Other clubs' transfers

Greg

1 hour ago, SUPERTOON said:

Southampton about to be taken over according to the athletic.

A Serbian-born cable television tycoon has become the latest entrant to the Premier League's eclectic roster of club-owners after striking a £100m deal to buy Southampton.

Sky News has learnt that Dragan Solak, founder of United Group, has invested a chunk of his fortune in a controlling stake in the Saints, who sit 14th in the table, 10 points clear of the relegation zone.

Mr Solak is understood to be behind a new holding company which will examine offers for clubs in other international leagues, replicating a strategy employed by the owners of Manchester City.

Rasmus Ankersen, the former Brentford co-director of football, and Henrik Kraft, a London-based investor, are also involved in the Southampton takeover.

The deal will bring an end to the majority ownership of Gao Jisheng, a Chinese businessman who bought an 80 per cent stake in the club in 2017.

Southampton have been seeking a new owner for months.

It is the first deal to have been approved by the Premier League since a government-commissioned report by the former sports minister, Tracey Crouch, called for more rigorous scrutiny of club takeovers.

Her inquiry was initiated after the furious reaction to six English clubs' decision to join a European Super League early last year.

It acquired additional impetus after the Premier League approved the takeover of Newcastle by a consortium led by Saudi Arabia's sovereign wealth fund.

The Magpies' acquisition by one of the world's wealthiest investors infuriated a number of Premier League clubs, triggering the resignation of the league's chairman, Gary Hoffman.

Southampton did not respond to repeated attempts to contact it on Monday night and Tuesday morning.

21 minutes ago, Miggys First Goal said:

A Serbian-born cable television tycoon has become the latest entrant to the Premier League's eclectic roster of club-owners after striking a £100m deal to buy Southampton.

Sky News has learnt that Dragan Solak, founder of United Group, has invested a chunk of his fortune in a controlling stake in the Saints, who sit 14th in the table, 10 points clear of the relegation zone.

Mr Solak is understood to be behind a new holding company which will examine offers for clubs in other international leagues, replicating a strategy employed by the owners of Manchester City.

Rasmus Ankersen, the former Brentford co-director of football, and Henrik Kraft, a London-based investor, are also involved in the Southampton takeover.

The deal will bring an end to the majority ownership of Gao Jisheng, a Chinese businessman who bought an 80 per cent stake in the club in 2017.

Southampton have been seeking a new owner for months.

It is the first deal to have been approved by the Premier League since a government-commissioned report by the former sports minister, Tracey Crouch, called for more rigorous scrutiny of club takeovers.

Her inquiry was initiated after the furious reaction to six English clubs' decision to join a European Super League early last year.

It acquired additional impetus after the Premier League approved the takeover of Newcastle by a consortium led by Saudi Arabia's sovereign wealth fund.

The Magpies' acquisition by one of the world's wealthiest investors infuriated a number of Premier League clubs, triggering the resignation of the league's chairman, Gary Hoffman.

Southampton did not respond to repeated attempts to contact it on Monday night and Tuesday morning.

This will end in tears. 

39 minutes ago, Miggys First Goal said:

Wasn’t Henry Mauriss supposed to be a cable television mogul?

Unlike Mauriss you can actually watch the TV stations this bloke runs.

Was there any reason the Chinese needed to get out? They’ve sold up at a loss of over £100m.

10 minutes ago, christ said:

Was there any reason the Chinese needed to get out? They’ve sold up at a loss of over £100m.

Weren't Chinese nationals recently banned from investing in foreign interests by their own government? Sure i read that somewhere but could well be just making it up

No didn't make it up....

https://www.dw.com/en/chinas-communist-party-forcing-investors-to-pull-money-out-of-european-football/a-57171818

Edited by gjohnson
accuracy

4 hours ago, jack j said:

A bloke who can't get a game for rangers costing 4 million more than an England International. Love wasting money do Everton

He’s a talent and a half. Was brilliant for Scotland when he played. Don’t be silly. Very decent signing for Everton 

Edited by gdm

On 02/01/2022 at 15:54, toon25 said:

Everton signing a Rangers RB for 16 mil.

Where the fuck do they get their money from? 

On 03/01/2022 at 02:14, jack j said:

Rangers 2nd choice right back at that...

4 hours ago, jack j said:

A bloke who can't get a game for rangers costing 4 million more than an England International. Love wasting money do Everton

4 hours ago, The Prophet said:

He's much younger like.

24 minutes ago, gdm said:

He’s a talent and a half. Was brilliant for Scotland when he played. Don’t be silly. Very decent signing for Everton 

In case anyone else is curious, the player is Nathan Patterson. Name wasn’t mentioned once. :lol:

3 hours ago, Miggys First Goal said:

"A cable TV tycoon you say?"

Luke_Edwards-small.png

6 hours ago, christ said:

I might be adding 2 and 2 and getting 5. But it could be to do with the Evergrande Group and more generally troubles in the Chinese property market. It's not been covered as extensively as it might have been, but there are rumblings that the issues there are similar in magnitude and potential impact to the stuff in the US that led to the 2008 crash. Don't ask me anymore I'm already pretty much out of my depth in writing this message!

10 hours ago, Geordie_once_removed said:

I might be adding 2 and 2 and getting 5. But it could be to do with the Evergrande Group and more generally troubles in the Chinese property market. It's not been covered as extensively as it might have been, but there are rumblings that the issues there are similar in magnitude and potential impact to the stuff in the US that led to the 2008 crash. Don't ask me anymore I'm already pretty much out of my depth in writing this message!

Wasn't it that loads of people thought Xi loved football so they all started buying clubs to curry favour, then he did a 180 and declared it was all to extravagant so people were essentially left with clubs that didn't achieve the soft power goals they expected. 

24 minutes ago, GeordieDazzler said:

Wasn't it that loads of people thought Xi loved football so they all started buying clubs to curry favour, then he did a 180 and declared it was all to extravagant so people were essentially left with clubs that didn't achieve the soft power goals they expected. 

Certainly sounds very plausible. As Xi has tightened his power I can well imagine how his personal views, or people's beliefs on what his personal views are, would result in actions like this. A loss of 100€ million in the context of the Chinese economy isn't much, especially as there will be many ways to offset this 'loss'.

Just now, SUPERTOON said:

Thought they had a bit of money ?

I put it to my Leeds season ticket holding mate, got this reply:

"To expensive for us matey. Realistic links to us are Swift from Reading and O'Brien from Hudds. Bielsa was keen on Lanzini but after the weekend can't see that happening and the other players was Bereton Diaz but I think Blackburn have just slapped 30m price tag on him"