Mikel Merino

Disco

Looks to be ahead of Hayden in the pecking order already judging by the subs in the last couple of games.

Interesting to see if him and Shelvey will work as a pair.

Think Hayden deserves to stay in the team tbh, wouldn't be surprised if Hayden and Merino is the main CM partnership.

Looks to be ahead of Hayden in the pecking order already judging by the subs in the last couple of games.

Interesting to see if him and Shelvey will work as a pair.

Think Hayden deserves to stay in the team tbh, wouldn't be surprised if Hayden and Merino is the main CM partnership.

This - we looked solid in the midfield.

If Hayden and Merino do well in the next game I don't think Rafa will be in a rush to drop either for Shelvey straight away after being let down like that. As captain too.

Shelvey will be available won't be?

If Hayden and Merino do well in the next game I don't think Rafa will be in a rush to drop either for Shelvey straight away after being let down like that. As captain too.

Merino just added so much 'calm' to the midfield.  There was none of the 'hollywood' passes that Shelvey always tries - he just keeps things simple, but also tackles, wins headers, closes down - but most important he 'dictates' the tempo.  He was brilliant.

Shelvey will be available won't be?

Ah shit of course. Well anyway, point still stands.

I thought this would be more his type of game, he had a tough start against Spurs and Huddersfield who both press the ball very well. I hope that permanent option is locked in tight.

the problem with playing shelves and him, is that Shelvey is so poor off the ball, merino would be run ragged trying to do the things he isn't.  He seems to have enough to play the shelves role i think. His overall game is much better, i guess it just depends on the assists, but we haven't seen shelves provided that consistently in the prem anyway

This is what I was thinking like, hence I sort of hope it just works out - but wouldn't be surprised if it was rarely if ever tried, we'll see. Having both on the pitch theoretically could have us providing the front line with very good service.

We can't be advocating Hayden ahead of Shelvey. Merino and Shelvey could be very very good. Merino is a defensive midfielder but is so good at it that you'd think otherwise. If we can get with the option of freeing up Shelvey or creating something on his own then we become so much more difficult to set up against. He has to be viewed as an upgrade on Hayden and a different planet to Colback. His defensive play was outstanding today.

The squad is limited in terms of players who can really make a significant difference; Shelvey and Merino are two out of maybe three/four who fall into that category. But by the same token, Hayden's combative nature is an asset and it would be a shame to lose that. Wonder if there is a way to fit them all in.

We can't be advocating Hayden ahead of Shelvey. Merino and Shelvey could be very very good. Merino is a defensive midfielder but is so good at it that you'd think otherwise. If we can get with the option of freeing up Shelvey or creating something on his own then we become so much more difficult to set up against. He has to be viewed as an upgrade on Hayden and a different planet to Colback. His defensive play was outstanding today.

As was Hayden's today as well, which I think Rafa would prefer then having someone in the middle who is undisciplined and not particularly great when not in possession.

If it's a straight fight for the 2nd midfield spot between Shelvey and Hayden I wouldn't necessarily bet on Shelvey like. He's a better passer obviously, but Hayden is far quicker about the pitch and more dynamic. A midfield with all three of them would look pretty tasty mind, although we'd lose a forward.

We can't be advocating Hayden ahead of Shelvey.

We can if it's better for the team, i would like to see Shelvey and Merino on paper as well but it might force Merino to do more defensive work than we'd like.

Anyway we'll see, in any case if Merino keeps playing like that he's undroppable.