Other clubs' transfers

Greg

1 minute ago, xLiaaamx said:

Am I missing something with Cucurella? He's looked decent but 62 million seems insane especially when you signed Chilwell for huge money a year ago. 

Rotation innit. Money no object apparently. Good solid player but not worth much more than half that.

3 minutes ago, xLiaaamx said:

Am I missing something with Cucurella? He's looked decent but 62 million seems insane especially when you signed Chilwell for huge money a year ago. 

Chelsea are doing way too much. They're embarrassing. Think it's all going to blow up in their face.

I just hope we are poised to nick some players off them while they're overdoing things and continuing to pile players in.

Chelsea are going to be very hard to predict this season. They’re just throwing money nonstop and some of it will stick but it’s not exactly good business. They deserve to have it all go sour based on how they’ve gamed the system for years. I think if they start poorly there’ll be a lot of pressure on Tuchel with the new owners. Will be fun to watch if they can’t get things to gel. Havertz is such a good player though so I’m sure he’ll have a good season 

I think Chelsea are on the decline under Tuchel. There were many signs of it last season, Tuchel is far too negative and can't get decent numbers out of any of his attackers. Don't think their transfer business this summer will do much to address their issues. 

Bookmark this for when they seal the quadruple next season. 

25 minutes ago, xLiaaamx said:

I think this deal revolves around Colwill whereby Brighton asked that his buy back clause be £40m to which Chelsea said to Brighton we’ll pay a bit more for Cucurella and just loan our player to you 

26 minutes ago, xLiaaamx said:

It does seem a mental price. 

1 hour ago, TRC said:

How are West Ham spending all of this money? last 5 years they are -£350m in net spend?

Because they run at a profit before player trading, losses during covid have been written off, and transfers aren't included as the full fee at the time of purchase for FFP, the fee is split over the length of the player's contract.

On 03/08/2022 at 15:28, Disco said:

Thought he supposed to be good?

We don't know! He's never had much of a run of games and has seen the likes of Gavi/Pedri/Nico leapfrog him.

That said, the fact that 4 different managers have never given him a consistent run - Koeman straight wanted to get rid of him - has to mean something.

Edited by Village Idiot

2 minutes ago, Village Idiot said:

We don't know! He's never had much of a run of games and has seen the likes of Gavi/Pedri/Nico leapfrog him.

That said, the fact that 4 different managers have never given him a consistent run - Koeman straight wanted to get rid of him - has to mean something.

I know it’s an easy life and decent place to live but to go to MLS seems drastic. 

2 hours ago, Jackie Broon said:

The clearing of the 1.5b debt isn't relevant to FFP, there's nothing for us to take the PL to court about there.

At the moment they can spend like they are and stay within FFP rules due to their £1/2b revenue.

Nick de Marco thinks otherwise 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-10631815/amp/Chelseas-rivals-question-Roman-Abramovich-write-debt-without-breaking-rules.html

6 minutes ago, Disco said:

I know it’s an easy life and decent place to live but to go to MLS seems drastic. 

No idea. It does seem like a career misstep to me, even if Galaxy will probably pay him a larger wage than what he would get outside of Barça.

I thought Cucatella looked good on the ball but for a player that got forward so much, he didn’t have the recovery pace when a counter attack went down his side. He couldn’t even catch up with a player who was running with the ball ffs. 

32 minutes ago, Manxst said:

Well if that's the case then the £100m debt we had to Mike Ashley, which was cleared when we were sold to the consortium, would be an issue for us.

5 minutes ago, Jackie Broon said:

Well if that's the case then the £100m debt we had to Mike Ashley, which was cleared when we were sold to the consortium, would be an issue for us.

Yup. Perhaps more so, given that PIF can actually pay that debt to Ashley while Boehly etc can’t pay the debt to Roman.

The overriding point though is that if the debt doesn’t affect FFP then they can (for now) spend shit-loads. If things change and it does affect FFP then it’s effectively a £1.5bn loss which would dwarf any potential income…so they may as well spend whatever they like as it wouldn’t make a difference. They’d never be able to square income/loss over three years.

7 minutes ago, leffe186 said:

Yup. Perhaps more so, given that PIF can actually pay that debt to Ashley while Boehly etc can’t pay the debt to Roman.

The overriding point though is that if the debt doesn’t affect FFP then they can (for now) spend shit-loads. If things change and it does affect FFP then it’s effectively a £1.5bn loss which would dwarf any potential income…so they may as well spend whatever they like as it wouldn’t make a difference. They’d never be able to square income/loss over three years.

The debt was built up over many years, a big chunk before FFP, since FFP came in I assume the PL and UEFA must have been satisfied that Chelsea have accorded with their rules in terms of the amount of losses that can be covered each season by secure funding.

That secure funding can be provided in a variety of ways, including as debt or share issues.

I doubt the PL would apply the rules retrospectively to debt from prior to FFP or prevent clubs from transferring debt to a different form of secure funding.

Also, if for example the PL counts a debt a as secure funding covering losses one year and then counts it again when it is paid off that would be double counting.

The only way I can see that debt affects FFP is in terms of interest payments, but Abramovich's loan was interest free.

Although it's definitely not my area of expertise and I may well be completely wrong.

1 minute ago, LFEE said:

Ashley didn’t clear any debt. It was sold as part of the sale price? He never cleared any debt he just transferred to the club as an interest free loan.

It was the same with Chelsea IIRC, the debt was part of the sale cost.