Joselu (now playing for Real Madrid)

Dave

5 minutes ago, christ said:

He was nowhere near the worst we’ve had in recent memory. He was bang average, but he was a damn sight than better than someone like Rivière.

Was about to say something similar. There's plenty of competition for worse strikers we've had in recent memory that would get it before Joselu for me.

11 minutes ago, Foluwashola said:

OK is very generous. Potentially the worst striker we've had in my lifetime, and we've had some stinkers. Although it never fails to amaze how some players can revive their careers when leaving our once toxic club. 

Joelinton ranks as a travesty up front for us, although marginally improved these days away from any CF role…

12 minutes ago, Foluwashola said:

OK is very generous. Potentially the worst striker we've had in my lifetime, and we've had some stinkers. Although it never fails to amaze how some players can revive their careers when leaving our once toxic club. 

Rivierie was a million times worse. Joelinton has been a million times worse excluding the last few games.

2 minutes ago, Chris_R said:

Listing Joelinton as "worst striker" makes no sense since he isn't one.

Dubravka would probably do shit there too.

I take your point but it doesn't make 'no' sense. He's played most of his games as a striker for us. 

23 minutes ago, Chris_R said:

Listing Joelinton as "worst striker" makes no sense since he isn't one.

Dubravka would probably do shit there too.

Dubravka wasn't given the number 9 shirt and played over 50 games up front for us across last 2 years. He has a worse goals to games ratio than Rivière based on a significant number of games playing as a striker, and he was signed as a striker.

That's not to say he has other talents in other positions, I'm not saying he's bad player.

2 hours ago, Foluwashola said:

De Jong the Jong-er and Rivs were comfortably worse, imo. Though I recognize the bar is very low. :lol:

Edited by Tomato Deuce

2 hours ago, Foluwashola said:

Starter for 10: Emmanuel Riviere. Seydou Doumbia was pretty ropey and Luuk De Jong offered nothing. 

I also reckon Adam Campbell was levels below if we're just opening it to anyone. Joselu was a solid target man that wasn't clinical. I think the only drastic difference between him and Gayle in terms of quality is that old Dwight got to tour the territories of the Championship to pad his numbers. 

I remember seeing Andreas Andersson and think it doesn’t get any worse. 

the likes of facundo feyrrera, slimani and doumbia im willing to give the benefit of the doubt to as they never got a chance in the team or were injured

5 hours ago, Foluwashola said:

Your typing is pretty good for someone who has supposedly only just started primary school. 

2 hours ago, Chicane said:

What about Albert Luque? All I really remember about him was he was terrible on FM and a pain in the ass to shift cause of his high wages :lol:

Luque had a decent debut against Man Utd (I think) but got injured quickly and was bang average on his return.

Still wrapped it up against the mackems though :aww: 

5 hours ago, Chicane said:

What about Albert Luque? All I really remember about him was he was terrible on FM and a pain in the ass to shift cause of his high wages :lol:

Luque I didn't mind because there was clear ability there but he'd lost the speed that made him some dynamic. I'm also not convinced he was a forward , more a goal scoring winger. I think if he'd still had the pace and a consistent time with Shearer he'd have been grand, like a more refined Bellamy. 

Instead he was shunted between left wing and forward and didn't have the mobility to be decisive. 

I'm personally more than happy to accept someone's opinion of Joselu being that of a player in the same bracket as the likes of Riviere, Andersson, De Jong and Kuqi.

But for an objectively average start that exceeded the minimal expectation placed on him, I think he was absolutely dreadful for us, particularly given the number of games he played. He really wasn't a good target man either; nothing stuck to him and he couldn't direct a header. You only had to see how significant an improvement there was across the whole team when Rondon got into his stride - he was a good target man.

Edited by Lenny

• 1 month later...

It's relatively unsurprising these days when players move on from us and do well, however Joselu's turnaround is genuinely shocking; he was absolutely dreadful for us. He seems to have been doing well for a couple of years too :lol: