Other clubs' transfers

Greg

4 minutes ago, HTT II said:

He will be to Spurs what Costa was to Chelsea under Conte

That’s a huge assumption mind, I agree he’s a good player but there is a lot that could go wrong there.

Guest HTT II
2 minutes ago, Froggy said:

:yao:

In that he gives his all, never hides, is a good professional on and off the pitch (diving and histrionics aside), your own man Ronaldo is just as much of a shit house act as Richarlison. Give me that over some meek nobody who hides all the time and trust me we’ve had many, Alan Smith being one of the worst examples.

Just want to say firstly, that I’m happy with our business so far. I do think however that, with other teams making good moves in the market, we could end up spending 100m and still be no further forward (relatively speaking). 

Just goes to show how much money will be required to make that next step up.

1 minute ago, McCormick said:

Just want to say firstly, that I’m happy with our business so far. I do think however that, with other teams making good moves in the market, we could end up spending 100m and still be no further forward (relatively speaking). 

When people make these calls like top 6 next year or the season after they are forgetting that everyone else is spending money to.

Guest HTT II
1 minute ago, Nine said:

That’s a huge assumption mind, I agree he’s a good player but there is a lot that could go wrong there.

He will thrive under Conte, he seemed to revel under pressure at Everton last season and he seems an intense player on the pitch, similar to Bellamy for us or Costa for Chelsea and Conte loves that type of character. Spurs have always had too many nice players or soft players. 

1 minute ago, McCormick said:

Yep. This is why I keep saying we need to spend in excess of £130m to really gain ground. 

West Ham have signed 2 highly regarded players for £80m

Guest HTT II
2 minutes ago, McCormick said:

We will start the season almost like a new team, fresh. That alone regardless of incomings and outgoings will be huge. We finished 7 points behind WHU last season after the worst start ever with pretty much a relegation form team before Howe arrived and a squad that was pretty much the same that took us up a few seasons prior. A few key players of the calibre of Bruno and we will give anyone outside of the top 4-6 a run for their money.

8 minutes ago, HTT II said:

He averages 10 goals a season and through his career is almost a 1-3 goalscorer, is young, can play a variety of positions/roles. Is Brazilian, hard working, great temperament, it’s not hard to see. He will be to Spurs what Costa was to Chelsea under Conte, but less prolific. That’s a frightening forward line at Spurs. I would have loved him here. 

Great temperament?? Thinks he’s better than everyone else, huffs around when things are going his way, greedy in front of goal and misses sitters for fun. He’s been awful almost every time we’ve played against Everton over the past couple of years. 

I don’t think he’s rubbish and he has something about him but for £50m I’d expect a top level player if I was a Spurs fan. He isn’t going to play ahead of Son or Kane and I can’t see him slotting in as a RW. 

like the post above I think £30m would be about right for him. Two £50m transfers blows my mind. 

15 minutes ago, HTT II said:

He averages 10 goals a season and through his career is almost a 1-3 goalscorer, is young, can play a variety of positions/roles. Is Brazilian, hard working, great temperament, it’s not hard to see. He will be to Spurs what Costa was to Chelsea under Conte, but less prolific. That’s a frightening forward line at Spurs. I would have loved him here. 

Think of the potential pens/goal opportunities for Kane he’ll bring with his shithousery 

Guest HTT II
1 minute ago, St1pe said:

Great temperament?? Thinks he’s better than everyone else, huffs around when things are going his way, greedy in front of goal and misses sitters for fun. He’s been awful almost every time we’ve played against Everton over the past couple of years. 

I don’t think he’s rubbish and he has something about him but for £50m I’d expect a top level player if I was a Spurs fan. He isn’t going to play ahead of Son or Kane and I can’t see him slotting in as a RW. 

like the post above I think £30m would be about right for him. Two £50m transfers blows my mind. 

I just see a player who selflessly gives his all for the cause, chases everything down, every player, is constantly battling and aye he can be greedy but that’s him taking it upon himself to be the main responsibility for things, that’s leadership on the pitch. Let’s be honest, prices are crazy today for players, is he worth 50m no, but he will more than prove himself at Spurs as a sound investment. Let’s not forget we spent 40m on Joelinton… These are the figures even average players can go for. Richarlison has the capability to be a top-class player, you don’t start for Brazil if you’re a bit meh!

2 minutes ago, RodneyCisse said:

Think of the potential pens/goal opportunities for Kane he’ll bring with his shithousery 

I’d never considered this. Kane is definitely going in my fpl next season. 

1 minute ago, Gaztoon said:

Got a feeling this seasons title race could be a 4 teamer.

Both Chelsea and spurs have crushed it so far this window.

Top 4 is locked in already, Arsenal and Man U probably have 5-6th sorted then it’s between West Ham, Leicester Wolves and us for 7th downwards.

Guest HTT II

One other thing to think about is Kane plays a more deeper role now for Spurs and with Son’s pace and awareness positionally and Richarlison’s aggressive pressing, it opens up Spurs’ attack quite well for lots of different avenues to exploit. People are too obsessed with stats these days, I know Wood isn’t the best player in the world and only scored 2 for us, but you sometimes or always should, look at what a player brings to a side on and off the ball outside of just numbers. Without Wood we may have went down. If Kane only gets say 10 goals next season people will say he’s on the decline, but from what I saw of him last season, he was basically Pirlo or Modric levels for Spurs as a deeper forward, creating chances, splitting play and dragging the opposition out. If Richarlison gets 10 goals for Spurs next season that will be huge to them. Only the elite get more than 15 + these days.

1 hour ago, The College Dropout said:

The PL is flush with money. It’s a big reason why we haven’t signed any star players from other PL clubs. 30/40m doesn’t get the job done 

I suppose it can’t be helped (FFP, sponsorship income etc.) but we’re operating in similar markets. Most teams in our bracket can spend 100m a season and 30m per player reasonably easily; making ground and indeed surpassing these teams requires going beyond that.

This idea we have of boxing smart in the market and employing a strict wage structure is sensible stuff in theory but it negates any potential advantages we have (our advantage obviously being a team with very moneyed backers). Buying young promising players from Europe and bedding them in isn’t some unique model that will differentiate ourselves from our competition, as most teams are doing this and have years upon years of foundation-work laid down. Ironically, we have a slight competitive disadvantage there. The only persistently proven model for big success in the PL is giving a good manager as much money to spend as possible.

Anyway, I don’t want to sound miserable and ungrateful. I’m delighted we’re in the conversation nowadays! I just think we need to go further if we want to realize our lofty ambitions (either way I’m just happy we’re at least trying now).

Edited by McCormick

6 minutes ago, HTT II said:

There are always anomalies…

Kleberson won the World Cup as an integral part of the best Brazilian side of the last 20 years. Don't disrespect the man. 

Guest HTT II
2 minutes ago, Flip said:

Kleberson won the World Cup as an integral part of the best Brazilian side of the last 20 years. Don't disrespect the man. 

Like I said there are always anomalies, nah he was a decent player, not a patch on Gilberto though, how much would he be worth today…

17 minutes ago, McCormick said:

I suppose it can’t be helped (FFP, sponsorship income etc.) but we’re operating in similar markets. Most teams in our bracket can spend 100m a season and 30m per player reasonably easily; making ground and indeed surpassing these teams requires going beyond that.

This idea we have of boxing smart in the market and employing a strict wage structure is sensible stuff in theory but it negates any potential advantages we have (our advantage obviously being a team with very moneyed backers). Buying young promising players from Europe and bedding them in isn’t some unique model that will differentiate ourselves from our competition, as most teams are doing this and have years upon years of foundation-work laid down. Ironically, we have slight competitive disadvantage there. The only persistently proven model for big success in the PL is giving a good manager as much money as possible.

Anyway, I don’t want to sound miserable and ungrateful. I’m delighted we’re in the conversation nowadays! I just think we need to go further if we want to realize our lofty ambitions (either way I’m just happy we’re at least trying now).

I agree. We have to flex the Saudi money for a competitive advantage. It's that simple. 

4 minutes ago, Flip said:

He was brilliant in that WC btw - I actually forgot how good that side was

Who was the 3rd CB alongside Lucio and Edmilson btw?

Guest HTT II
Just now, Mikky said:

Roque Junior?

Just now, Mikky said:

Roque Junior. Absolute beast at the World Cup better than the two others, but another one that bit the dust after coming to the PL. 

Yeah, not a big fan of Richarlison but he should slot in very well in Conte's front three. 

Although Sterling and Raphinha seem suited to Tuchel's system I have a strange feeling about Boehly's consortium and Chelsea. They seem happy to continue the policy of throwing big money without any consideration to squad balance and togetherness. It will be a slow process but I think standards will drop off in the next few years there - similarly to Man Utd after Ferguson.