Other clubs' transfers

Greg

Guest chopey

Very cherry picked but aye we will see. I think you'll be surprised.

Whats your best team and formation Froggy if the current crop are all fit ?

NBC's (I know, I know) transfer grades:

https://soccer.nbcsports.com/2019/08/08/premier-league-transfer-grades/

Arsenal B+

Aston Villa B+

Bournemouth C

Brighton C+

Burnley D

Chelsea C-

Crystal Palace D

Everton B+

Leicester B

Liverpool C

Man City B

Man U B+

Newcastle C

Norwich D

Sheff Utd C+

Southampton C+

Spurs A-

Watford B+

West Ham B+

Wolves C

I think you have to give Arsenal more credit because the expectations were so low at the beginning of the window. Ramsey had gone for nothing, and the thinking was that without CL they would (a) be reluctant to spend big and (b) the big guys wouldn't want to go there. I think they've had an amazing window. You could ask whether they've sorted out their defence, but it's not like they did nothing, and Saliba could be a great long-term get. You have to grade Aston Villa highly simply on the basis of the extraordinary amount they've spent, although obviously it remains to be seen whether it will work. All they will want to do is stay up, for now. Bournemouth probably did enough, Burnley probably didn't, and God only knows what Brighton will look like.  Palace kept Zaha and at least picked up a handful of mediocre-but-probably-well-suited players. Everton and Leicester grades are fair, Liverpool kinda did what we did last year, and Man City upgraded a touch.

I'm in the camp that thinks Man U did pretty well. I really like their options going forward even though there's no star goalscorer, and I think Wan-Bissaka would be a terrific buy even if he wasn't addressing a serious need. Sure, they spent a ton, but they have a ton, and like Arsenal they would have expected to struggle to attract the really big guys. Not convinced that OGS is the answer at all, mind.

In theory your window isn't too bad, but losing Rafa and bringing in Bruce makes the whole exercise almost academic. Norwich are clearly playing it safe and hoping they're stable enough to maybe edge ahead of three other teams. Sheff Utd have done enough to make things interesting if they hit the ground running. No idea about Southampton's new guys tbh but it sounds like they've made additions where they wanted to. Watford made their usual savvy and faintly dodgy buys, and West Ham may finally have got a proper couple of forwards. Not sure why they graded Wolves so low - feels like they pretty clearly upgraded the squad and they held onto Jiminez and Dendoncker, spending a lot of money in the process.

As for us - well I think A- might be generous but I really can't complain at all. After spending literally nothing on transfers last year yet still achieving top 4 and the CL final, we had to spend. If rumours are true, Poch wanted Ndombele, Lo Celso, and Sessegnon, so, you know, that'll do. Keeping Alderweireld was a quiet triumph, although I guess there's still a chance both him and Eriksen will leave for Europe (and Danny Rose too?). Of the three I'd - somewhat weirdly - rather lose Eriksen, because of the guys we've brought in. Ask me in September how good this window's been.

I'm in the camp that thinks Man U did pretty well. I really like their options going forward even though there's no star goalscorer, and I think Wan-Bissaka would be a terrific buy even if he wasn't addressing a serious need. Sure, they spent a ton, but they have a ton, and like Arsenal they would have expected to struggle to attract the really big guys. Not convinced that OGS is the answer at all, mind.

Wan-Bissaka wasn't addressing a serious need? He was addressing the most serious need. :lol: No more Ashley Young at RB. Signing a RB was priority number one this summer.

De Gea

AWB - Lindelof - Maguire - Shaw

McTominay - Matic

Mata - Pogba - Martial

Rashford.

It'll be something like that. I expect Greenwood to force his way in soon enough.

EDIT: Forgot Pogba. Night shift. :lol:

Wan-Bissaka wasn't addressing a serious need? He was addressing the most serious need. :lol: No more Ashley Young at RB. Signing a RB was priority number one this summer.

He was, that was precisely my point. Wow, you must have been more rattled by this window than we thought :lol: :shifty:. You realize I was supporting you, don't you?!

Guest chopey

De Gea

McTominay - Matic

Mata - Pogba - Martial

Rashford.

It'll be something like that. I expect Greenwood to force his way in soon enough.

I can see now why Longstaff was linked.

Surprised folks think Man Utd have had a poor window. Wan-Bissaka has potentially solved their right-back problem for the next 5-10 years. Maguire is a quality defender. Definitely overpriced but Utd have a ton of money. So it doesn't matter whether Maguire is value for money or not. 

They haven't bought anybody who will improve them hugely for midfield or attack though, and sold their only proven goalscorer

It's not like they were like Liverpool were before van Dijk and Allison were signed, they had issues all over the pitch

De Gea

McTominay - Matic

Mata - Pogba - Martial

Rashford.

Exactly my thoughts - the regen is terrible. Surely they had a longer list than "Longstaff, S" to fill that gaping hole?

Did Leicester sign a centre-back in the end? Their keeper, full-backs and front six could push the top 6, Evans is good but is Morgan still first choice?

They have that Benkovic (sp?) who was with Rogers at Celtic last season back, maybe he'll get a game. No idea if he's any good or not. There's that Turkish lad who looked ropey last season too.

De Gea

McTominay - Matic

Mata - Pogba - Martial

Rashford.

Exactly my thoughts - the regen is terrible. Surely they had a longer list than "Longstaff, S" to fill that gaping hole?

First thing through my head as well, that midfield is a horror story for a team with ambition.

I can honestly see them being absolutely fucking terrible next season, don't think old man solks has anything about him at all.

McTominay is absolutely brilliant and it really shows how little some people on here know. :lol:

Matic is the one who needs replaced.

I haven't noticed him enough, but I think some might have his CB appearance in the 3-2 win against us in mind. He was absolutely woeful in that position.