Huddersfield Town 1 - 0 Newcastle United - 20/08/17 (post-match from p37)

Disco

I'd try Richie more central maybe.

I'll never make my mind up on Ayoze, has some sublime moments but loses the ball a frightening amount.

Too many of our players have the same problem, we were awful in keeping possession generally. I don't think sitting deep helps, but other teams do it and manage to keep the ball. Too many players aren't good enough.

Guest neesy111

Talking sense by saying we were the better team in a game that we quite blatantly weren't the better team? Huddersfield look vulnerable but we couldn't string 3 passes together to take advantage.

Can't actually believe anyone would think we played better today, we were absolutely gipping

It was a terrible game, little quality on show.

Assuming the Diame sub was some kind of message by Rafa?

What would that be? He's some more shite I bought last season that I can't get working, please let me spend some more?

Oh yeah, I forgot we were still in the championship.

Guest Bordertoon

These are my initial impressions of today's match, and its significance for our season, which hopefully will be less negative and pessimistic once I've taken the time to trawl through all of the upbeat posts that no doubt comprise this thread and the forum as a whole :hmm:

For mine, this was a much more concerning performance than the one against Spurs. IMO, last weekend we were obviously facing a superior opponent to us, and it made sense to try to stifle the match for the first hour or so, and then, to use boxing parlance, to look to steal the bout with a knockout counter punch in the dying rounds as our opponents became more offensive. Of course, Shelvey's idiotic meltdown destroyed that eminently sensible strategy, but in ways that meltdown alone seemed sufficient to explain what went wrong (along with a couple of individual defensive lapses).

Today, I fear that the nature and weaknesses of our squad were laid bare - namely, that we have many decent enough footballers, who I can easily imagine inconspicuously slotting into solid or better EPL sides, but very few (if any?) players who are good enough to be the actual reason that these sides are solid or better in the first place. Basically then, we're like The Smiths without Morrissey and Marr, or U2 without Bono and the Edge, or The Beatles without Lennon and McCartney (although this might be a little too generous, as I'm not even sure I can nominate our George Harrison, although a few candidates for Ringo spring to mind ...). No, to me we're like an insipid house band with very little creative spark or real identity, even though the individual band members are mostly capable of holding a tune (not so sure about Diame and one or two others, however, who must surely be "tambourine tappers" at best).

In short, and at the risk of stating the bleeding obvious, against bang average (at best) opposition, today simply underlined for me that we lack players with game breaking qualities, and the end result is that all too often our organisation, application, industry, and effort simply fizzle out into insipid surrenders. TBH, and despite us going on to win the title, I thought that we endured more than our fair share of these last season (especially at home), but obviously the massive step up in class to the Premier League makes those sorts of performances all the more likely this time around.

Lastly, as much as I respect and trust Rafa, I think that with the combination of the players at his disposal and the formation and strategies that he favours, we could be in for some truly dour performances this campaign - the sort of performances that can only be endured when they secure points on a regular basis. Unless something major happens before the transfer window closes, I fear that we'll be about as swashbuckling as the merchant navy, and that the only reason that people will be getting out of their seats is to leave early.

Hopefully I'll be ashamed of this downcast post once the dust settles on this match, and I have time to properly digest its meaning, but in the meantime wtf, I might as well vent.

Guest alijmitchell

I feared we would lose this just because they have the confidence. But subs and selections made it worse, what is Gamez doing? Mbemba at right back was a farce, Diame coming on an awful decision and why did we pay so much for Murphy if we aren't going to use him?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What would that be? He's some more shite I bought last season that I can't get working, please let me spend some more?

Your memories will soon be realities, again.

Just got back from the game my few positive points are:

Clark is the only one who wants to play it on the deck and is comfortable in possession. Each time they pressed us the others panicked.

Merino looked decent in spells, it was his debut and he made a few mistakes but when there was a forward pass he would play it. I just wish he had more pre season with us, was a difficult game to start in.

Mbemba looked nervy at the back but actually was one of our better players today, make a great goal saving tackle.

Gayle isn't going to get many goals based on the team we played today, he did next to nothing and looks unfit. Joselu did more in 2mins than Gayle did all game. That's not his fault as time and time again we launched it forward and he had no chance. If Joselu took one of his chances it would have changed the game.

Feeling very worried at the minute, is it too early to say must win next game?

I wonder why? Could it be the championship manager or the championship players?

The championship players our manager bought such as Diame?

For the championship. Yes.

Didn't think we played that badly. I'm not surprised by the meltdown though.

Richie was terrible. He needs replaced for Murphy.

really ?  i thought we were shit against an average hard working team ,no fucking idea how to create a chance with no plan b and our Diame is woeful .Benitez is in a awful position as he will have to spout the same stuff every week as we fight relegation as huddersfield an most other teams have improved and we have gone backwards .

Diame wasn't even good enough for that. Same as Lazaar, Sels & Gamez.

Today, and the start in general, has been alarming. We look as if we lack the confidence and quality to pose a threat in this league. However, it'll do us no good whatsoever to shit the bed at this early stage. Rafa has continually pleaded with the fans to stay behind the team, and that's what we need to do.

We'll be up against it for the majority of the season, but I do trust Rafa to be able to make enough out of this team to survive.

Guest firetotheworks

Diame did exactly what he was brought in to do, regardless of his under-par performances. I'm not sure what the point is. He was bought for the championship, we were promoted and now he needs to be replaced.

Today, and the start in general, has been alarming. We look as if we lack the confidence and quality to pose a threat in this league. However, it'll do us no good whatsoever to shit the bed at this early stage. Rafa has continually pleaded with the fans to stay behind the team, and that's what we need to do.

We'll be up against it for the majority of the season, but I do trust Rafa to be able to make enough out of this team to survive.

with that shower of shit we will struggle imho and confidence/heads will drop accordingly

We got promoted, that was the priority with the squad Rafa put together, and Diame scored some goals which won games. Now we are in the Premier we need to buy better class players. Maybe you agree with Ashley though and think a shit budget is the way to go.

Today, and the start in general, has been alarming. We look as if we lack the confidence and quality to pose a threat in this league. However, it'll do us no good whatsoever to s*** the bed at this early stage. Rafa has continually pleaded with the fans to stay behind the team, and that's what we need to do.

Not with the quality in that squad no chance. Unfortunately also due to now going to Poundland we are buying in players who are surely way down the managers list. I've said it time and time again with this fat cunt in charge we will always be a club going between the two divisions. It's only a matter of time before the manager walks ala Keegan as he has no chance of properly managing this club in the current climate.

Huddersfield did the same party trick last season started well and then collapsed, we'll end up ahead of them but same as last season, need to beat teams that could be potentially around us at the end of the season.

Last season we had the difficult trips like QPR and Rotherham. Now we only have to deal with the likes of man united and Chelsea.

Wish people would stop comparing last season to this. We were favourites to go up, with a pretty decent set of championship players. Now we're in a much harder league with the same fucking players.

Need to actually go out with the intention of having the ball. At the moment there's no point bringing Shelvey back in, playing Gayle, Perez or Ritchie.

This setup might aswell have Saivet and Colback sit infront of the back 4, Murphy, Atsu and Aarons in behind Joselu and Mitrovic for the long ball and counter. No point playing players who actually want the ball because the team's clearly set up to not have any of it.