Other clubs' transfers

Greg

On top of the depression of just sitting on the bench week in, week out, I'd hate to suddenly be chucked in to the starting line up at a moment's notice for the first time in, for example, two years. One mistake and that defines those two years of your already short career. I'd be shitting my keks. But I guess that's why I'm not a professional goalkeeper. Certainly not the fact I'm a foot too short.

Ollie Watkins bought for £1.8m sold for £30m. Benrahma bought for £1.5 m sold for £30m.

Fair play whoever's doing the scouting at Brentford.

All stats based scouting like a moneyball of football. Even before this summer they'd made big profits on lots of other players in the last few years

Yeah their owner is Matthew Benham. He was a professional gambler, owns a company who were basically a big team of data analysts and they made fortunes using their own ratings system for football teams. He then became majority shareholder of Midtjylland in Denmark - they used a lot of data analysis for recruitment / set pieces etc and won the league twice. Now doing the same at Brentford and seems to be working pretty well there too.

I'd assumed that Leeds tweet with the fish and chips on deadline day, was a reference to him being a surprise signing for them. Who was that about then?

Raphinha. Some Rennes fans got rightly annoyed that he'd turn down Champions League football with them to sign for newly-promoted Leeds, calling us a fish and chip country.

On top of the depression of just sitting on the bench week in, week out, I'd hate to suddenly be chucked in to the starting line up at a moment's notice for the first time in, for example, two years. One mistake and that defines those two years of your already short career. I'd be shitting my keks. But I guess that's why I'm not a professional goalkeeper. Certainly not the fact I'm a foot too short.

If it's a club you support, it's just like free tickets [with the chance of being called from the stands, comic book style] to every game.

I'd agree that you'd be shitting yourself if you were thrown in, but I think that often helps a keeper on his debut. Fear heightens the senses and reflexes which can lead to remarkable performances.

Yeah, what a life Harper must have had. Didn’t have to leave the region, I remember Robson once saying he got paid a helluva lot of money to be a number 2, he got to train every week, watch the football every week, and played occasionally. Now he’s got a job on the back of that as a coach. :lol: