Other clubs' transfers

Greg

8 hours ago, The Prophet said:

It is strange that no one else was in for him at that price.

Could be he was after mental wages that only West Ham were willing to pay? He's a regular in the Brazil first XI. Would guess he's on a lot more than Isak.

Both Lyon and Paqueta are shocked to know that there were so little interests outside. Obviously his agent has been trying very hard to knock doors but only West Han answered.

There must be something wrong re Paqueta.

17 minutes ago, nufc123 said:

What a dick. All these french owners are so weird.

Mainly Aulas who always whines about other clubs. We find it funny cos it isn't NUFC that he's on about now.

2 hours ago, Zero said:

Both Lyon and Paqueta are shocked to know that there were so little interests outside. Obviously his agent has been trying very hard to knock doors but only West Han answered.

There must be something wrong re Paqueta.

I think he messed up his own situation by insisting on a move, he could have still got his agent to look discreetly for clubs, but have one eye on January so an amazing world cup could get him the dream move he actually wanted. Instead of 'settling' for West Ham which, even though they've had a good window, they've been operating at their ceiling for 2 seasons now, not sure they'll get to the next level. Whereas we're currently a bit further back, but the ceiling is a lot higher and it's a more exciting project to be part of. He left Lyon because they finished 8th. West Ham with the start they've had aren't guaranteed as high as that. So it is definitely a strange move. 

15 minutes ago, kingxlnc said:

I think he messed up his own situation by insisting on a move, he could have still got his agent to look discreetly for clubs, but have one eye on January so an amazing world cup could get him the dream move he actually wanted. Instead of 'settling' for West Ham which, even though they've had a good window, they've been operating at their ceiling for 2 seasons now, not sure they'll get to the next level. Whereas we're currently a bit further back, but the ceiling is a lot higher and it's a more exciting project to be part of. He left Lyon because they finished 8th. West Ham with the start they've had aren't guaranteed as high as that. So it is definitely a strange move. 

Howe and owners probably not impressed by Paqueta pushing for a move. If he can do it once, he can certainty do it again if he doesn't get his way.

3 hours ago, nufc123 said:

What a dick. All these french owners are so weird.

I think they like to try and push bad guy image over to other clubs. They likely want to sell, they know they likely don’t have the financial resources not too, but they know their fans will kick off if they do sell. Pushing the blame onto other clubs and/or individual players keeps it off them. I’m not sure if they do it with other foreign teams, but pushing the ant-English narrative may go down well with some supporters. If the roles were reversed and Ligue One was the rich league, I know and anti-French stance by our club owners would work wonders over here.

French league has a massive chip on its shoulder as we keep taking their best players, it’s fairly understandable why they’re salty. Lyon probably valued him way higher than what he’s gone for as well but because they’re either strapped for cash or Paqueta was desperate for the move they ended up selling 

6 minutes ago, gbandit said:

French league has a massive chip on its shoulder

Most big European leagues have this with regards to the Premier League (perhaps understandably so). The Italian League is probably the worst for it.

I mean, I get it; lower midtable PL teams now have the finances to seemingly outspend 99% of European clubs (and that’s including some very historically significant ones).

Aulas’s comments were typically twatful, but ultimately he’s right, isn’t he?  Paqueta has been available for some time, and no-one was breaking down the door for him.  Arsenal looked nailed on for Bruno before he came here.  We had to fight Milan for Botman. 

I never understood NUFC supporters’ obsession with the bloke - there’s clearly a rabbit off with him.  As mentioned above, West Ham’s natural ceiling has been reached - they’re unlikely to get any higher.  This isn’t to say he won’t prove a good signing for them - but the fact that no top club has even been linked says a lot to me.

1 minute ago, Doctor Zaius said:

Wonder why we didnt fancy Pacqueta at all? 

Too expensive? FFP? Howe didnt want him? Not sure there was ever any genuine interest from us.

My guess is we feel he’s a number 10 and have no Intentions of playing a system which involves a 10. 

17 minutes ago, McCormick said:

Most big European leagues have this with regards to the Premier League (perhaps understandably so). The Italian League is probably the worst for it.

I mean, I get it; lower midtable PL teams now have the finances to seemingly outspend 99% of European clubs (and that’s including some very historically significant ones).

This is 100% it and it's only getting worse, starting to feel a bit like the "English Super League" this season

Some absolutely hilarious takes on here. Go read Vickery’s say on him; Paqueta is a starter for Brazil, has tremendous versatility and is genuinely considered a future world class player. 

If you can’t see any of that or spend 20 minutes reading actual analysis of the kind of player he is via the usual online scouting sites (elite in pressures, pressing, fantastic dribbler, etc) or do some YouTube scouting and see why he’s such a good player I don’t really know what to tell you. 

the random narrative on here that he’s some bad egg or something is wrong with him is a funny way to look weirdly petty. Perhaps, we couldn’t afford him? Perhaps we tried and failed late? Perhaps Howe prioritized other positions?

Edited by Kanji

6 minutes ago, Kanji said:

Some absolutely hilarious takes on here. Go read Vickery’s say on him; Paqueta is a starter for Brazil, has tremendous versatility and is genuinely considered a future world class player. 

If you can’t see any of that or spend 20 minutes reading actual analysis of the kind of player he is via the usual online scouting sites (elite in pressures, pressing, fantastic dribbler, etc) or do some YouTube scouting and see why he’s such a good player I don’t really know what to tell you. 

the random narrative on here that he’s some bad egg or something is wrong with him is a funny way to look weirdly petty. Perhaps, we couldn’t afford him? Perhaps we tried and failed late? Perhaps Howe prioritized other positions?

People love to engage in wishful thinking and rationalisation rather than face up to the possibility that we've potentially missed out on an amazing player. 

Same story with those insisting we've never had any interest despite plenty of evidence to the contrary. 

Edited by Barnes23

1 minute ago, Barnes23 said:

People love to engage in wishful thinking and rationalisation rather than face up to the possibility that we've potentially missed out on an amazing player. 

Same story with those insisting we've never had any interest despite plenty of evidence to the contrary. 

“were we really interested in him?”

despite most of the usual journalists saying we’ve looked into him, interested in him, etc since Jan and most recently the last 2 weeks. People don’t read. They never do. They just make wild blanket comments. 

8 minutes ago, Kanji said:

That’s all well and good, but the question isn’t just “why didn’t Newcastle buy him” but “why didn’t any of the top six clubs in England, the top clubs in Spain or the top clubs in Italy buy him?”

I think he looks great, but that’s a genuine question to be answered.

People always see a price tag and assume if you have that why not when there are all kind of other considerations, some nonsense like agent fuckery, some less like player genuinely responding to the buying clubs overtures and being won over, others like family demands of where they want to live (yeah I know it's frustrating London has sway like that but it very much does) etc etc etc. 

Paqueta has been shopped around all the Europe clubs for the whole summer. It’s not like West Han caught everyone else off-guard like what we did to Bruno. All clubs except West Han chose not to go ahead.

We even tried bidding for Barnes Maddison etc, but not for Paqueta. 

West Ham may prove everyone wrong but that doesn’t mean we are wrong to suspect there are concerns from all the clubs.

Edited by Zero