There was a hint of a stronger & more athletic Huga Viana about his game.

Anyway, thought he looked pretty decent given the circumstances, played with a maturity beyond his years, positive and plenty to build on.

Was encouraged by his performance, always wanted the ball, and never afraid to receive it in tight situations. The people slating him, need to understand he is a 21 year making his first full start in a new league, a league widely accepted to be the most physical and hard to compete in. It seems if a player doesn't instantly shine in their first appearance for us then they are s***, yet top-level Premier League players such as Vidic, Evra, Pires, to name a few off the top of my head took months and months to settle to the demands of the League.

He clearly has real potential, loved that he always wanted the ball, and was composed and calm when he had it, and it was good to see our players were happy to give him the ball in tight spots and had trust in him. Given some time to settle into and understand the league, I think we have a real player on our hands. There was a hint of a stronger & more athletic Huga Viana about his game.

Anyway, thought he looked pretty decent given the circumstances, played with a maturity beyond his years, positive and plenty to build on.

Absolutely.

Was encouraged by his performance, always wanted the ball, and never afraid to receive it in tight situations. The people slating him, need to understand he is a 21 year making his first full start in a new league, a league widely accepted to be the most physical and hard to compete in. It seems if a player doesn't instantly shine in their first appearance for us then they are shit, yet top-level Premier League players such as Vidic, Evra, Pires, to name a few off the top of my head took months and months to settle to the demands of the League.

Great post agree with all of this 100%

Was encouraged by his performance, always wanted the ball, and never afraid to receive it in tight situations. The people slating him, need to understand he is a 21 year making his first full start in a new league, a league widely accepted to be the most physical and hard to compete in. It seems if a player doesn't instantly shine in their first appearance for us then they are s***, yet top-level Premier League players such as Vidic, Evra, Pires, to name a few off the top of my head took months and months to settle to the demands of the League.

Spot on.

He broke up a few moves in midfield but I suspect the deep midfield role is not his best.. he looked great when picking the ball up and running with it further up the pitch.

I think he has a place in this team but it's going to be at the expense of Richie, Atsu or Ayoze.

Despite getting caught in possession a couple of times late on.  He really came into the game the last half hour or so.  I thought it was a promising performance after a nervy and TBF, pretty poor start. 

I was surprised to read he was getting slated and that Souness was calling him shite.  Not surprised, mind.  That dour cunt is the most miserable, negative pundit in the game and to top it off, he hates us.  Pisses me off he is always on for our games.   

I thought he generally played really well considering it was his first start in the league against a team that is noted for it's pressing. Saying that, a shame for him that he let Mooy go too easily for the goal in combination with Manquillo.

He broke up play well and had some good distribution from his left foot, BUT got caught in possession too much and let Mooy go and just stood and admired the goal instead of tracking him.

I think he'll be a good signing but needs to get up speed with the pace of the league quickly.